PDA

View Full Version : MRA on Television?.....

Samson
July 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
So i'm just a newb doing the newb thing, but why are none of the MRA races being televised locally?
What gave me the idea for this question was that less than an hour ago i was flipping through the channels and came across kart racing at the local track in Centennial on Altitude. They had interviews, multiple cameras, live place tracking, and announcers; all for kart racing!
If Altitude is willing to give it there all for something as local as that, then why not an MRA race event; or two; or season? Might be something to be discussed at the next bike night/ board meeting in terms of a way to approach Altitude or another local station with this idea.

Any thoughts?

T Baggins
July 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
As far as promoting the MRA and setting stuff up, it's free reign. If you have any contacts or would be willing to get with Altitude about it that would be great!

We were on Telemundo (the Spanish channel) following the event at PPIR...

JohnGarc
July 16th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I hope I am not out of line here, but i just contacted Altitude also my former Professor Dianne Harrison-Miller who has major affiliation with KSE. So hopefully we can get at least something... Here is the proposal i wrote to KSE / Altitude.

Hello,

I am a member / rider for the Motorcycle Roadracing Assocation here in Colorado. I am also a graduate from Metro State College with a degree in Sports Industry Business Management. I was advised your channel was involved in kart racing coverage here lately in Centennial, CO. My question to you is can you cover any of our Motorcycle road races for the next upcoming rounds? Our upcoming two rounds #5 and #6 happen to take place at our local track in Byers, CO., called High Plains Raceway. Our full race season schedule is on our website along with other pertinent information related to us.

Who we are:

We are a professional organizition dedicated to promoting safe and competitive motorcycle roadracing events for enthusiasts in Colorado and the surrounding area. Motorcycle roadracing is possibly one of the most exciting motorsport to witness first hand, with pure bred race machines competing on closed paved road courses piloted by racers intent on one thing: getting to the checkered flag first.

More information can be found at www.mra-racing.org. Please visit us.

Sincerely,
John R. Garcia
Novice Rider #654
LoveAndPolish.com / Owner
john_garcia@loveandpolish.com
(720) 980-8900

oldtimer
July 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Awesome guys! Good luck with Altitude it'd be great if you can get them to cover the MRA. :D

racedk6
July 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Good job JOhn hopefully we can get a bite on that stuff. It would be great to have the races televised.

asp125
July 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Or if anyone has any contacts at 9 news, since they seem to be reporting MRA and motorsports on their site on a regular basis.

JimWilson29
July 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Or if anyone has any contacts at 9 news, since they seem to be reporting MRA and motorsports on their site on a regular basis.

We already provide everything you see on 9news.

JimWilson29
July 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I hope I am not out of line here, but i just contacted Altitude also my former Professor Dianne Harrison-Miller who has major affiliation with KSE. So hopefully we can get at least something... Here is the proposal i wrote to KSE / Altitude.

Hello,

I am a member / rider for the Motorcycle Roadracing Assocation here in Colorado. I am also a graduate from Metro State College with a degree in Sports Industry Business Management. I was advised your channel was involved in kart racing coverage here lately in Centennial, CO. My question to you is can you cover any of our Motorcycle road races for the next upcoming rounds? Our upcoming two rounds #5 and #6 happen to take place at our local track in Byers, CO., called High Plains Raceway. Our full race season schedule is on our website along with other pertinent information related to us.

Who we are:

We are a professional organizition dedicated to promoting safe and competitive motorcycle roadracing events for enthusiasts in Colorado and the surrounding area. Motorcycle roadracing is possibly one of the most exciting motorsport to witness first hand, with pure bred race machines competing on closed paved road courses piloted by racers intent on one thing: getting to the checkered flag first.

More information can be found at www.mra-racing.org. Please visit us.

Sincerely,
John R. Garcia
Novice Rider #654
LoveAndPolish.com / Owner
john_garcia@loveandpolish.com
(720) 980-8900

Nice work John. Let us know if you want any involvement from the MRA PR Committee.

JohnGarc
July 16th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hell yeah, plus it wil be a great learning tool to effectively gauge how truly slow I am... haha.

cactusjack
July 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM
We were on Telemundo (the Spanish channel) following the event at PPIR...

We need to get on the Ocho! Ya know, ESPN 8!

racedk6
July 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I submitted a little thing on their website contact info.

I also left them a voice mail to call me back.

I doubt they will call or respond but more people ask the more interested they might be.

cactusjack
July 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Someone who knows a bit about the TV industry pointed out to me that it may be worthwhile to pursue this opportunity with the company that produced the kart coverage on Altitude (in addition to pitching Altitude directly).

