PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever listen to music?

vort3xr6
August 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM
While racing? I have always found listening to a good playlist while riding has made me more focused and kept my adrenaline going great.

Similar to listening to music while working out.

Just thought I would get thoughts and see if anybody does it?

davy4575
August 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I see some people listening to music when they ride or race. My sister does, says it puts her into her zone. Me personally, I cant. I like to hear my bikes motor and what its doing, as well as if someones approaching me (which is unfortunately all to frequently) Im a musician though, so if I start listening to music, I end up concentrating on it to much.

dragos13
August 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I have to disagree that listening to music helps keep focus. Now, throwing on the headphones while you are waiting for third call is great, but I would say NO to listening to music on the track.

How is hearing lyrics and tunes going to help you focus on the track and your fellow racers? I used to do this on the street, until I nearly rear-ended a car on Sante Fe. In my personal opinion, HELL NO lol.

+1 for Davy and listening to not only your own motor, but the motor of bikes around you. I will wear ear plugs religously, that just helps dampen the high pitch sounds and allows you to focus and become less fatigued.

vort3xr6
August 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
That's what I figured. Also, I would lose out on some important sounds. IF somebody is diving up the inside and I can't hear them and turn in on my line hard.

dragos13
August 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Exactly. I think it would take away from your awareness which is never good on the race track.

Question, what would you be rocking if you did have headphones on?

rybo
August 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Exactly. I think it would take away from your awareness which is never good on the race track.

Anyone who doesn't answer:

Kenny Loggins: Danger Zone

Is out of their mind

Throttleroller277
August 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
kept my adrenaline going great.

Keeping your adrenaline "going", is not really a good thing. You want to stay as calm and relaxed as possible. The harder and faster your heart rate is, the harder your body is working, and the more fatigue will set in. And the more things that you have to focus on, the less attention each one of them will receive. Like Casey said, listening to music is just an added distraction, taking away from focusing at the "task at hand"....racing.

Like Casey said too..... this is why we wear ear plugs. To help eliminate high frequency sounds, wind/helmet noise, all the while still being able to hear your motor at the same time.

I have to disagree with wanting to hear the other bike(s) around me though.... if you know the other rider is present, and thinking about what might be going on behind you, that is taking away from your concentration as to what is in front of you....

my 2 cents 8)

vort3xr6
August 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM

It would probably be a rolling mix of Enya, Rick Astley and Michael Bolton.

spideyrdr
August 11th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Steel Panther, all the way.

I'm a new racer but agree about the ear plugs. The few times I have ridden on the track without ear plugs, I didn't feel like I was hearing my engine right and was shifting wrong. Using plugs to tune out the wind and shriek of the 600 a bit helps me feel like I'm FEELING the bike and the track and letting my ears pick up on the other bikes, odd noises, or occasional internal dialog I have with myself.

Only downside: yelling at everyone like a meathead when you get back to the pit since you can't hear anything. "YEAH! GREAT TIME OUT THERE! WATCH FOR THE DEBRIS IN TURN.... WHAT DO YOU MEAN I AM YELLING? WHAT???"

davy4575
August 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I must be friggin half deaf. 25 years of construction and playing drums will do that to ya. I dont wear plugs, but the wind and helmet noise, I dont even notice it. I key in on my motor especially upwards of 11 to 14k. Sounds peachy to me when its screaming. Love that sound. Ill have to try the ear plugs though, might be better.

Throttleroller277
August 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I must be friggin half deaf. 25 years of construction and playing drums will do that to ya. I dont wear plugs, but the wind and helmet noise, I dont even notice it. I key in on my motor especially upwards of 11 to 14k. Sounds peachy to me when its screaming. Love that sound. Ill have to try the ear plugs though, might be better.

Give them a try, and let me know your thoughts........ I can almost guaranty that you will not go without again once you use them... I have yet to see someone "not like" using earplugs.

GNGSXR
August 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Steel Panther, all the way.

:lol:
hahaha awesome.

