PDA

View Full Version : Posting on behalf of Dave Hetzler regarding Pueblo

Ray-Ray
July 7th, 2010, 10:51 AM
First I appreciate all of the MRA staff and there effort in trying to add as many tracks onto the schedule as they can. But there are a number of reasons I think we should not race Pueblo.

Pueblo has not shown any respect to the MRA in having any open track days for the bikes, making any REAL improvements to the facility and now the city of Pueblo is trying to choke the life outta the Vendors that support the MRA? How about we show some support to the Venders that support us and NOT race any events at Pueblo? Has the City of Pueblo forgotten about all of the revenue the MRA generates to the local restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc?

I too think the track surface sucks, but realize it sucks for everyone, so I show up and race, but to me enough is enough. In my opinion (as well as much of the club, just look at the poor attendance) cancel the two Pueblo events, THE MRA IS GOING TO LOSE A LOT OF MONEY, SO WHAT’S THE POINT? Make the two HPR events that follow, double point’s events.

Dave Hetzler

Ray-Ray
July 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Here are MY thoughts on Dave's email:

I'm afraid that this is turning into another LaJunta. Where the city made it clear that they did not want motorcycles any longer. The were unwilling to make the appropriate changes to make it safe for motorcycles (NON-money costing changes). Then several years go by and the are crying because we no longer race there. Guess they miss the several thousand dollars that the MRA brought to the city.

Is Pueblo doing the same thing? Lets face it. If we get down there and OUR tire vendors are unable to setup and change tires What are we going to do? We certainly can't race on warn out tires or rain tires in my case. The vendors I've spoken to have filled out the appropriate paper work but are waiting to get their City of Pueblo vendor license in the mail. Is Pueblo going to chase them off if they can't produce them? Why is it taking so long for the city to provide this paperwork?

I enjoy having a variety of race tracks to race at. However, if they are making it so painfully difficult for us to rent the facility where do we draw the line?

Don't get me wrong. I like Pueblo. The track is fun! The bumps don't bother me..That's what gives the track its own personality. Lets stop worrying about the wall. That is why we have air fence!

Lets work together here (City of Pueblo, Track management and MRA) to make a good solution for everybody.

Bring back Erlene (Ene) She truly cared about us not only about how the track was ran but she cared about our well being (safety) and if the corner crew was taken care of during the weekend.

I'm not bashing anybody here just asking questions...

Thanks,
RR

glenngsxr
July 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I second both Dave's and Ray's opines. I would have no problem seeing Pueblo go away and just doing PPIR and HPR. Those are two tracks already that are far and away better than most regional tracks anyways so we are spoiled as far as those tracks go. Pueblo had it's day and now the new reality is that the city has a major shortfall in revenue and they will try to nickel and dime everything they can. Until THEY want to make this a collaborative effort, then I would say screw em and walk away. Let's face it, Pueblo is going away unless the city decides to wake up.

All I can say is thank god CAMA built our wonderful HPR. It's ours, the revenue circles back to us, and it is a hell of a track.

While we are at it, why don't we start the fundraising for a second track on the HPR land? We own the western slope on that land as well, correct? If it takes a couple years to raise the funds, then so be it. Thoughts?

froth
July 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Plus my household for Erlene. She cares about us. Current PMP doesn't . "nuff said. IMHO

racedk6
I would have no issues not racing at pueblo. When I first heard about the vendor crap, i said we should not race there. As far as I know the MRA has signed all the papers to race at Pueblo before the vendor fee changes were made. ( i could be wrong and correct me if i am) When we have to pay money to rent the facility I dont think they should care what we sell in it as long as we have it rented for the wekkend.

I personally do not like Pueblo, I could careless about racing there in the future. I am showing up and racing because of I am doing well in points. If I didnt have the points to chase I would not show up, plain and simple.

This is just my opinion.

and Honestly where ever the MRA goes I will most likely be there and be racing.

T Baggins
It should be noted that this is the FIRST year under the new management and they are still working out the bugs... they are making efforts to improve the place, but it's still very early in the process and they have limited funding. The reason the track is in such poor condition is because the PREVIOUS management team never kept it up. That's not the current manager's fault...

As far as a positive - The track rental is significantly reduced compared to previous years, and is LESS THAN HALF of what HPR and PPIR charge.