It appears that Performance One Media produces the kart coverage for Altitude, at least the Racing the Rockies series. Does anyone have contacts there? I will reach out to them, but it always helps to know someone.

Jim Keesling, who owns The Track at Centennial (which is simultaneously a track and the governing body for the racing organization), seems to be the one who got it all put together for them. Given that his money is at stake in the racing organization and that Performance One Media at first glance appears to be a for-hire production company (rather than one that produces original content and takes the risk of distributing it), it may be the case that he financed the show to increase the visibility of his venture. But this is conjecture, I could be misreading things.

In any event, it may be worthwhile to get in touch with him and see if he will allow his brain to be picked. Again, if anyone knows him, that would be the way to do it. I will reach out to him anyways, but it's easy to tell a stranger to pound sand.

JWinter
July 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think this is a great idea and one that could be huge for our sport locally...But nothing comes for free. A media group isn't going to just show up and do this for free. We need to sell them something, like a great show, local advertising, did I mention local advertising.

If we have professionally produced footage of our racing, then we can hopefully get local news agencies to show some footage if or when they do the sports on air or on their websites.

We put on a great show! How do we get more people to see the show? Big thanks to John for taking the first step!

Jeff

PremiumBlend
July 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Just throwing this out there, but Comcast always covers prep sports and other events locally... I've watched many high school football games on channel 5. Maybe that could be a good place to go as well.

jsears1864
July 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
But nothing comes for free. A media group isn't going to just show up and do this for free.

If we have professionally produced footage of our racing, then we can hopefully get local news agencies to show some footage if or when they do the sports on air or on their websites.

We put on a great show! How do we get more people to see the show? Big thanks to John for taking the first step!

i was actually approached by eric crommer at the shop yesterday to maybe make a youtube video for marketing for the mra soon. i was gonna contact rybo here this week about it.

ive been making these little 4min videos for 5280 for 2 years now just for my portfolio to maybe get a production job one day. id be willing to throw something together for you guys if it would get me noticed as a editor/filmer around the area. maybe some footage for a newscast or a commercial even.

let me know if i can be of service. i was already planning to do one at round 5? the day after racing SS but i guess there isnt a super street race that day so i don't know maybe later this summer.

Stateline Pro/Am 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9Ghfgcppk&feature=channel

5280 Round 2 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggSX-l3Rio&feature=related

AMA Final 2009 (still unfinished)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVtyAL-l-II&feature=channel

JimWilson29
July 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
i was actually approached by eric crommer at the shop yesterday to maybe make a youtube video for marketing for the mra soon. i was gonna contact rybo here this week about it.

ive been making these little 4min videos for 5280 for 2 years now just for my portfolio to maybe get a production job one day. id be willing to throw something together for you guys if it would get me noticed as a editor/filmer around the area. maybe some footage for a newscast or a commercial even.

let me know if i can be of service. i was already planning to do one at round 5? the day after racing SS but i guess there isnt a super street race that day so i don't know maybe later this summer.

Let us know what you need from the MRA in order to make your video.

davy4575
July 18th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Ill be happy to donate background music for the video, royalty free. I do alot of production tracks in a ton of different genres.

