PDA

View Full Version : OSB Crash in turn 8.

jbrowning
August 1st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Here are a few pics from the crash in OSB on Sunday in turn 8 right before lunch.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6178wreck1osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6179wreck2osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6180wreck3osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6181wreck4osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6182wreck5osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6183wreck6osbosb.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/jimb63/IMGP6184wreck7osbosb.jpg

Thanks
Jim Browning

racedk6
August 1st, 2010, 10:41 PM
This also needs to be submitted to roadracing world! we can take over the crash page for the next issue!

cromer611
August 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
wow. just wow. who was that on the inside that took him out?

jbrowning
August 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you Steve and Erik. I have been thinking about sending in a couple of the photos to see what they think of it. But I'm still trying to find out who 132 is. Because when I do a search by rider number here it doesn't come up with anyone. So I'm guessing it was someone who came in for the weekend from another club?

Thank you again.
Jim

racedk6
August 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
It is one of the guys from lithium motorsports. Scott Stall or something like that. Im not 100% sure.

dragos13
August 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
He is actually #732 in our club.

brianjohnson
August 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
One of the Lithium guys....yes, but not to be confused with Brian Johnson #375.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
From the picture, it's hard to tell what happened -- who was trying to pass who?

HETZ24
August 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
From the picture, it's hard to tell what happened -- who was trying to pass who?
I never saw him. From what the guys behind me said, he was almost taking everyone out as he worked his way forward. Just seems a bit odd that there was so much track to the inside of me, yet it looks as though he was aiming straight for me???

Throttleroller277
August 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM
In the first photo his rear tire is slightly off the ground, and front wheel starting to tuck pretty bad....... I wonder how high his rear tire was before the front started to go?

Looks like Dave came real close to running over his own ankle too!! Glad your OK

Yeah I heard nothing but bad things about the other fellas' riding all weekend. Not just this weekend either, the first time he was here I heard it too, most people thought it was Brian.

How many times total did he crash this weekend? Anyone know?...

vort3xr6
August 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Holy crap I didn't notice that. Rear tire off the deck and still tucking the front. Bold and stupid dive on the inside if you ask me.

hcr25
August 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Holy crap I didn't notice that. Rear tire off the deck and still tucking the front. Bold and stupid dive on the inside if you ask me.

Bold and Stupid? Really?
You do realize you are describing a huge percentage of racers in this club right? In my opinion he was crashing before well before the first picture was taken. Was it a smart pass to try and make? maybe not. He is on a gsxr 600 racing against open class bikes trying to pass the only place he could, the turns. I seriously doubt he tried to "Take out" Dave by tucking the front and crashing himself at the same time.

Was he riding very aggressively? Hell yes he was. Was he riding over his head? Probably. Did he crash more than once over the weekend? I saw him working on his bike most of the weekend :)

I have seen a lot of riders have this same issue. Come from out of state, be fast and crazy aggressive. Usually this is the only to get to the front when you are not a regular. Some do it better then others but most rarely make friends when doing it. I can think of 6 to 8 money chasers who have come to our club and done the same thing as well as a few of our own who have always been this way.

Most of us shouldn't be to judgmental. If we have not already done something stupid and crashed or taken someone else out. Race long enough we will.
Mike

Bartman
August 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
The offical crash tally for the weekend was 2 but he had wreck repair before the first time he came thru tech and there was not a whole lot of bike left after the last one.
It was a pretty bad weekend as far as tech was concerned, we had one guy crash out of nov U twice, I don't mean to bitch I just want a lasy sunday next time around. :lol:
Bartman

Bartman
August 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I do have something else I want to bring up here, Mikey mentioned that little bikes have to pass the bigger bikes any where they can and that means in the corners but if you can't make it clean then find a way to make it clean or don't do it.
I have been on both sides of the equation so I get the frustration of the little bike over the big but not matter the circumstances it is your job to make a clean pass. The number of times I have heard people say I had no other choice than to make a bad pass is really starting to bother me, nobody has come to me to say Josh Galster made a bad pass so it can be done right on a small bike so quit bitchin and learn to get it done right.