So, if we could get a decent turnout, we'd stand a chance of making a pretty good profit on the weekend! Even as much as an $8K - $10K profit if we had the same turnout as we get at HPR.

It was our home track for several years after SCR closed and before HPR opened... and it has certainly been in worse condition in the past.

Now that the city is actively involved in management, it is understandable that they're charging vendor fees, sales tax, etc... That's NORMAL. They've just never enforced it before. Could they make it a bit easier - sure - but it's a new thing for them too. Try to set up a booth at the state fair and see what the requirements are - they're the same... they're not picking on us.

I'm not at all in favor of Pueblo "going away..." it's always been a great track for us. Of course I'd like to see the surface improve, and once we get thru the bugs of the new rules - I'm sure it will be fine. They can't fix the place without money - and if nobody comes, there can be no money.

Now if the rest of the membership doesn't want to go, then that's a different deal as we can't continue to lose money at the rate we seem to be for this weekend... If we can't at least break-even at Pueblo, then it may not be a viable venue for us in the future...

nobasin
July 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Funny how in '07 when 2/3 of the races were at PMP, everybody was always psyched to race there instead of having to drive 7 hours to Hastings or race on a glorified oval at La Junta. It is surprising that a little wear and tear at PMP combined with the fresh at HPR has turned so many people against Pueblo. Obviously there are other issues involved, but still interesting to see how many racers are now anti-PMP. I am not one of them, but can't fault anybody who is. I haven't raced there since '07, but it's a fun track to run, blemishes and all.

DOUBLE A
July 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
People just hate us cause we look cooler, go faster, and party harder than them, I dont think we should start a boycott, if its not meant to be it will eventually just happen on its own.....lets just go have some fun!

froth
July 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I still want the delightful Ms. E back!!!

benfoxmra95
July 8th, 2010, 07:35 AM
What effen ever....!!!!

Anyone been here long enough to have raced second creek.... Before it was repaved....?

Even after second creek wad repaved it had bumps going into 1 clockwise.

Tracks are about 30 ft wide maybe more, and our tires use about 2 inches of that....you don't have to hit all the bumps.

Wow.... Effen wow.

hcr25
July 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I am not anti PMI but do hope things change there. It is hard for us to go there and support the track with our $$$ when there are no open track days. They have done some noticeable work at the track. New fencing and some paint. What has been done to the track surface from last year doesn't us roadracers at all.

The two main reasons of not going back to Hastings was the distance and the surface. When the surface of a race track becomes bad enough to cause crashes it is time to consider racing there or not. i hope PMI does not get any worse.
I understand the idea behind charging a fee to vendors. The tracks that do this also usually provide something for this fee. A designated space, power ect.
Also the tracks that charge vendor fees that I have been to do not charge this fee to a racer trying to sell a set of take offs or a used Pitbull stand. Be ready to pay this fee if you want to sell your set of take offs in the pits.
Mike

OConnell
July 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
For me.... It becomes a fading track trying to charge extra fees, and create extra inconveniences. As a small business owner, and someone who must choose which events to attend, it seems like Pueblo is doomed in the near future. With nearly the same attendance cost, if I am forced to choose a race or two why the hell would I NOT choose HPR? Let alone the fact that I can't practice there for sub $100, when I used to go for $45.00, or the fact that the vendors that have supported me for 6 years now can't participate as they have in the past.

I would like to add that I have raced for 6 years, and PMI has been one of my favorite, best placing and a "staple track" for me.

At the current rate, as a (forced) part season MRA member..... I choose HPR every time. For what its worth, I suspect most in my position will choose the same. I would recommend planning the budget and season accordingly.

JohnGarc
July 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Suck it up and bring your A-game people!!! PUEBLO is hella fun and it brings a new element to road racing...

Its hands down one of my favorite tracks and not only because I am a biased Pueblo Native but I also get to see my big Mexican Mafioso friends and family every time I go there.

I agree with Tony B. If we can make money at the Pueblo rounds then I am all for it...

Besides, anyone can win the PGA If the green is flat, wind at zero, and there is no sandpits... Quit Crying!!! :evil:

froth
July 12th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I had a great time this weekend, cheering between 9 and 10, seeing all kinds of great racing.
That said, I still miss the divine Ms. E.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm a supporter of racing at Pueblo - especially if what TBag says is true about it being tons cheaper.

At this point in our club's evolution, we need to keep all options open. Year to year, we don't know if PPIR will continue to be available. If we kiss off Pueblo, we could become a one track club.

