PDA

View Full Version : Superstreet moving into an amateur class...

High Roller
July 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hey,

I am interested in starting out with Super Street and then moving into an amateur class next year what would be a good bike to start out with? I realize this is a very general question but I was asking pertaining to amateur class restrictions (if any) to displacement or suspension restrictions. I have a 08 R6 and an 04 R1 right now, thinking about making the R6 a track bike?

Any input would be appreciated.

Louis

Bartman
July 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ditch the R1 and run the R6 for sure, more classes to run and you will be a better racer for having run a 600. Spend money on suspension before anything else and then if theres money left over do power.
Bartman

spideyrdr
July 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
+1 on what Bart said. Starting on a 600 is definitely wiser.

And to clarify... The MRA has novice and expert classes that apply to the racer, not the bike. There is no "amateur" status but they do run races that include both novice and expert racers - these are the amateur races.

As I mentioned, the novice or expert classification applies to the rider. Under those divisions are basically lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, and open classes that apply to the motorcycle. The R6 falls in the middleweight class and can race up - that is to heavyweight and (I think) open. But you cannot race down, so if you were racing an R1, you can only race in heavyweight or open races.

As Bart said, there end up being more races you can run on a middleweight bike since you can ran up to higher classes. The rulebook spells all of this out but I hope this was helpful.

Snowman
July 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Yep the R6 would be the bike to use. Spare part are plentiful

High Roller
July 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys.

Great, the R6 it is. I am willing to spend the money to make my experience out there enjoyable as possible. Where is money best spent for me and the bike? I ride full leathers on the street and my gear is updated. As for the R6, as i did for my R1, suspension and brakes first?

Again guys thanks for your support. I can't wait to meet up and put a face to the names. I appreciate your time.

Munch
July 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Get your suspension setup for you, install race pads, leave the rest of the bike alone, and then seat time seat time seat time.

Shannon Moham will show you how you can still dominate a class with average equipment, and superior riding skills.

And then if you still have $$ buring in your pocket, go see Bart at Faster for the R6, or buy a Pierobon from Brian at BMS :) :twisted:

spideyrdr
July 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
It sounds like you're very interested in getting going, so let me just throw out a couple of thoughts.

For SuperStreet the prep is minimal. Basically what you're required to do is the same as what you need for a track day: no glycol based coolant (water works just fine) and take up the mirrors. So the good news is you have plenty of time to take care of that and save up so scratch for the race bike.

As far as actual racing, I think the minimum you will need is:
- race bodywork (about $800 or so new) because your underbelly must be able to hold about 3 liters of fluid in the event of an engine failure and the stock plastic won't typically meet that requirement.
- a steering damper ($300-600 or so)
- stronger engine case cover ($200)
- safety wired bolts and caps for any opening that contains liquid ($50 + time to drill the bolts)

You'd almost certainly want rearsets like Woodcraft or similar. These aren't a requirement as far as I know but undoubtedly are an item to look at replacing.

Clipons and bars to make replacement easy in the event of a crash

Beyond that, it's then things like new suspension components and / or suspension tuning, brakes (pads, stainless lines), and possibly a dyno tune to ensure you're running in a good state of tune. I assume of course you've already accounted for a power commander or similar module and an aftermarket exhaust.

Once you have paid off that Visa bill, maybe you want to look at a better brake master cylinder (Brembo is probably the gold standard). The 08 R6 has a slipper clutch but maybe it would be an area to look at upgrading. And finally, FINALLY I think I would start looking at engine parts - ways to remove smog crap if you can, an ignition advancer, and velocity stacks come to mind. That $250 or so would get you around the track marginally quicker - and I mean MARGINALLY.

Everything I have been told and read says you will be faster QUICKER by improving stopping (braking) and bouncing (suspension) first. Followed up with lots of time at the track. And some coaching / advice / schooling.

Welcome to the addiction!

vort3xr6
July 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Seat time. Nothing will drop your times faster.

Unfortunately the MRA has the mantra of buying past your competitors, instead of learning past your competitors. Seat time and basic suspension upgrades and setup will be the key to doing well in racing.

Anybody in this club would be glad to go over a track map with you or let you follow them around for a few laps.

Good luck and welcome!

Throttleroller277
July 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM
The R6 falls in the middleweight class and can race up - that is to heavyweight and (I think) open. But you cannot race down, so if you were racing an R1, you can only race in heavyweight or open races.

+1 on racing the R6 to start with.

But to Clarify the above quote:

An 04' R1 can only run in Novice GTO, Amateur GTO, Open Superbike and Supersport, ROR GTO, and Open Endurance. An R1 cannot run Heavyweight.

Throttleroller277
July 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
- safety wired bolts and caps for any opening that contains liquid ($50 + time to drill the bolts)
.................................................. ...............................................

You'd almost certainly want rearsets like Woodcraft or similar. These aren't a requirement as far as I know but undoubtedly are an item to look at replacing.

.................................................. ..............................................

The 08 R6 has a slipper clutch but maybe it would be an area to look at upgrading. velocity stacks come to mind. That $250 or so would get you around the track marginally quicker - and I mean MARGINALLY.

Welcome to the addiction!

All Oil drain plugs, Oil Filter, and any hoses containing oil.
Radiator Cap and drain plug.... The Radiator Hoses are not required, but it never hurts to reinforce the hose clamp itself. Simply rapping a piece of safety wire around the hose as a backup for the clamp, is likely to do no good if you loose the clamp, due to the high pressure in the coolant system.

You do not necessarily need rearsets, if you are not dragging the stock pegs. Chris Fuller races an R6 with stock rearsets, and is plenty fast. The benefits are ground clearance, and GP shift. But you can get adapters to make the stock linkage GP shift.

I personally think the stock R6 slipper works great. Especially when you look at the cost of an aftermarket. Also keep in mind that when you start changing things like Slipper Clutches and Velocity stacks, your bike is no longer "Supersport" legal.

As yes.. welcome to the club. And as mentioned, anyone will be willing to help you answer questions on and off the track, myself included.

Throttleroller277
July 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Not trying to pick on your quotes either spideyrdr.... sorry if it appeared that way. Just wanted to clear a couple things up. You're suggestions were well done.

~Brownie 8)

motolitho
July 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Take it from me:

This is my first year- and I run a GSXR1000. Way too much bike and I am always getting smoked by 600's. Not to mention, I am holding a lot of people up in my class because I am slow in the corners and somewhat speedy on the straights. I know this drives people nuts that are trying to pass me on the smaller bikes. The 1000 goes into turns like a freight train on crack.

spideyrdr
July 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the corrections / additions Brownie! No offense taken - I am a newbie to the MRA and I am trying to help but will invariably look to you seasoned guys to chime in.

dragos13
July 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Throw your money at suspension and seat time.

The R6 is an amazing bike and the stock motor works GREAT!

Get the front set up with springs and valves, then look for a good rear adjustable shock. This will allow you to learn about suspension early on, and also help keep your tires planted to the pavement :)

racedk6
July 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Sell the street bikes and buy a race bike.

Or find all the parts you need used.

High Roller
July 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
All great info...

What day is the Next superstreet class? Any of you guys need a pit buddy that is more then happy to purchase drinks food and whatever else we'll need? :D

Thanks again,
Louis

spideyrdr
July 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Due to the 4-hour endurance race this coming Saturday, there isn't a SuperStreet class for this weekend. If you can come out to High Plains to spectate, it should be a good time!

So the next SuperStreet classes will be Aug. 28 at High Plains then Sept. 7 at Pueblo and finally back at High Plains on Oct. 9.

fairrpe86
July 28th, 2010, 10:05 PM
The September date is actually the 18th

cromer611
July 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM

he will buy my bike b4 he buys yours : P

racedk6
July 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM

he will buy my bike b4 he buys yours : P

Not if someone else buys your bike! :shock: