PDA

View Full Version : Any video of NGTU crash in T1 (first one)?

cactusjack
August 5th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I've seen the stills and have been told what happened in the first of the day's NGTU crashes, but my last memory is of something sliding into me and getting launched a bit. Everything turned out ok and I even raced the same bike later that afternoon but I'm curious as hell to see the crash unfold on video. Does anyone know if anyone caught it, either on board or from the wall?

Desmodromico
August 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I have some video facing the rear, it looked like someone either locked the front or hit the bike in front and cartwheeled over their bars. The bike took you and Fish and one other bike out, I'll try to post the video this weekend.

KFinn
August 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
John has a GREAT video of it just behind it a few bikes. What happened is on the very inside line of the corner on the straight section, a rider in a white bike did a 12 o clock endo before the bike folded down and then took out 2 other riders while sliding to the dirt. The rider of the white bike hung on to the both the brake and the handlebars to the folding part where it layed on top of him. You can see a tiny bit of his leathers sticking out from underneath initially.

We watched it frame by frame a few times on his laptop. Pretty crazy stuff.

vort3xr6
August 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Post it up! I want to see this.

jprider
August 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Anybody know how I can post a video? I have all the crashes from NOVU!

dave.gallant
August 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Anybody know how I can post a video? I have all the crashes from NOVU!

YouTube?

KFinn
August 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Anybody know how I can post a video? I have all the crashes from NOVU!John I can help you post them and get copies this weekend if you want. Let me know and I can have you bring over the files and we'll get them posted.

jprider
August 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Below is the video to the 1st crash of NOVU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBrG0KlEDqM

Samson
August 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, talk about too much front brake. Glad everyone turned out ok from this pile up.

KFinn
August 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Wow, talk about too much front brake. Glad everyone turned out ok from this pile up.

For those that haven't seen it yet. The race starts at 4:30 seconds. Skip to there to start.

cactusjack
August 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks, jprider!

Kinda reminiscent of a bowling ball blasting through the pins.

Desmodromico
August 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Damn, I think that was Fish...didn't even realize it was possible to hit the front brake that hard, crazy to watch.

Can we strike a gentlemen's agreement for the next round of NovU that we all get through turn one in a civilized manner? It will save us much heckling from resident fast guys in the future...

gsnyder828
August 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Can we strike a gentlemen's agreement for the next round of NovU that we all get through turn one in a civilized manner?

But if we just staggered the grids we'd prevent this sort of thing ... :roll: :lol:

I think the guy might've only read the first half of Bartman's post earlier in the season where he suggested novices could go into T1 hotter... but not bowling ball hot.

That looked bowling ball hot to me. :wink:

vort3xr6
August 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
He obviously had an amazing start. I give him that credit. I just think it was a simple mistake of not noticing when the turn was cause he was WOT to the last cone, then flipped the bike.

cjmagnuss
August 8th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Oh yea, that's Fish! Glad I was ahead of that shit show. What's more amazing is with the time from the 2nd start getting red flagged, he got his bike fixed, through tech, and started the race (3rd start) late (half lap down) and managed to finish 16th.

Desmodromico
August 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
But if we just staggered the grids we'd prevent this sort of thing ... :roll: :lol:

Yeah yeah I figured someone would say that, in that crash no, nothing would have changed. I have thoughts on the other two T1 pileups in regards to that idea but I'll save it for another time.

Glad Fish is ok, we all have a risk threshold we find acceptable and mine is admittedly pretty low, but we all have to trust each other to be able to keep doing this every round. I am hoping I can race for many years to come, but I am realistic that it could be over in one crash.

peteyt328
August 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I think Snyder was joking...

... We'd have to hear it from Fish, but it looks to me like he didn't expect the guy in front of him to brake as hard as he did, as early as he did, and had to grab all that front brake to avoid driving straight into the back of him. Looked like he was going into turn 1 at mid-race speeds, problem is mid-pack always bunches up and goes real slow through turn 1 at the start... which isn't a bad thing cuz it prevents situations like this. Glad everyone was alright though, thats all that really matters in the end.

sheispoison
August 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
it looks to me like he didn't expect the guy in front of him to brake as hard as he did, as early as he did, and had to grab all that front brake to avoid driving straight into the back of him

I pit with Fish and that's exactly what happened.

KFinn
August 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Did he take out the guy that he was trying not to avoid? Or did he take out a diff guy than who he was braking to avoid? I'm just curious.

I know this happened behind me and I can say that I think there was extra braking over the normal 1st turn, 1st lap speeds. This one was somehow extra messy in the mid front or whatever you call it, back of 1st wave or whatever you call it. All I can say is that this one was more chaotic than normal and set off my uncomfortable pucker factor which it usually doesn't. So I don't know if we were too many wide or what but it was not pretty before the wreck. Which probably added to the factors of the wreck.

I hope that makes sense what I am trying to say. I can see it in my head and stilll kind of remember the thoughts going through my head at the time. Just not sure if I verbalized them well enough to get my point across.

gsnyder828
August 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I think Snyder was joking...

In a slanted sort of way, yes... :wink:

hcr25
August 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think a problem that happens on the start is that some racers tend to use their normal brake marker when going into turn 1 from the start of the race. Basically braking to early for the speed they are going.
Mike

phildrummond
August 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I saw Fish go back out for start #3. Amazing to get the bike through tech. But, for his sake, I wish the starter would've caught him (since he was 20 seconds late to the start) and made him start from the pit. He'd have been better off. He did the whole track on his warm-up and was around T8 when they started.

I think it's legal, but using both cut-offs would've had him on the grid for start #3.

cromer611
August 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
He obviously had an amazing start. I give him that credit. I just think it was a simple mistake of not noticing when the turn was cause he was WOT to the last cone, then flipped the bike.

not to mention its nearly impossible to see brake markers when you have 4 wide goin in there, and he was on the inside of the turn. just glad everyone was ok.

and DAMN fish! just rounding turn8 when the light goes off and finishing what? 15th or something? mofo was mooooovin!

sheispoison
August 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I saw Fish go back out for start #3. Amazing to get the bike through tech. But, for his sake, I wish the starter would've caught him (since he was 20 seconds late to the start) and made him start from the pit. He'd have been better off. He did the whole track on his warm-up and was around T8 when they started.

I think it's legal, but using both cut-offs would've had him on the grid for start #3.

So, I'll say this since since Fish never really comes on the forums. When he got through tech after we got his bike back together Bart told him that he could join the race after the track was hot. In his scrambling state of mind he didn't realize that A. the grid hadn't got let go yet, and B. that he needed to stop at the martial at pre-grid to get let out. So, he just went. That being said, that he started a half lap down and still made it up to 16th is pretty impressive. He learned alot that day, and feels pretty bad that he took a couple of guys out. He also learned not to register late and start at the back like a dumb dumb.