What's wrong with that?

Well, Glenn sold every weekend @ HPR this season. That's good for HPR since it proved there's high demand. But without the option to race other track, we'd have at best a 5 race season.

Erik Peat told me he'd been meeting with some track representatives about motorcycle trackdays at PMP. It sounded like they were kinda clueless about what it takes to run an event or get something started, but maybe that's more of their learning process. Erik, are you able to elaborate?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Anyone been here long enough to have raced second creek.... Before it was repaved....?

You would have to bring that up -- I stopped racing @ Second Creek after we life-flighted several guys out of there arguably due to the crummy surface and no runoff in many areas.

While not racing, I worked corners. At one point, the corner captain I was working with went over to the side of the track, grabbed the edge of it, and broke off a 6" piece without even pulling. Ugh ...

Jon
July 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went. Jim your as hardcore as the rest of us but the only time I remember you not racing is in 06 when you broke your shoulder.
When did Second Creek close?

froth
July 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Jim, I remember meeting you at second creek, when I first joined the MRA. You'd wadded up something Italian and relatively inexpensive, and had to get it back on the track, so they could write you a large check. It was about 28" x 50" as I recall.

dave.gallant
July 13th, 2010, 07:38 AM
You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went.

That was in the Ratt's nest going counter clockwise I do believe.

Fastt Racing
July 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Did you see the pueblo police or department of revenue at the races this weekend? Heck no. Anyone knows that papers have to be filled out, to put on an event in a city. I did race my bike for the first time there, and loved that challenging track more on a motorcycle than I ever did in a sports car. The facility was clean, track had some noticeable patches & other improvements. A/C in the tower. The event seemed to have a good turnout of racers, (not many fare weather racers that didn't want to be there). I hope the MRA gives PMI a chance to work with us on making things a little beter in the future! I didn't miss the pleasant old Ms. Erlene if that was her name. She let the track fall apart for years, while getting even better at smiling, shaking hands, and kissing butts. I usually hate when cities get involved in ownership/management, but even the broke city has a way better chance of maintaining the venue than a couple of broke private operators. THANKS TO ALL OF THE DEDICATED RACERS WHO REGISTERED AND GAVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO RACE WITH THEM THIS WEEKEND! This is the perspective of an absolutely newb rookie to the MRA that has been racing any car with wheels since 1987. I have seen tons of times where people push away from a track and then cry about not having different tracks and enough race dates. I guess I just love racing.

Bartman
July 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I would really love it if you new guys would put something in your post as to who you are, rider # what bike, your name maybe. Something anything, I am getting way to old to figure it all out. :P
The one the only Bartman also known as #45 or the resident tech nazi. :twisted:

LMsports
July 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
This was my first visit to Pueblo. I ended up not racing but had a great time helping as many people as I could. I have a few notes from the sidelines as a first impression.

The staff at the gate and that were running the day on Friday were rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. Definitely didn't seem like they cared if we were there or if we ever came back. Can't say anything about the rest of the weekend as we didn't have any interaction after Friday but the Friday staff seemed to hate being there.

Coming out of the last corner onto the straight I saw that there was airfence to protect against a lowside mid corner. But there was nothing protecting the rider on the drive out. The trajectory of a bike accelerating out of the final corner onto the straight was straight at a wall only a couple of feet off of the track surface and riders were really cooking there. I saw some passes there were riders were dangerously close to the edge of the track going around another rider in close proximity and it could have been a disaster of epic proportions if ANYTHING would have gone wrong.

Other than that, the MRA staff and racers were phenominal as always and we had a great time racing at another new track.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went. Jim your as hardcore as the rest of us but the only time I remember you not racing is in 06 when you broke your shoulder.

Oh yeah - I remember that crash very well. :? My brother was flying out that afternoon to watch me race and instead got to watch me stress out in the pits trying to fix my bike to make RoR.

I remember meeting you at second creek, when I first joined the MRA. You'd wadded up something Italian and relatively inexpensive, and had to get it back on the track, so they could write you a large check. It was about 28" x 50" as I recall.

Yep. Actually once I took the green light for that race, I had the check in the bag - so the crash wasn't a factor - although I think a lot of people thought it was

That was in the Ratt's nest going counter clockwise I do believe.

You are quite correct, sir.

Jon, I think you had a similar backmarker encounter at Mt View in turn 6 a few years earlier, no?