LMsports
August 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
This is a kind of a tough spot to be in. When I found out Scott ran into Dave I felt like I got kicked in the gut. Dave is an awesome guy and I really enjoy seeing him at the track and racing with him on it. Scott is a second year racer and a first year expert. He's got a ton of natural speed but is working on turning his speed into true race craft. He has struggled with the grid procedure at MRA which grids by points and he tends to get overly aggressive trying to make his way to the front. Everyone in our pit has been working with him as much as possible to work on his patience and I understand that a club representative had a "strong" conversation with him as well after this crash that seems to have put some things into perspective for him. I'm not making any excuses for Scott, but I can tell you that he recognizes the situation and is truly apologetic and willing to get it under control. He understands that riding like that will now make him unwelcome and that his discretion will have to take a front seat to his desire to be at the front.

random hero
August 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Bold and stupid moves.... Like riding a stand up wheelie in a rain storm, and almost crashing when setting the front wheel down on the back straight... Possibly taking 2 other riders with you, one being myself..... just saying.

vort3xr6
August 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Bold and stupid moves.... Like riding a stand up wheelie in a rain storm, and almost crashing when setting the front wheel down on the back straight... Possibly taking 2 other riders with you, one being myself..... just saying.

Pshhh. Get over yourself. It was the cool down lap and I was no where near other riders. Sorry you don't know how to control your bike on the cool down lap. Completely different than endoing into another rider trying to get 4th place in a race I was nowhere near competitive in the points standings.

racedk6
August 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Pshhh. Get over yourself. It was the cool down lap and I was no where near other riders. Sorry you don't know how to control your bike on the cool down lap. Completely different than endoing into another rider trying to get 4th place in a race I was nowhere near competitive in the points standings.

Hey now kids play nicely.

rybo
August 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
did anyone check out the cool pics at the top of this thread?

We are really really lucky to have so many talented and dedicated photographers coming to our races this year.

s

NossLou
August 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Brad.....you and your wheelie machine need to go down to Colfax and really stir up some excitement ;) I will buy you a beer when you can wheelie on the cool down lap with a knee on the ground while singing "Danger Zone" from top gun!

racedk6
August 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
did anyone check out the cool pics at the top of this thread?

We are really really lucky to have so many talented and dedicated photographers coming to our races this year.

s

This is very true Scott. Its great to have this many people standing out in the sun taking pics of the lunatics riding around in circles.

Crazy racers....

Hey I got taken out in a race were I was leading the championship. Was it by a racer riding over his limit, IMO yes. Was I doing anything wrong when I was taken out... No. Point is its racing and shit happens. Im not mad at the racer that took me out. I look forward to being out racing with him again next round.

vort3xr6
August 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Brad.....you and your wheelie machine need to go down to Colfax and really stir up some excitement ;) I will buy you a beer when you can wheelie on the cool down lap with a knee on the ground while singing "Danger Zone" from top gun!

DONE!! I am gonna make sure I am in full lap traffic though so I can do it while stuffing somebody into turn 4!!!

Racing is racing. What are ya gonna do.

loujr
August 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Completely different than endoing into another rider trying to get 4th place in a race I was nowhere near competitive in the points standings.

Agree....we all the know the risks we are taking by showing up on a race weekend, although we try to minimaize those risks as much as we can...every lap you take calculated risks....sometimes they just don't pan out like you had planned...

Munch
August 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Racing is racing, and we all assume the risk. However, back to Bart's point, there's a safe way to race aggressively. Chances are you're not gonna win the race in turn 1 of a 7 lap race. Just use the brain inside your helmet.

random hero
August 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM

You riding wheelies on the cool down lap has nothing to do with how well I, or any other rider on track can control their own bikes... You don't have rear view mirrors, you rode your stand up in a rainstorm, could have wiped out and very easily could have taken the 2 of us right behind you.... I have nothing to get over, other than to steer clear of the stunter shows post race :roll:

vort3xr6
August 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Okay man no problem. Next time I pull a standup on the cool down lap, which will be next race, be sure and stay far away for your own safety.

