PDA

View Full Version : Hastings Solution?

The GECCO
July 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I got some input from the board and a few members at the sparsely attended general meeting tonight and need some more input on this decision, please choose what you would like to do.

The "double header" options means having a weekend exactly like we did at Miller with the Sunday schedule being run both days, no endurance races or extended morning practice on Saturday.

cu260r6
July 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Hastings was keeping the Friday before our weekend reserved for practice all day. If that's the case then lets do a double header there. It'll make more money for the club and cost less for the racers than having to spend money traveling to another weekend there in Oct.

The GECCO
July 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I'm sure I can arrange for Friday practice, but not everyone can take that Friday off to be there. Those people may rather spend the incremental costs of an additional trip (it also spreads out the costs of additional tires and entry fees).

There are pros and cons to each option, and everyone gets a vote.

And please remember that this "vote" is quite informal and is for informational purposes only. It does not bind me to any of the options, I just want some feedback.

RicksR6
July 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Since I moved to Spokane, WA, I wasn't planning on attending any more MRA events this year, although if there was anouther Double Header weekend I would probably attend as it woudl be two events, with one travel expence!! I voted for one of the double header options!!

Triple F
July 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
The first Hastings event is a Kawasaki money day. If we push the event to a later day at Hastings or a double header at Pueblo will that carry over?

The GECCO
July 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I could double check with Tony, but according to both the MRA and Kawasaki websites the July date at Hastings was NOT a Kawasaki money date. The September Hastings date IS a Kawasaki money date.

kjslash
July 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I'm a little partial to moving this to later in the season as Miller caused me a little more pain than originally thought - broken clavicle and bruised ribs. Having it in October should allow me one more race weekend before the end of the season. If not, I'm out for the season.

Still can't remember what the heck happened. Anyone an eye witness to the warm up lap for Amatuer GTU Sunday at Miller? :shock:

RicksR6
July 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Still can't remember what the heck happened. Anyone an eye witness to the warm up lap for Amatuer GTU Sunday at Miller? :shock:

Freakin making the rest of us sit in the blistering heat with are leathers on in the staging area is the Eyewitnessing that I saw!!!

kjslash
July 14th, 2006, 05:28 PM
That hurts worse than my back. Thanks.

If it makes it any better I wasn't any more comfortable laying in the sun in full leathers. However, the nurses in Tooele were nice to have around. Hope I never have to visit again.

RicksR6
July 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM
It is cool, I was just kidding, I heard an Amature came in underneith you and took you out. But I don't know I just heard about it!! What all happened to you!! Hope you get well soon, sorry to hear about you getting hurt!!

Phat-X
July 15th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I'm personally up for either making Pueblo or the other event in Hastings a doubleheader. My reasoning is on cost alone. My preference would be to race a doubleheader in Pueblo because of the smaller travel required meaning less money spent, and the fact that I know what I'm doing in Pueblo and I think everyone else in the club does too. Plus going back out to Hastings would add all the travel expenses again and make everyting that much more expensive over just doing a doubleheader and cutting travel expenses, and time off work in half. But I'm personally just thinking about it on the extremely tight budget that I have to race on.

Tumbleweed
July 15th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Phat-X Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm personally up for either making Pueblo or the other event in Hastings a doubleheader. My reasoning is on cost alone. My preference would be to race a doubleheader in Pueblo because of the smaller travel required meaning less money spent, and the fact that I know what I'm doing in Pueblo and I think everyone else in the club does too. Plus going back out to Hastings would add all the travel expenses again and make everyting that much more expensive over just doing a doubleheader and cutting travel expenses, and time off work in half. But I'm personally just thinking about it on the extremely tight budget that I have to race on.

I second that.

bwjunkie
July 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
i wonder what the average temp / weather is like in Hastings in October. looks it up... avg high is 70 deg, seems reasonable to me
josh

sean
July 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Tumbleweed Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:48 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Phat-X Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:48 am Post subject:

I second that.

I third that

Tumbleweed
July 15th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I third that

"You can't triple stamp a double stamp Lloyd"

rforsythe
July 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM
i wonder what the average temp / weather is like in Hastings in October. looks it up... avg high is 70 deg, seems reasonable to me
josh

Weather is fine that time of year, we raced at MAM in Iowa Oct 14th last year and it was quite nice.

July 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
double header at pueblo.

EdDuenez
July 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
double header at la Junta in memory of Gene :cry:

T Baggins
July 17th, 2006, 07:43 AM
A double header helps the financial solvency of the club. With all the added costs of travel dates this year, I voted double header at Hastings.

JBos617
July 17th, 2006, 12:04 PM
One of the things I would like the board to consider when making this decision is the lack of practice at a new track if a double header were scheduled at hastings. It seems there were a lot of crashes out at Miller, particularly in the Novice classes that resulted in people being taken to the hospital (I being one of them). After talking to a few people who seen my crash and going through it in my head, along with witnessing lines of other riders (and some of my own), I've come to the conclusion (certainly just my opinion of course) that many of the Novices had difficulty finding the correct race lines in the practice time alotted and this could have been a major factor in those crashes.