Actually, I only stopped racing at 2nd Creek until they repaved. I think it was during the 1997 season when they'd kept collecting our "paving fee" but took their sweet time about repaving.

Then remember they finally repaved and it was slick as snot? (I think Ricky and Otis tried it out) So they had to come back in and repave it all over again!?! After that it wasn't bad until they closed the track.

When did Second Creek close?
I think the day I got punted was the last race we had - Oct 1, 2005.

You guys are bringing back some cool memories. :-)

GNGSXR
July 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
This was my first visit to Pueblo. I ended up not racing but had a great time helping as many people as I could. I have a few notes from the sidelines as a first impression.

The staff at the gate and that were running the day on Friday were rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. Definitely didn't seem like they cared if we were there or if we ever came back. Can't say anything about the rest of the weekend as we didn't have any interaction after Friday but the Friday staff seemed to hate being there.

Coming out of the last corner onto the straight I saw that there was airfence to protect against a lowside mid corner. But there was nothing protecting the rider on the drive out. The trajectory of a bike accelerating out of the final corner onto the straight was straight at a wall only a couple of feet off of the track surface and riders were really cooking there. I saw some passes there were riders were dangerously close to the edge of the track going around another rider in close proximity and it could have been a disaster of epic proportions if ANYTHING would have gone wrong.

Other than that, the MRA staff and racers were phenominal as always and we had a great time racing at another new track.

i believe the friday crew was run by FAASST and not the mra.
not sure what the deal is with their crew. maybe it was just a bad day for them. the previous track day run by FAASST at pueblo went well and the crew seemed pleasant.

by the way you have a PM rob about the rear rim =)

Bartman
July 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Correct the MRA had no part in the friday antics, we are talking to the powers that be about making the next time run smoother.

T Baggins
July 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
...Coming out of the last corner onto the straight I saw that there was airfence to protect against a lowside mid corner. But there was nothing protecting the rider on the drive out. The trajectory of a bike accelerating out of the final corner onto the straight was straight at a wall only a couple of feet off of the track surface and riders were really cooking there. I saw some passes there were riders were dangerously close to the edge of the track going around another rider in close proximity and it could have been a disaster of epic proportions if ANYTHING would have gone wrong.

Knock wood, we've only had maybe two bikes in 20 years connect with the wall where it's unprotected - and it was a glancing blow at that. Two versus literally dozens where the airfence is deployed. Dang airfence is $4k per section, so it would be quite expensive to protect the entire area... wish we could though.

Honestly we've been pushing for them to extend the straight between 9 & 10 well past the drag strip and then bring the track out around the West side of the drag strip - connecting down past where the wall ends. Or, to take it further South out of 9, then hard right and completely straight up and down well before you get to the drag box.

Unfortunately we're on now the 3rd management team in the past 5 years and so we've never had anyone in place long enough for them to make any of these changes. Tom Abbott and crew have made subtle improvements and continue to chip away at projects where they are able financially. Just found out they have been approved to put curbing in at the inside of T9 - which will be a nice improvement - especially for managing the pond of water that tends to nestle up against the inside of the turn.

froth
July 13th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I still want Erlene back.

PremiumBlend
July 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Drop Pueblo... add another Pikes Peak. :)

JWinter
July 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
IF PPIR actually paves its new road course...Pueblo could fade away very quickly. The new PPIR road course looks like it can be run both directions too. Five rounds at HPR and three rounds a PPIR, and one round at Pueblo per season (if Pueblo stays open). At PPIR we could do one round in the existing speedway, then do two rounds on the new road course just by changing directions.

I am glad we have this to complain about. It could be worse...We could be racing at Pueblo only or Hastings only or even worse no tracks.

Jeff

hcr25
July 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM

I agree but then again I'm actually racing :lol:

beavis
July 13th, 2010, 10:37 PM
We are all spoiled by the new track at High Plains. Racing a new track is awesome. But however highplains will have its own issues in the future. I just hope the money keeps pouring in that they can maintain the awesome surface and adding ammenties. Second of all I like going to Hastings. If you learn the shortcomings of the track its awesome to ride and the lower altitude makes all of us go faster. Their showers/bathrooms are just like at home. PPIR is also an awesome track. I like the idea that maybe it can be raced in the opposite direction. Maybe we can do that at more tracks. That would be like having 6 tracks to race and not just 3. Yeah sure it needs some work but if we races there more ofter then that will cause revenue for better track conditions and potentiality keep it open for many years to come. Hell the AMA use to race there it cant be all that bad. I never had the pleasure to race at la hunta or second creek. But I hear that they sucked and Pueblo was like Miller compared to them. Maybe we can add Miller to one of the seasons race weekends. It might be a bit farther than hastings but maybe racing a SWEET track would give some people the incentive to go. I would for sure. I have already contacted other clubs that race there and want to go.