NossLou
August 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
wheelies on the cool down lap are like fukking a hot chick.... its totally worth it untill you biff it....aka Herpes... I like the stunter shows at the end of the race....just because I know that there is always a chance for Herpes when setting it down :shock: This thread is way off track.... back to turn 8 and aggressive riding!

rybo
August 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
So since it appears we AREN'T going to get back to the beautiful photos, I'll sum up this thread in the following way.

WERA - another race organization in the US like ours, had a death today in one of their races. They were hosting a long endurance at VIR. They had 24 entries into the race and three of the riders came together. One of them died and the other two are in the hospital with fairly serious injuries.

This comes as a reminder that what we do is pretty dangerous.

Please keep Rob Gette's family and friends in your thoughts over the next couple days. They are suffering an unimaginable loss.

Also Ian Tetrick and Jim Bonner, please keep them in your thoughts and wish them a speedy recovery. While I'd be surprised if any of us knew these people personally, they are a part of a community that shares a love for what we do.

hcr25
August 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Wheelies are cool, right up you the point you crash. For the guys who have been around awhile. Remember Mitch Bowers? The MRA's new rider director. Remember how good a rider he was? Remember how he broke his back? Oh yea, he crashed doing a wheelie during the MRA school. It was a nice wheelie coming out of turn four at Mountain View. Set it down slightly crossed up and never raced again.

Most of us should keep our mouths shut and let our riding speak for us.

vort3xr6
August 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM
See everybody equates wheelies to crashing. Racers especially tend to think if a person does a wheelie, he is most likely going to crash. Wake up, that is not the case. I was on a stunt team for 3 years. Am I saying that I can't crash a wheelie? No. Is it highly unlikely that I will ever crash a wheelie? Yes.

Yea I agree they got a bad wrap and tend to be squidish, but goddamn I like to do them and I am gonna do them every now and then. We spend this much damn money on this hobby because it is supposed to be fun right? Well for me, even if I finish 2nd or 3rd, doing a wheelie down the back straight is fun. If you think I am gonna wreck than that is your problem, I know I won't. I could sure as hell spend my $1000 per weekend somewhere else and still find some fun.

racedk6
August 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
People need to stop taking things so personally.

Like I said before everybody is out there doing the same thing for the same reason. We are brought together for one reason.

If things get to out of hand at the track somebody will get a talking to by an MRA official, until then just let things be.

Bartman
August 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
See everybody equates wheelies to crashing. Racers especially tend to think if a person does a wheelie, he is most likely going to crash. Wake up, that is not the case. I was on a stunt team for 3 years. Am I saying that I can't crash a wheelie? No. Is it highly unlikely that I will ever crash a wheelie? Yes.

Yea I agree they got a bad wrap and tend to be squidish, but goddamn I like to do them and I am gonna do them every now and then. We spend this much damn money on this hobby because it is supposed to be fun right? Well for me, even if I finish 2nd or 3rd, doing a wheelie down the back straight is fun. If you think I am gonna wreck than that is your problem, I know I won't. I could sure as hell spend my $1000 per weekend somewhere else and still find some fun.