Jim
01 RC51
Morse Racing Products
1888FastLap.com

Spiderman
July 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
One of the things I would like the board to consider when making this decision is the lack of practice at a new track if a double header were scheduled at hastings.
This was a concern of mine as well. :?

rforsythe
July 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
A thought... What about having some carefully-chosen experts go out either in the first lap or two of novice practice, or possibly in a novice-only session on Friday, to do some lead and follow for those who want to see what the race line should be? Obviously too late for Miller (or the season, since I get the feeling Hastings will not be a double header), but a thought for the future.

Tumbleweed
July 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I understand the concern about having a hard time learning the track for a double header and I agree. But please lay off the Novices. We aren't all completely retarded and I'm pretty sure I'm not just passing novices in the amateur races. Just some thought on slamming the novices. I'm pretty sure Bruce Browning ran 1:36's at miller and 53's at La Junta and he is a novice.

I know you all want to slam me for saying this but I think it is offensive to always look at the novices as losers. Just remember as retarded as we all are you were all here at one time and we are the future of the MRA.

Spiderman
July 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Relax Chris - no one is laying into the novices - this point of conversation was brought up by a Novice, and he said

I've come to the conclusion (certainly just my opinion of course) that many of the Novices had difficulty finding the correct race lines in the practice time alotted
He didn't say all novices.

Crashing sucks, and if it happens on the first day of a double-header weekend, it can ruin your whole weekend, even moreso if you travelled hours just to be there. If we can figure out a way to minimize the crashing, by offering something like what Ralph mentioned to those riders that want it (perhaps even some expert riders might be interested), then that could potentially make it a more enjoyable weekend for everybody.

Tumbleweed
July 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Crashing sucks, and if it happens on the first day of a double-header weekend, it can ruin your whole weekend, even moreso if you travelled hours just to be there. If we can figure out a way to minimize the crashing, by offering something like what Ralph mentioned to those riders that want it (perhaps even some expert riders might be interested), then that could potentially make it a more enjoyable weekend for everybody.

I couldn't agree more. Sorry for the outburst. :oops:

cu260r6
July 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
The :50ish minutes of practice we had at Miller was probably a factor in there being so many crashes especially on Sat in practice and the novice classes, but I think that wouldn't be an issue at Hastings because they reserve the entire day prior to a race weekend for open practice.

There are plenty of racers in the MRA who seem to have Pueblo and La Junta worked out very well, but when you throw them a new track the results get scrambled a bit. I think the new tracks we're going to this year really help to show who the fastest riders are on a level playing field and not just who has a billion laps at Pueblo. If I was a novice I'd be all for it. :wink:

T Baggins
July 17th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'd never seen the track before, didn't practice on Friday, only got 5 laps of practice on Saturday - and I still won my race, so I don't see what the big deal is. Ok, so I was the only one in the race - what are you saying?? :wink:

I've been an Expert since 1990, and I'm still retarded - you can ask anyone and they'll corroborate that! Some folks pick up tracks faster than others, regardless of their license status.

More practice would be better for sure, but I also think that each of you have a responsibility to not "over-ride" your abilities/track knowledge.

There were way more of us who DIDN'T know the track and DIDN'T crash.

RicksR6
July 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Part of racing is knowing how to read and learn tracks. I am a novice, and I had no trouble learning the track. I think a lot of the Novices need to step back and think before they turn the throttle. Yeah we all want to go as fast as possible, but if your not comfotable with the track, is a few places at the end of the race worth wrecking your bike??? I would much rather drop back a few places than wreck and go to the hospital.

In no way is it the tracks fault, or the lack of practice on a particular track that causes accidents. I haven't gotten to ride any of the tracks prior to racing in the MRA circuit since I have lived over 600 miles from any given track since I first got my licence with the MRA. This shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking a track!!!

bwjunkie
July 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
The :50ish minutes of practice we had at Miller was probably a factor in there being so many crashes especially on Sat in practice

saturday practice a ton of people entered "novice fast", so they must know the track already?

the announcers mentioned at least 5 times on sunday how smooth everything had gone. there was one major crash that i know of where someone got sent away, and i believe that was a practice as well, or a warm up lap. anyway, since we were able to stay on the tight schedule and not cancel any classes, then perhaps everything is just fine the way it is.

josh

shortie171
July 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
This shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking a track!!!

Did I miss something :-s ...I thought the posts before yours were asking for help...not diff tracks :?: :?:

Spiderman
July 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I interpreted it as "This shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking a track (at which to hold a double-header event)". *shrug* Dunno :?

The GECCO
July 19th, 2006, 08:59 AM
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=12571#12571