PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo???

Racing616
March 30th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Now that we have this board is the Yahoo one going to stop. I think the new layout (for Yahoo) sucks and this board is great.

dave.gallant
March 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Some poeple can read email instead of surf the web at work, so I am not sure we can kill off the Yahoo group even if we wanted to.

And we *could* go to a private email list, but I have not stumbled across any good open-source tools to read/post messages to newsgroups. We could always go that route and pull the email list to one of our MRA boxes, and then put a web interface on it ( if we did find a decent one )...but the Yahoo one is free and already works.

But, I like the poll. Vote away!

akuretz
March 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I only use the Yahoo group via email, so the interface doesn't bother me. I also check it more frequently at work, since I check my email more often than forums. I dunno, I think it's a bit early to decide, lets see if Yahoo traffic significantly drops now that the new board is here. If most everyone is here and not on yahoo, then kill it.

dave.gallant
March 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I am actually hoping this resource gets used more than the yahoo groups simply because it is easier to search for information here.

Oh, and there are no damn advertisements in my inbox (except for racing related ones at the top of these pages!)

csmith
March 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
one lets see if the signature works,.

Second, the last place I worked actually used this BB system and did some work with it to allow it to e-mail everyone out the information on the board, so daily summary etc, so yes it could replace yahoo and allow users to read it through e-mail still.

If your interested Dave let me know see if I can get the old admin to send me any information on setting that up.

csmith
March 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
double post, sorry

Spiderman
March 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I use the Yahoo board via the Yahoo groups interface (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MRA-Racing/). I also have Yahoo as my home page, and I just found out that I can add it to my MyYahoo! page, and it shows the latest posts (and how long ago they were posted). I like that, but I wouldn't care if it went away.

Lel399
March 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM
cant bbboards email from the server? thought when I set up mine for out team chat that there was an option for that... so yea! lets replace the yahoo :) lol

dave.gallant
March 30th, 2005, 03:51 PM
It cant do it on a threaded basis.

I am sure I could have it email out every single post to every single user (that is easy), but that would sorta suck getting all of the BBS traffic in your inbox.

It already emails you when you have a private message, and I can set it up to email you when someone responds to your thread.

...AND a user can't really reply to it. We have toyed with the idea of threading the email in so that you could email in a response to a topic and have it get posted as if you were posting on the web version, but it would require a bunch of hacking.

March 30th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I like this better than yahoo. I've been waiting for this, very nice!

Now I hope I can stop reading the yahoo group and still find all the current info here. Otherwise I guess everyone will need to be posting in multiple places to get everyone's attention like the free track time post that can be found in multiple places.

nileator
March 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Doh, my reply was guest! I guess I wasn't logged in after registering. :oops:

dave.gallant
March 30th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I like this better than yahoo. I've been waiting for this, very nice!

Now I hope I can stop reading the yahoo group and still find all the current info here. Otherwise I guess everyone will need to be posting in multiple places to get everyone's attention like the free track time post that can be found in multiple places.

That is at least the plan...even if some info gets duplicated here, I will do my best to get the news items posted here as well. Of course, the biggest news will always be in the news section of the MRA website, but there is always stuff going on that everyone needs to hear about, and I think this place will work well for that.

csmith
March 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.integramod.com + http://www.mail2forum.com/

As my contact told me it's a bit of a beast to setup, but with those 2 mods you could completely ditch yahoo and still allow people to do it from e-mail, including replies through e-mail (not sure if yahoo lets you do that or not) IE you reply to a message in the e-mail and it gets posted to the board as well as to the e-mail thread

And sure as hell don't ask me how this stuff works, I know just enough to make myself very dangerous to most servers :twisted:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
April 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM
IMHO, I don't think we need to actively try to get rid of the yahoo email list. If enough people switch to using this BBS instead, it'll just wither (like so many other usenet newsgroups and email lists).

But there are still some people who can't get even Yahoo mail at work. I've been thinking about switching the email list to micapeak.com so we can send out plain text without any advertisements. What would y'all think about that?

Lel399
April 4th, 2005, 10:10 PM
if its an option of moving it or keeping it i say keep it, let it die out or let it stay but dont put the effort into moving it when a lot say lets just do away w/ it and go w/ this.

dave.gallant
April 4th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I think that a change like that would effect those that only use HTTP to browse the Yahoo mail...although, personally I would love it as I hate the ads in my inbox.

Maybe a slimmer mail list combined with the BBS will be a suitable solution for most? I also agree that we don't need to change anything immediately.

twistedrider
April 4th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think that it would be better to just have one source of online communication. Gets too confusing and it means board members have to post copies of messages on both forums. Also means members have to keep track of two forums to make sure they're getting all the latest info. I say kill one or the other.

T Baggins
April 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
The MRA still needs an "official" form of communication. If we make this the official form, the other one should go away.

Tbag

CLilLady
April 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'm all new to this group so I'm not sure if my opinion matters much. But I LOVE this format waaay better then the YAHOO thingy. I belong to several clubs/organizations & I've hardly ever joined or read the Yahoo Group postings. They're too confusing, too cluttered, too disorganized for my simple mind. :D
Now I'm not just saying that, I've actually tried keeping up with a few of them, but they just don't work well for me & my schedule. When I sign on, I want to find what I'm looking for & click straight to it. I also like the fact that if I'm not interested in a thread I don't have to get emails about it! Well anyways, just wanted to say my peice here & THANK the powers that be that set this site up! =D>

kfm61
April 20th, 2005, 06:08 AM
While I'm not a frequent user of message areas like this or Yahoo, I think this format is much easier to use. To those involved in setting this up, Congrats on a job well done!