PDA

View Full Version : What spare parts?

jmaher
June 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM
I am just starting and have my bike (05 ZX-6RR). I also have a second set of body work and now rims. What other "spares" would be recommended to have on hand? I want to watch here, CL and ebay to build up what I need.

Thanks!

Joe

dragos13
June 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
spare/replacement:

Clipons
Frame sliders
rear sets
windscreen
brake/clutch levers
chain/sprocket

phildrummond
June 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Let me add a possible one to Casey's list. Swingarm spools maybe? But I'm a newb and always working on gathering spares.

N1K
July 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Fairing Stay and factory clutch.

N1K
July 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
oh shift lever and rod.

racedk6
July 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Let me add a possible one to Casey's list. Swingarm spools maybe? But I'm a newb and always working on gathering spares.

I say go with attack lifters so if you go down you dont break the tab off of the swing arm.

jmaher
July 16th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I learned a lot this past weekend from my crash and that of others. Rear sets at the top of the list since I need them now. I am making a better/refined list. I'll post for comment when done.

Thanks!

Joe

spideyrdr
August 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I am working on a similar list, so I thought I might jump in here and seek a little input.

Casey, you mentioned spare clipons. Do you mean the whole clipon or just spare bars? I ask because after my crash it seems likely the bar would break before the actual clipon so I ordered a couple of spare bars for my box. Do the clipons themselves often break?

Next question along these lines would be how would you handle a broken bar? I have an extra set of grips now too, so I am curious if you guys just carry some grips and bars plus some glue, and in the event of an "unplanned rider-to-ground meeting" would you just swap in a new bar and glue it / safety wire it? The glue seems like it might take a while to set? What if it's the throttle side?

I have never replaced grips on ANY bike, so I am not sure if it's even possible to replace the grip on the throttle tube. What say you, oh seasoned racers?

And, one item to add to the spares list that that was clearly missed: spare underwear so that when you crash you've got some clean ones to put on :shock: