PDA

View Full Version : New Class Proposal for 2011--Formula 40

oldtimer
July 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'd like to propose a Formula 40 class for next year. The class is a run what ya brung class, the racer must be 40 years old or older. A lot of other clubs run Formula 40 and I believe we'd have interest in the grid.

T Baggins
July 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
what about a class that "could" include the younger riders but they'd have to be handicapped by an older bike...

Like formula 40 could be 40 and over - or you could be 30 and run a bike 5 years old... or 20 on a bike 10 years old... etc.

polar x
July 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
what about a class that "could" include the younger riders but they'd have to be handicapped by an older bike...

Like formula 40 could be 40 and over - or you could be 30 and run a bike 5 years old... or 20 on a bike 10 years old... etc.

NO!!!!! More like 30 runs 10 year old bike, 20 runs 20. 8)

oldtimer
July 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM

I like the old guy class idea by itself, but it can be debated by the membership at the Rules Committee Meeting in the fall.

JimWilson29
July 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Geritol gift certificates for the winner?

dave.gallant
July 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Geritol gift certificates for the winner?

I think Ricky would prefer this:

http://www.health-store.com/images/products/Grecian-Formula-HairColor-1_5785.jpg

Desmodromico
July 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I thought we already had it, Supertwins :D

Just joking, I love the idea...and in 4 more seasons I am in, probably about as long as it will take for me to get fast.

davy4575
July 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I love the idea, Im 40 in december, and Im already on an antique...er I mean vintage bike. Oh yeah, since I shave whatever is left after my bald region (its no longer a bald spot, infact it has its own zip code). Razors and sunscreen would suffice for prizes.

Munch
July 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I'd like to see a pit-bike class...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4785631773_77e69c48f1_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4785632165_d8274b911c_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4786264820_149febb1ae_z.jpg

jmaher
July 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM
So if someone is 40 and they have a 10 year old bike do they get a 10 second head start?

Joe

Jon
July 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Let's make it formula 50 and you can cut out all the rifrav

hcr25
July 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hey, im all for another class to race in now that i am 40. Are we going to drop a class to make room for this one? ROR O for the most part already is a F40 class. Will this be a novice and expert combined class?

oldtimer
July 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Are we going to drop a class to make room for this one?

:idea: I have an idea.

Will this be a novice and expert combined class?

I was thinking this would be a new expert class. But what do the riders want?

froth
July 14th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Not to fall down.

Jon
July 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM
That's why I said formula 50 because most of the front running guys are pushing 40 already.

phildrummond
July 14th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Formula 38. I wanna play, too. I ache enough on Monday morning to qualify for this class. It would have to be run early enough in the day so the competitors can get to dinner by 4:30, though.

charliec
July 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
OK, all you kids...How 'bout Formula 60??? :shock: I like the Formula 50 class proposal. Go for it!

Snowman
July 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I propose that this Formula 40 class have a grand prix start.

At the green flag all riders must be seated in rocking chairs and rock ten times before walking their strollers across the track to their bikes where they must be helped onto their bikes by a boy scout in full dress.

Once they cross the finish line the winner will be determined by the rider who finishes their can of ensure first.

oldtimer
July 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM
The more I think about it...my vote will be to try this class as a true Formula 40, rather than make up equations to let every other rider in. The point of the class is a "vet" style grid, and besides many of the Modern Vintage bikes are superbikes and not at a big disadvantage anyway. Keeping to the spirit of F40 will create a grid different than say, Amateur or RoR.

If the grid is weak in the first year because of the age restriction we could revisit the "everyone's eligible" ideas. I believe the class will be popular on it's own merits, and will group a new set of riders together.

OUTLAWD
July 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
old people :lol:

hcr25
July 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
old people :lol:

You laughing because they are old or faster then you? Or both? :oops:

cu260r6
July 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Turner, Ricky, Turpin, Applegate... All of you 40+ year olds are already killing the youngins with your old age and treachery, so why the need for another class?

But if you allow a year handicap for each surgery or broken bone I think I might just make the cutoff, so lets do it. :)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Turner, Ricky, Turpin, Applegate... All of you 40+ year olds are already killing the youngins with your old age and treachery, so why the need for another class?

I'm with Charles. CCS, AFM & other clubs made this class so "older" racers wouldn't have to bang bars with members of www.IsItHighT.com. Seems like most of our >40 racers don't have any issues with full contact racing.

ROR O for the most part already is a F40 class.
True, so wouldn't this end up being RORO, but without the qualifying & money?

If anything I think Jon & Charlie have it right - F50.

oldtimer
August 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'm considering making the Formula 40 class proposal GTU/GTO and being open to novices and experts. Lots of time to discuss options before the rules committee meeting in October.

F40 GTO could be a very fast class...but there are also big bike racers who don't run RoR who WOULD run F40. There are fewer 40+ middleweight RoR guys, and a lot of middleweight novices would qualify to race this class. The RoR guys may or may not want to race with novices for no money....or maybe they'll want to add another class and we'll fill the grid. Either way I'm hoping to get the F40 class passed for 2011 and try it for a year. We can always modify the class after the first season if those racing it want it modified. :D

For the record Applegate is younger than me and I'm not 40 so he won't be in this class. 8)

oldtimer
August 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM

But Applegate, Galster, Dimick, to name a few, are also smokin the rest of us and they're not old they're young. I guess we're really out of excuses now! :shock:

I'm with Charles. CCS, AFM & other clubs made this class so "older" racers wouldn't have to bang bars with members of www.IsItHighT.com.

Good news, that's not the reason I proposed this class for our club. :)

I believe F40 will be successful because we already have racers who qualify for it, and they don't have to buy a new bike to run the class. It sounds to me like a lot of riders would enjoy the F40 class and it will bring in good entry $ to the club. Fun for racers + good for MRA = good class to try for a season. If it isn't successful we dump it or modify it. That's what I've been thinking anyways! :D

oldtimer
September 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
CCS, CMRA, MoM, AFM, WSMC, etc are running Formula 40 classes, and most of the clubs run two F40 classes.

As of 2010 there are 120 licensed MRA racers who are 40 or older, 73 experts and 47 novices. This class would be a great addition to our club because we already have a large number of eligible riders, and all of them can run their current bike. I’m proposing two classes, F40 GTO and F40 GTU. They would be scored separately and gridded in the same time slot, GTO starting in front, GTU second wave.

Formula 40 GTU
Riders must be 40 years old or older on the date of the race.
Motorcycles legal for Formula 40 GTU may be used in Formula 40 GTO.
Class displacement limits are as follows:
• Up to 430cc two or more cylinder two stroke, unlimited origin
• Up to 550cc two or more cycle two stroke, if frame is from a motorcycle manufactured for street use in North America
• Up to 550cc single cylinder two stroke, unlimited origin
• Up to 850cc two cylinder, four stroke four or more valves per cylinder
• Up to 750cc three cylinder, four stroke, four or more valves per cylinder
• Up to 640cc four or more cylinder four stroke
• Up to 900cc three or more cylinder four stoke, air cooled
• Unlimited displacement two cylinder four stoke two or three valves per cylinder
• Unlimited displacement single cylinder four stroke, unlimited origin

Formula 40 GTO
Riders must be 40 years old or older on the date of the race.
• Unlimited displacement and origin

Hotrod
September 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I propose this additional language in the rules.... :

* Rider may be of unlimited displacement and origin.

:twisted:

Munch
September 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I like it, will be there next year!

davy4575
September 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hmm, Im game for it, but concerned that with so many 40+ fast guys on the grid, us slow guys would be a big hinderance. Still though Ill go do it. I just like racing no matter what it is.

Jon
September 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
So Wyeth,
As a proponent to this proposed formula 40 class are you eligible? I remember you racing in the late 80's early 90's with the club then you quit for 10 or 15 years but could never quite put a finger on your age. Are you eligible yet? BTW you look great for your age even if you are....eligible LOL

Jon
September 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
There's already a club out there that caters to us old slow guys. Turpin was a big hit with it this past weekend at Miller Motorsports Park. It's called AHRMA and they go to all the premier tracks across the country.
It's www. AHRMA.org

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
September 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
There's already a club out there that caters to us old slow guys. Turpin was a big hit with it this past weekend at Miller Motorsports Park. It's called AHRMA and they go to all the premier tracks across the country.
Good point - I'd really like to get out and do AHRMA again one of these days. I have this to use

http://users.frii.com/jjb/CR750/jim_woody_1991.jpg

rybo
September 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Jim,

It looks to me that the motorcycle in this picture is missing some parts....

Jon
September 12th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Damn Jim,
Is that you with hair on your head or your younger brother?
The bike looks like it would fit right in with their vintage superbike classes but you'd better put the right carbs on it cause they tend to be sticklers on that rule. But as the bike sits in the photo shown, any carbs will work.
I really wish I could work out another season wih them as they are running premier tracks these days but the time off the bitch. Really wanted to make Road America, VIR and Barber but I'm kind of tied to Miller. Maybe next year. Thanks for sharing the picture of the superbike and your younger brother and his friend. :D

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
September 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Is that you with hair on your head or your younger brother?

Naa .. that's not my hair - just something in the background. :-P

The bike looks like it would fit right in with their vintage superbike classes but you'd better put the right carbs on it cause they tend to be sticklers on that rule. But as the bike sits in the photo shown, any carbs will work.

This is a '69 Yosh CR750. Everything on it is "of era". We had the carbs in a box of parts with some other things. It has aluminum rods, a hand-built 4-into-1 pipe (made by a guy named Pops) and other weird pieces (here's what I posted on the sandcast forum http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=194.0)

Thanks for sharing the picture of the superbike and your younger brother and his friend. :D
Hee hee .. that pic was taken in 1991, so that would be MUCH younger. :-)