KFinn
August 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I have yet to see someone "not like" using earplugs.
You do now! But not for the reasons you may think. I haven't ever tried them when racing. But I've tried them when riding on the street cross country and I gave up. Problem I have is they don't ever seem to fit well enough in my ears (seems a couple of us in the Finnegan family have this problem with ear plugs). 9 out of 10 times I get them in, as soon as I slide my helmet down it distorts my ears and pops out the ear plug. So after several tries to do this without popping them out, I get SOO Flaming pissed off that my whole mood is ruined and I wanna kick something over. So I gave up on ear plugs. :?

chrobis
September 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Davy - First you tell us that you are a musician, now it come out that you are a drummer. Get your story straight, man. :P

On a serious note, ++ on the earplugs; if one of my even comes loose a bit the noise is too distracting. About once a year I head out onto the track without them in and it completely upsets my composure.

Kevin - Keep trying different brands/styles; Walgreens usually has a pretty good selection. Just know that the foam ones do degrade and as they do there is a better and better chance that they won't seal quite as well as when they were new. I usually replace mine ("Hearos"; I like the older flanged ones better than the newer bullet shaped ones) once per weekend. Start with the highest noise reduction and go down from there until you get a good fit. (WARNING potential TMI:) I also slime mine with a little spit to make sure they go in well.

jmaher
September 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM
You can hear the bikes coming up on you? I guess it happens to me so frequently that it becomes a continuous sound and I don't notice it.

Joe

racedk6
September 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
You do now! But not for the reasons you may think. I haven't ever tried them when racing. But I've tried them when riding on the street cross country and I gave up. Problem I have is they don't ever seem to fit well enough in my ears (seems a couple of us in the Finnegan family have this problem with ear plugs). 9 out of 10 times I get them in, as soon as I slide my helmet down it distorts my ears and pops out the ear plug. So after several tries to do this without popping them out, I get SOO Flaming pissed off that my whole mood is ruined and I wanna kick something over. So I gave up on ear plugs. :?

I never liked ear plugs till i had some custom ones made. the foam ones would just fall out as soon as i put my helmet on.

Now that i have the custom ones i cant ride without them.

Clarkie
September 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM

I raced for 10 years without earplugs, I needed to hear my engine, the rpm's (never looked at the tach), the tires on the track (you can hear what they are doing if you listen properly), and the other bikes around me. But everyone is different, a mate of mine used to listen to his ipod while racing, was fast and never had issues at all.

davy4575
September 26th, 2010, 11:56 PM
So I started using em. Could hear everything the same (was worried I wouldnt be able to) except the bikes behind me. I really like having em in. Allows me to concentrate on my line and whats in front of me. My lap times seem a bit quicker, but I dont know if thats the plugs or just seat time, Im definetly comfortable wearing them though.

Clarkie
September 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Just do whatever makes you comfortable, remember comfortable is relaxed, relaxed is fast :wink:

The GECCO
September 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I raced for 10 years without earplugs, I needed to hear my engine, the rpm's (never looked at the tach), the tires on the track (you can hear what they are doing if you listen properly), and the other bikes around me. But everyone is different, a mate of mine used to listen to his ipod while racing, was fast and never had issues at all.

I'm with Clarkie, I've tried earplugs several times and never liked them. To each his own!

Clarkie
September 27th, 2010, 08:48 AM
LOL then if someone loses or cant find one they stress out right before their race, never a good start :wink:

Hotrod
September 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
(WARNING potential TMI:) I also slime mine with a little spit to make sure they go in well.

Ha! I am just glad that I am not the only one. I get the weirdest looks and sometimes even comments. I used to have the worst time with earplugs. Could never get them in right, and they were always coming out or not seated correctly. Then I started rolling them into tiny little needle like shapes between my fingers and pop them in my mouth... Stick 'em in my ear quickly while still small diameter and moist... They expand into a perfect fit every time with perfect seal.

Wife thinks its gross as hell, but hey... its not like I re-use em... :shock:

nobasin
September 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
a good trick i figured out with foam plugs is to put a bunch in a little tin box like an altoids box, and keep them in your cooler on ice all day. when you pull them out right before each race/practice they are cold, so when you roll them to get them down to size to put in your ear they stay compressed and are stiff enough to easily get in your ear, then your body temp warms them right up and they expand in just a few seconds and seal up.

Clarkie
September 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I am digging the spit idea, trust me, no one else will steal them!