Let me see if I can say this without being offensive, most racers have little if any liking for stunting whether its dirt or pavement and I think the reason is that Very few stunters make good racers. Even one of the best in the world Travis Pastrana has trouble when it comes to racing, he was very good but would crash way to often to be at the top so there is a inherent distrust of any stunters skill and the more you say I have it under control the more we will distrust you.
Now I don't want you to go away, I want you to keep coming out and having fun but you will not change a racers mindset and most likely we will not change yours so we just need to coexist.
One of the reasons motorsports is my favorite sport is that it is not judged, no room for interpretation or bias. If you cross the line first you win, simple the way I like it.

cromer611
August 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
<---selling Free hugs to the guys who can get the sand out of their vag.

can we all just race and have fun? shit happens. in this case another person was involved so of course people are gonna point the finger.
both guys are ok so thats great, thankful for that.
and im sure after that crash he knows not to push the limit like that again on a turn that falls away from you. also the track was dirty after the little rain storm.
sooooo..... about the wheelies. its the cool down lap. I could strip naked and ride my bike if i wanted to..... you know why? cuz when i pull into the front gate, there is a thing i sign that says im responsible for my own stupidity... or along the lines of that i dunno. or i could flip the bird to the state patrol on 36 because the f#cker gave me a ticket for speeding. while i do a nack nack wheelie, with my front tire missing, with jackie on the back, on the cool down lap ..... naked because i can.
now, do a burn out in the pits when the track goes cold.... and you will get a foot in your ass : P so dont do that.

i hope i lightened the mood a bit, thats what the duty of a token is. to say things like "oh snap!" and "that is whack!" :wink: i need another beer

cromer611
August 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
wheelies on the cool down lap are like fukking a hot chick.... its totally worth it untill you biff it....aka Herpes... I like the stunter shows at the end of the race....just because I know that there is always a chance for Herpes when setting it down :shock: This thread is way off track.... back to turn 8 and aggressive riding!

"That is Whack!"

cromer611
August 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Most of us should keep our mouths shut and let our riding speak for us.

"Oh Snap!"

my job here is done. carry on

vort3xr6
August 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Let me see if I can say this without being offensive, most racers have little if any liking for stunting whether its dirt or pavement and I think the reason is that Very few stunters make good racers. Even one of the best in the world Travis Pastrana has trouble when it comes to racing, he was very good but would crash way to often to be at the top so there is a inherent distrust of any stunters skill and the more you say I have it under control the more we will distrust you.
Now I don't want you to go away, I want you to keep coming out and having fun but you will not change a racers mindset and most likely we will not change yours so we just need to coexist.
One of the reasons motorsports is my favorite sport is that it is not judged, no room for interpretation or bias. If you cross the line first you win, simple the way I like it.

Well said Bart. I agree. Most stunters are douche bags which is why I left that discipline. Most racers are great people no matter what bike you ride or how fast you ride it. Notice I said "most".

motolitho
August 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
<---selling Free hugs to the guys who can get the sand out of their vag.

can we all just race and have fun? shit happens. in this case another person was involved so of course people are gonna point the finger.
both guys are ok so thats great, thankful for that.
and im sure after that crash he knows not to push the limit like that again on a turn that falls away from you. also the track was dirty after the little rain storm.
sooooo..... about the wheelies. its the cool down lap. I could strip naked and ride my bike if i wanted to..... you know why? cuz when i pull into the front gate, there is a thing i sign that says im responsible for my own stupidity... or along the lines of that i dunno. or i could flip the bird to the state patrol on 36 because the f#cker gave me a ticket for speeding. while i do a nack nack wheelie, with my front tire missing, with jackie on the back, on the cool down lap ..... naked because i can.
now, do a burn out in the pits when the track goes cold.... and you will get a foot in your ass : P so dont do that.

i hope i lightened the mood a bit, thats what the duty of a token is. to say things like "oh snap!" and "that is whack!" :wink: i need another beer

Thats some funny shit. I love this club.

loujr
August 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM

orăle vato!

Christman29
August 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Holy crap you guys have way too much time on your hands talking about all this................we are racing (riding on the edge of traction most of the time), and we ALL make mistakes or misjudge something. If we were all robots and not human maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen! I remember Josh Hayes said on one his interviews from this year.........."WHEN YOU TRY TO RIDE FAST, SOMETIMES YOU FALL DOWN"