PDA

View Full Version : We are Not Alone...

T Baggins
July 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I received the article (in blue) below from one of our racers... seems we're not alone in our struggle to put on a racing series at (at least) a break-even proposition. I hope you'll take the time to read the article in it's entirety...

I'd like to take a moment first to relate the story to what's currently happening with the MRA. The changes we've made to our business operations for 2010 are the sole reason the MRA is not in exactly the same position as AMA Dragbike. Thankfully we had our big scare LAST year and had time to adjust for 2010. Had we "barely squeaked thru 2009" - we likely wouldn't have gone thru such massive restructuring in the off season - and to be frank, we'd be flat broke already in 2010 and looking down the same barrel that they are today.

I believe that this really demonstrates the value of the strategic alliances we have formed with other motorcycle race clubs, SCCA, Porsche Club, etc... And it also reinforces the importance of our ownership stake in High Plains Raceway, which gives us greater control over our own destiny over the long term.

Most importantly, though, it SCREAMS out the need for participation by our members. I implore you to do whatever you can to continue to support the MRA in any way you can. Sign up for that one extra race per weekend. Bring spectators with you. Donate your time, adopt a cornerworker for a weekend, don't ask for a refund if you're not able to complete your races... - you get the idea.

The tough economic times faced by each of us, and the MRA as a result, are far from over. It will require a commitment from each of you, of unprecedented proportion, to ensure that the MRA continues to survive - and perhaps prosper - in these difficult times.

The additon of the SuperStreet Series, and the ongoing presence of the MRA at open houses, bike shows, and bike nights has been a HUGE factor in our success... Let's not lose our momentum! We've got half the season still in front of us - and if we keep up our enthusiasm and stabilize our participation we may pull off the impossible and have one of the most financially successful race seasons in a long time! Who's in?

Reprinted with permission:

Schnitz Motorsports Inc.
Schnitz Racing

"Person of the Week"
By Keith S. Kizer

This week’s person of the week is YOU. If you are reading this column, it is most likely because you’re a daily visitor to Dragbike.com. Your reason for coming to this site is limitless, but most likely it’s because you are currently involved in the sport of motorcycle drag racing, have been involved or most importantly, want to be involved in motorcycle drag racing. Whichever category you fit in, today is when the sport needs YOU the most.

This week, the owners and operators of AMA Dragbike made the announcement that they are ceasing operations indefinitely. I am truly the one person who can understand, mostly, what Scott Valetti and Brandi Neithamer are going through. It is an end to an era for the organization that without question stood above its predecessors and gave the sport its best twenty years. Some of you may be upset at this announcement for your own individual reasons, but I’m proud of the overwhelming response of support that they have received on different websites. The decision is one that I came eerily close to making myself on a couple of occasions. Actually making that decision is one that I cannot share and truly grieve over their having to make it.

I want to share with you a little of what Scott and Brandi had to deal with the past several years. I cannot attest to the facts of their budget for an event, but I know when I drove in a race track I was $100,000 in the hole. You are completely at the mercy of the weather as to how the weekend will unfold. As trailers roll through the gate and the process of parking everyone begins, your first indication of a successful weekend is how long the line is before you open it. If it’s not packed, the knot in your stomach tightens and it’s a long slow process to relief. By the end of the first day, you have a pretty good feeling as to how the weekend will go. If the bike count is good and you are comfortable your back gate is strong, then you are on pins and needles until the end of first round on Saturday to see what the spectator crowd looks like. Spectator count is completely weather driven if you have done the promotions and advertising. They will not come if it’s too cold, too hot, too cloudy, etc. And to a Floridian, winter is 70 degrees. They will not leave the house.

There is a budget that has to be met, not only to cover the cost of the purse but also the track expense and the travel expenses. To run a national series, it takes consistency and that requires the same staff event to event and that does not come at a cheap price compared to local events. With the ever declining economy and the expense of traveling across the eastern side of the country it was obvious that fewer and fewer of you could afford the expense to fully support AMA Dragbike.

As much we feel horrible for Scott and Brandi, I feel the best thing we can do as a drag racing community is not let their hard work and efforts die in vain. I talked to Scott at length this week and completely support their decision and feel they are making the right move in respect to their family and their future. The risk that outdoor promoters take is extremely high and in this economy it is one that has proved to be very difficult at best. No one can do this alone. Scott and Brandi had a lot of help, especially by family and in the end they had to make a choice.

Now is the time for EVERYONE who cares anything about this sport to stand together and establish the next generation. I wholeheartedly believe that without some type of national series for motorcycle drag racing, the entire sport suffers the risk of extinction. That is a concept that I was preaching five and six years ago. As many great regional series we have, I believe that it takes a national series to make each of them grow.

The sport of drag racing is dependent on its aftermarket manufacturers. The absence of a national series alone will have tremendous effect on their business. When the decline in regional series follows, the ensuing death of many of the aftermarket companies will follow. Companies like Mickey Thompson, Vance & Hines, Web Cam and many others are diversified to the point that they do not depend on motorcycle drag racing, but many others do and we need to support them by banding together.

I believe for someone or a group to step up and try to be the next AMA Dragbike will find it impossible to pick up the pieces and carry on. This is not an easy job and one that should not be started in these economic times. What will work is the joined efforts of all the existing regional series to operate independently with a separate group tying them together as a national series. This may also open the door for additional regional series where there may not currently exist.

The plan for the future starts with the aftermarket manufacturers. Then at a later date a meeting with regional series directors. Dave Schnitz has sent an invitation to all the major companies who support motorcycle drag racing to join together in a meeting of the minds to discuss this possibility. This is the first major step in the right direction. I spoke with Joe Sway, owner of Atco Raceway and former owner of Prostar, about holding the U.S. Nationals on his own. He said he would very much consider it but could not make a full commitment until mid-July. That would still give Atco Raceway almost two months to promote the race and give the aftermarket manufacturers the opportunity to meet while at the same time having an event to participate in. I could not think of a better meeting place than the track it all started at so many years ago.

As one who invested many years in the sport and as someone now standing on the sidelines along with you, I ask that no one panic. Don’t sell your motorcycles or jump ship. We have too many great minds in the sport that will come up with a solution. I would not look for a quick fix nor suggest it. Let the group take time to make plans for 2011 and beyond.

In the meantime, there are lots of regional all motorcycle events you can attend.

ADRL - http://www.adrl.us/ - July 2-3 Topeka, KS
Bikes in the Valley - http://bikesinthevalley.com/ July 10 Lebanon, NY
CMDRA - http://www.cmdra.com/ - July 10-11 Edmonton, AB
MiRock - http://mirockracing.com/ - July 17-18 Budds Creek, MD

See more dates on Dragbike.com’s calendar. Who knows, by the time this story is posted someone may have came up with another solution. Either way, motorcycle drag racing will continue.

Thanks again to Scott, Brandi and their family for all they have done over the past several years and remember, YOU are the Person of the Week and need to support any efforts of those who will be working hard to ensure its future.

Bartman
July 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I hope that as you read this it put knot in your stomach like it did me. Racing right now is very fragile as is motorcycling in general. So now more then ever it is up to you and me to keep us going, gone are the days of showing up racing and knowing that the next round will go off without a hitch. We can no longer do that, it is more important now than ever for you to be involved. If not we all may go the way of AMA Pro Dragracing. :cry:

T Baggins
July 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
AMEN Bartman! We all gotta stick together, and it starts NOW!