JohnGarc
July 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Alright Peeps. Here is what I got from Altitude TV and Entertainment. They want some material and a press kit of the MRA. Any help would be appreciated. Also here is the form I copied to show you in PDF format. I have the original email with pdf and I can email to anyone that wants to help. Feel free to take it and run with it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNSOLICITED SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
We thank you for your interest in Altitude Sports & Entertainment. Seen in more than 3 million
homes in a 10 state territory, Altitude is the television home of the Colorado Avalanche, Denver
Nuggets, Colorado Mammoth, Colorado Rapids, Colorado Eagles, the Big Sky Conference, the
Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, ESPN Syndication (including Big 12 Conference and Western
Athletic Conference events), as well as other local and regional sports, entertainment and public
service programming. A full list of Altitude programming and other information can be found at
www.altitude.tv.
Please be aware that it is Altitude’s policy and practice to not accept unsolicited
materials/ideas/concepts.
If you would like for us to review any materials/ideas/concepts that you send to us, we ask that you
specifically acknowledge and agree to the following:
• Altitude did not solicit your proposal. Nothing therein is, or is required or expected to be,
treated by Altitude as confidential or proprietary (except to the extent such material may be
protected by copyright or trademark law).
• Altitude is not asking you to waive any copyright or trademark rights available to you by law.
However, Altitude’s receipt and review of your idea/ material does not mean that the
underlying concept, or any other material you submitted, is unique or original. Altitude may
have previously created or may in the future independently create something that is
substantially similar or identical to your idea/material, with no liability or obligation to you.
As a result, we have established this policy of not reviewing any unsolicited materials until
we are released from all responsibilities and claims that could be made as a result of our
review.
• Any review or consideration of your idea/material is at Altitude’s absolute discretion, and
does not constitute or imply any obligation on Altitude to accept your proposal or
compensate you in any way.
• Altitude is not responsible for any lost tapes or other materials you submitted, and Altitude
has no obligation to return any materials to you.
• Because the material contained in your proposal is neither confidential nor proprietary,
Altitude is free to use any such material (expect to the extent protected by copyright or
trademark law) without obligation or liability to you of any sort. To the extent that Altitude
may contact you in the future, you agree that you will not disclose to Altitude any nonpublic,
confidential or proprietary information, and any information that you do disclose to Altitude
may be used by Altitude without obligation or liability to you of any sort (except to the
extent such material may be protected by copyright or trademark law).
• If you are submitting your proposal on behalf of a company, you have the legal authority to
bind that company by this agreement.
Altitude Sports & Entertainment
Page 2
By signing below, you accept the terms outlined. If you do so, we will review your proposal and
contact you if we are interested in developing it. If you do not sign and return this letter, we will not
review your proposal.
Please complete the following:
Program Title: __________________________________________________ __
Program Length: __________________________________________________ __
# of Episodes: __________________________________________________ __
When will the show be available for air? __________________________________
Is the show closed-captioned? __________________________________________
Where does the show air now? __________________________________________
Do you have sponsorship commitments already secured? _____________________
Do you want Altitude to produce the show for you for a fee? Yes No
Program Description: _________________________________________________
__________________________________________________ _________________
Licensing Terms to Offer: _____________________________________________
Name: __________________________________________________ _____
Address: __________________________________________________ _____
Phone: __________________________________________________ _____
Fax: __________________________________________________ _____
Email: __________________________________________________ _____
Along with this signed submission agreement, please include a press kit and/or sample of your work
or show pilot if available. Submitted materials do not have a required tape format. Trailers, pilots,
series and demo reels can be sent in on VHS, DVD or Beta form.
Send to:
Doug Ballmer
Director of Programming
11203 East Peakview Ave.
Centennial, CO 80111
FAX: 303-925-2994
Page 3
Please note there is a lengthy review process (approximately 1 month). If we are interested in
pursuing your idea, we will contact you with the next steps on how to proceed.
Thank you again for your interest in Altitude Sports & Entertainment for your program distribution
needs.
Sincerely,
Doug Ballmer
Director of Programming
AGREED TO AND ACCEPTED:

cactusjack
July 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
But nothing comes for free. A media group isn't going to just show up and do this for free.

Stateline Pro/Am 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9Ghfgcppk&feature=channel

5280 Round 2 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggSX-l3Rio&feature=related

AMA Final 2009 (still unfinished)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVtyAL-l-II&feature=channel

I've reached out to my teammate Ray (#916), who has shot/directed/edited commercial spots in the past (and who is still involved in the industry), and he agreed to help out. Maybe you guys can work together. He should be posting something soon.

Munch
July 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm willing to donate my HD Camera (CountourHD, shoots 1080p) that can be used if we need any on bike video shot. Might be nice to get some ROR action at our next race.

supermoist
July 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi all,

I have extensive experience in cable, broadcast, cinema and online/mobile media. I've raced RMVR and MRA in Colorado.

I would like to discuss with MRA putting together a script or treatment for viral video (Vimeo, YouTube), a commercial spot (:30) or video news reel content for TV. Since I have a day job, if MRA chooses to use my services as scriptwriter, director of photography, producer/editor or all of the above--the first topic needs to be scheduling.

I have my own camera and sound and stock music. Editing systems and custom motion graphics may add cost.

Please contact me at 303.818.4700 or ray.trout.3d@gmail.com

supermoist
July 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

I have extensive experience in cable, broadcast, cinema and online/mobile media. I've raced RMVR and MRA in Colorado.

I would like to discuss with MRA putting together a script or treatment for viral video (Vimeo, YouTube), a commercial spot (:30) or video news reel content for TV. Since I have a day job, if MRA chooses to use my services as scriptwriter, director of photography, producer/editor or all of the above--the first topic needs to be scheduling.

I have my own HD camera, sound gear and stock music. Use of member-woned on-bike HD cams will help. Editing systems and custom motion graphics may add cost.

Please contact me at 303.818.4700 or ray.trout.3d@gmail.com

JohnGarc
July 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Can you offer free services for the club? If so, that would be great.

JWinter
July 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Holy Chicken! This went from idea to reality very quickly and looks like for nearly free!

I'd offer help...But I am technologically impaired. Maybe that is why my bike has a carburetor on it instead of sci-fi fuel injection.

Good luck, Jeff