NossLou
July 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I'll add a little towards this past weekend...

First off PMP is where I first learned to ride on a track. I still enjoy going there as much as the first day I went. I have put the surface conditions past me, yet I still think of the dangers that lie once going off track which would be more suitable for a quad.... granted evey track is different in its own, but for the most part, once you ride off track a ditch or hill is going to get you. I also agree with the airwall in 9... I know the fences are quite expensive but if some one were to loose it on their drive out it would be a nasty wreck in great proportions. The vendor issue is BS... keep it like it used to be and why does the city have any per say in changing regulations towards making funds off vendors? All they are doing is scaring off vendors and reducing the amount of business the MRA brings to the city of Pueblo. Hell technically under their standards if you sell your takeoffs there you owe them a percentage.... that's effing awesome right?:roll:

Regarding Friday.... I know Faast has not done too many bike days and is still learning, yet maybe with some guidance instead of bitching they can switch things up a bit to follow more along the lines of how a typical bike day is ran. The flags do need to be addressed differently in how they are used. Also, the statement "If you go off track, you will wait till lunch or the end of the day for a ride back" will not fly with anybody laying down a bike. Don't quote me, but it was worded very close to that Friday morning at the riders meeting for those who were there. The rule if you go down, you wait for a prompt tow back should stick.... do not ride your bike back! Same as PPIR and HPR or any practice day around the country for that matter. I will also agree with the comment about the couple of ladies up front, quite rude and unapproachable to a solution of not being on the list.... luckly these new phones show bank transactions for proof.

Regarding drag nite... Whoever the older lady was, affiliated with the drag crew in the dodge charger, had some major attitude issues and was blowing through our pit area with young kids present at mach6. I know this has nothing to do with the MRA, but good god was she pissed.

All in all I like PMP, I agree we have been spoiled with HPR's surface and the option of PPIR this year, but if either goes away in the future than people will be pissing and moaning about not using Pueblo... especially if we burn a relationship to that track. I'd love to ride HPR every race, but switching it up changes the entire game of the season. I appreciate what we have and actually would like to trip back to Hastings..... I know that not an option due to fund loss to the club, but seriously... get over the effn bumps and track surface and just go ride....

I hope I didn't piss and moan too much about the weekend...these were just small observations and my .02 cents, We all had a kick ass time down there, even though half the crew in our pit area blew a motor, wrecked, or took a trip in the whambulance....

Looking forward to the next round and thank you all for your help throughout the weekend... the MRA is a kick ass unique club!

rforsythe
July 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
PPIR is also an awesome track. I like the idea that maybe it can be raced in the opposite direction. Maybe we can do that at more tracks.

Just to clarify: PPIR's NEW as-yet-unpaved course they are working on has potential for two directions. The current oval+infield would be suicide going the other way. Pueblo would be spectacular suicide going the other way. HPR would probably just mess you up, but it still wasn't made with that in mind AFAIK (note the runoff differences between the approach to T4, and the approach to T3 if you ran it the other way).

Hell the AMA use to race there it cant be all that bad.

They raced at PPIR and so do we. Point being?

I never had the pleasure to race at la hunta or second creek. But I hear that they sucked and Pueblo was like Miller compared to them. Maybe we can add Miller to one of the seasons race weekends. It might be a bit farther than hastings but maybe racing a SWEET track would give some people the incentive to go. I would for sure. I have already contacted other clubs that race there and want to go.

La Junta was a pile. The layout had some entertaining parts, but I'm sorry to those that actually liked it, the track was a total piece of shit. SCR didn't suck at least in the years I raced there (post-repave), it had it's pucker moment areas but was just a lot of fun to ride, and could go both directions. It wasn't anything super special, but a lot of MRA'ers have great memories there. I'd also hesitate to compare Pueblo to Miller even in the days of La Junta being on the schedule, it was only moderately better then. As for MMP itself, the club went there a couple years back and the overall reception to the MRA wasn't as positive as it should have been, so it was decided that given the expense of getting there, it wasn't worth it. It's not "a bit farther", it's a good 9-10 hrs one way with a trailer. Great facility, but probably not right for the MRA, especially in even partly-shaky financial times.

for the most part, once you ride off track a ditch or hill is going to get you.

Hmmmm, sorta. You'd be surprised how many riders go off-roading there and keep it upright. Turn 9 may as well have been extended into the weeds this weekend.

The vendor issue is BS... keep it like it used to be and why does the city have any per say in changing regulations towards making funds off vendors?

I agree 100% it's BS. That said, the city owns the track and it's within their limits, they have total and complete say on any fees or taxes charged to do business within it. I think they probably just let it slide up to this point, but the fact is a city charging for an "event sales" type of permit or tax is very common everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about the private "hey you wanna buy my takeoffs?" stuff, that's no different than selling stuff on Craigslist or a classified ad, and that is not taxed. They're primarily interested in ventures which are commercial in nature. Now I think their fee is ridiculous and is probably worth discussion with the city council, but they have every right (and some would argue, duty) to charge for business activities conducted within their boundaries.

hcr25
July 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM
The vendor issue is BS... keep it like it used to be and why does the city have any per say in changing regulations towards making funds off vendors?

I agree 100% it's BS. That said, the city owns the track and it's within their limits, they have total and complete say on any fees or taxes charged to do business within it. I think they probably just let it slide up to this point, but the fact is a city charging for an "event sales" type of permit or tax is very common everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about the private "hey you wanna buy my takeoffs?" stuff, that's no different than selling stuff on Craigslist or a classified ad, and that is not taxed. They're primarily interested in ventures which are commercial in nature. Now I think their fee is ridiculous and is probably worth discussion with the city council, but they have every right (and some would argue, duty) to charge for business activities conducted within their boundaries.[/quote]

I was asked two weeks ago at a track day there to remove my for sale signs from two used Pitbull stands I was trying to sell.
My understanding is if you sale something new or used you will pay.
Mike

dave.gallant
July 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I hope everyone is aware that *most* of this is normal practice.

In fact, in regards to event specific sales tax, Colorado law requires vendors to apply for event sales licenses when selling product outside their normal business locations (under most circumstances).

Now, I would be surprised if a tire vendor actually clears $50 for the weekend after busting tires for 48 hours straight in 100 degree heat, but that is a different economic discussion.

dave.gallant
July 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Oh, and my post is in reference to anyone with a Colorado sales tax license.

IMHO, individuals should be able to sell whatever the hell they want.

rforsythe
July 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I was asked two weeks ago at a track day there to remove my for sale signs from two used Pitbull stands I was trying to sell.
My understanding is if you sale something new or used you will pay.
Mike

Either that was really incorrect application of city ordinance, or the ordinance also affects private sales of single items (not commercial business transactions) and they should be hitting up every citizen that posts a microwave for sale on CL in Pueblo for taxes and fees.

My guess is whoever told you that had no clue what they were *really* supposed to be enforcing, and/or was just an idiot.

ducati7044
July 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Being a casual observer of the MRA website I had to register to make a comment on this post. Hey newbys. You should have seen Steamboat. Considering the wining going on here I'm sure you would have literally SH%T your pants and sucked your thumb after riding a lap there. And for some odd reason we all couldn't wait to race there. AND most of us were hung over while doing it. Or how about Aspen. According to todays "standards" of what's acceptable they would of closed that track down instantly. Our bikes had shit brakes, no suspension, and tires that were laughable. But you know what we learned how to ride a motorcycle. I still race with AHRMA. An overly powerful cr500, an xs650 with way to much modification and a KZ750 superbike built by my best buddy Pete Hockenstad.
We'll race anywhere, anytime and be happy and thankful we're doing it. The events are usually packed with fans and riders, there's no money involved and the club is flourishing. We are good friends on and off the track with a social environment second to none. Just ask past AHRMA national champion Glaefke. But I see you lost him too. No wonder you're going broke. A little more passion for riding a motorcycle and a lot less wining about the venue would probably serve you well. Think about it.

Mark E. Hoyt

Bartman
July 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Mark I remember those days as well, but back then we had whiners and complainers to. They just whined about different shit then now, if you think back I am sure you remember that as well as the good aspects of the club.
Now I have not been around as long as Ricky O or Otis but I have only missed a handfull of races in the last 20 years with the MRA and what I can tell you is what I see.
And that is old timers always say it was better in our day, BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT(oh and did I mention BULLSHIT). It was different but not better just different, as time marches on different people take the club in different diretions and lets face it some of us reactionary old timers don't like it so we either go away or (and here is the shocker) we change with the times and keep going.
Bartman :D

T Baggins
July 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hey Mark - talk about a blast from the past...!

We've definitely become spoiled over the years for sure, but as recently as a few years ago we ran at La Junta which made the cobblestones at Tour de France seem smooth... :lol: High Plains is still like butter though, and we're loving every lap of it!

I honestly think the bigger issue is that not all of our members can afford to attend ALL of the events - so they drop the one or two that they like the least or cost the most to attend (distance, hotel, etc...). Not everyone is as die-hard as we all were back in the day.

The current societal approach to protecting everyone from themselves is "the norm" for the young guys - they don't know anything different. That, versus us old guys could do pretty much whatever we wanted to ourselves, so long as we were willing to accept the consequences. The thought of racing on a track that could be dangerous makes some people uncomfortable I guess... Turns out that RACING itself is dangerous - but don't tell anyone. :wink:

While I'm sorry about the issue with Jon G, it is an absolutely isolated incident. I can't say for sure even what the issue is because still to this day nobody has ever officially come to the Board about it or filed a protest. There is no mass group effort to keep Jon away - in fact I think all but a dozen of us have asked him back... but that's up to him. If he doesn't feel welcome because he got crossed up with one or two people then it is what it is - but I don't think that it's fair to make a blanket assumption that "the MRA drove him away".

Overwhelmingly the guys who have been away for a while (as well as the guys who have been here year after year) who have come back in 2010 have said that they were extremely pleased with the direction of the club this year, family atmosphere, professionalism of the events, communication, fiscal responsibility, etc... They're referring to it as "a positive change over years past" so I think that's good.

To be clear, we're not "going broke" - so please don't use that statement as fact. Nothing could be further from the truth. Last year we "went broke" - that is a fact! But have since made significant changes to the operational structure to ensure that something like what happened last year never happens again.

So if that means that we cancel an event due to poor participation (whatever the reason for it) then that's what we'll do.

Understand though, that canceling an event to keep from going broke is not the same as going broke.

Knowing now that you still have several toys in your garage, let me remind you that we're offering license reciprocity this year - so your Ahrma license gets you on the track. Your CR500 would probably win Colorado Class, the XS650 is legal for Supertwins U, and the KZ750 would be something else in Modern Vintage...

So come on out, and bring old hairy Glaefke with you - I personally guarantee you'll have a good time!

ducati7044
July 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thank You Tony. You're a true gentlemen! I apologize about the "going broke" remark.

T Baggins
July 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
No apology required, it's an issue of location on the timeline. Previously - we went broke; currently - we're trying not to. :wink:

That's why they pay me the big bucks... I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousity though, you should look at your calendar and plan on coming out to one of our events. I'll call Shettsline (he's still hauling the mail on Gentleman Jim's CR500) and you guys could have a grudge match for the ages! :D

Desmodromico
July 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Since the cost of having races today is totally related to insurance costs and track liability, I am of the opinion that suggestions for improving safety are not just bitching by noobs, but constructive for the future of the club.

I guess if people would rather go backwards in that regard you could always go run IOM or the Northwest 200 and show us your brass balls.

I had a blast at Pueblo, the track is fine, that said more airfence would be welcomed if it could be afforded as would a better transition into the straight which would also make for better racing.

dragos13
July 16th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I had a blast at Pueblo, the track is fine, that said more airfence would be welcomed if it could be afforded as would a better transition into the straight which would also make for better racing.

The transition onto the straight is actually ten times better then it was a couple years ago. They repaved a large section and made it to where you could actually "find" a decent line through there.

As for air fence, where would you suggest we put the additional sections? I only ask because we do have more fence, just not sure where the riders think it would be needed.

gsnyder828
July 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
As for air fence, where would you suggest we put the additional sections? I only ask because we do have more fence, just not sure where the riders think it would be needed.

Tire wall in T8 would be nice.

Desmodromico
July 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
The transition onto the straight is actually ten times better then it was a couple years ago. They repaved a large section and made it to where you could actually "find" a decent line through there.

Casey,

The guy from super street who crashed just caught the very end of the airfence, I am thinking that the faster guys could impact a little further down the straight if they lost the front over the bumps on the outside, of course Ricky seemed to use the dirt over there as his exit point so maybe the really fast guys would prefer not to have it up.

JimWilson29
July 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If you riders would like to volunteer to help set up and tear down the air fence a the next Pueblo race weekend, we can make it work. :wink:

T Baggins
July 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Tire wall in T8 would be nice.

Ge-off,

Timmaay! and I looked at that on Friday evening... with Pueblo having moved the first half of it back 20-30' already, and then they moved the last half of it back an additional 30' or so recently - we couldn't clearly determine "where" the point of impact would be "if" someone were to get out that far. The wall (used to be a berm) that SpiderBob hit a few years ago is much further back now than it was then for sure.

We pretty much determined that if you lost it on the brakes going in, you'd never make it to the wall. If you lost it on the gas going out, the way they moved the tail of the wall back you'd not get there either. So it leaves the "unknown" region that might be impacted if you were to somehow lose control or crash in the straight between 7 & 8 - before getting on the brakes or tipping in (which is what happened to Bob). Which makes the trajectory and possible point of impact infinite...

That said, I've asked that they take the entire thing and move it back another 30' or so, in more of a gradual arc better following the contour of the track.

After seeing the SS crash in 10, I do think we could deploy at least one more section there on the North end.

Buying more, at this point, is not a viable option, as they are about $5K each.

JimWilson29
July 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Ge-off,

Timmaay! and I looked at that on Friday evening... with Pueblo having moved the first half of it back 20-30' already, and then they moved the last half of it back an additional 30' or so recently - we couldn't clearly determine "where" the point of impact would be "if" someone were to get out that far. The wall (used to be a berm) that SpiderBob hit a few years ago is much further back now than it was then for sure.

We pretty much determined that if you lost it on the brakes going in, you'd never make it to the wall. If you lost it on the gas going out, the way they moved the tail of the wall back you'd not get there either. So it leaves the "unknown" region that might be impacted if you were to somehow lose control or crash in the straight between 7 & 8 - before getting on the brakes or tipping in (which is what happened to Bob). Which makes the trajectory and possible point of impact infinite...

That said, I've asked that they take the entire thing and move it back another 30' or so, in more of a gradual arc better following the contour of the track.

After seeing the SS crash in 10, I do think we could deploy at least one more section there on the North end.

Buying more, at this point, is not a viable option, as they are about $5K each.

Will we have the 3 old sections back from SMRI by the next Pueblo round?

T Baggins
July 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Yep, they'll be back for that event - if not sooner...

gsnyder828
July 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'd be willing to help out at the next PMI round... I did airfence in 02/03 so I even have some experience 8)

My issue with 8 - and maybe it's just b/c I'm an old slow guy and have a funny line between 7 & 8 - is that entering the turn I'm actually headed slightly left and I straighten up/start bending right as I get on the brakes. If I lost the brakes going in - I'd hit the wall hard.

This weekend there was a bump that kept getting me just as I got on the brakes and it would upset the backend - and at that point I was pointing slightly left of the straight. I decided to not push through that turn - remembering Bob's incident, that tire wall looks awful close if something happened prior to turn in. I agree that once tipped in the turn is fine - the work they did to move the wall back is nice.

PremiumBlend
July 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM

I agree but then again I'm actually racing :lol:

One day man, one day. Every time I try, something comes up financially... and the first to go are the toys. So I've decided I won't say another word about me racing until I just show up. :)

hcr25
July 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
At least come out and do a endurance race. $60.00 for a lot of laps with lots of people to pass or get passed by. :)

PremiumBlend
July 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM
At least come out and do a endurance race. $60.00 for a lot of laps with lots of people to pass or get passed by. :)

I just got a street bike a couple of weeks ago... it was killing me not being able to street ride. Now that you guys have the Street class, I'm going to try and make the next race that has the Super Street class. I still haven't road HPR and it's been an itch that I need to scratch soooooooon!!!!!!

ZiaThunder
July 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM
[quote="UglyDogRacing
Will we have the 3 old sections back from SMRI by the next Pueblo round?[/quote]

Yes, I plan on bringing them back up with me for the Aug event, if I don't bring them up at the end of the month.