PDA

View Full Version : Sold bike, moving to Boulder, want.. no- need bike, track!

khsong13
June 12th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hey guys and gals,
Wasn't sure where to place my first post, but I've been visiting the forums since finding out I'd be in Boulder for the next few years. I'm also posting at 3AM because I just sold my 954 a few days ago :-({|= I feel as empty as my garage!

So, I decided to get a head start on looking at new bikes and wanted to ask for advice on equipment and dealers. I don't know much about the roads in Boulder or CO (my riding has been limited to street up here in Central NY) but I was planning on getting a Dual Sport for the street and a thrifty track bike for HPR and Pueblo. The only reason the DS came into the equation was (what appears to be) open land surrounding Boulder and snow in the winter (not sure how that will work but I'm just not interested in getting a car).

The alternative is getting a single streetbike that I put on double duty (easier on the wallet, big plus).

Any thoughts on the streets/trails, advice on bike procurement, and coming-to-track logistics? Is a car going to be a necessary evil?

20 days until the move... dying to ride again (\00\) Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

PS: I apologize for the breathless post.. jacked up on mountain dew (actually, Pepsi Max is my drug of choice).

oldtimer
June 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Welcome to CO! I don't know about going without 4 wheel transportation, but here's our forum for good local track bikes. Pick one up and join us at track days or the races!

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=8

T Baggins
June 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
You'll want a dual-sport AND a track bike for sure! Stop in and see Tom Buell at Sportique Eyewear in Boulder. He's been running the back roads West of Boulder on a dual for two decades! He knows every mining trail, single track, etc... and a helluva nice guy. Be sure to blame me for sending you his way! :lol:

Lots of great track prepped bikes for sale as Wyeth already pointed you towards...

Depending on where you work/live - at a minimum you'll need a bus pass to get around in the winter some days. -18f on a bike, even if the roads are clear, would be pretty tough!

General Meeting for the MRA is tonight at the Walnut Room in Denver 3131 Walnut Street. Come by and introduce yourself if you're in town yet.

khsong13
June 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, and T, I'll definitely drop by Tom's place as soon as I pick up my new commute/grocery multi-duty bike (ZX-6R). Sounds like the winters are a little more mild than Ithaca's, but -16F definitely hurts.. maybe I should look at cars for the winter, or at the very least, heated clothes. :-k

Brrr...

Also looked up the race schedule and will try to come spectate the few in July. =D> Still packing and trying to find a place in boulder with a garage.

khsong13
July 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, just got to Boulder (whole 'nother world). It turns out Sportique Eyewear is right down the street, so I dropped by today. Tom wasn't there but one of the employees pulled out a few pictures of him adventure riding on a Honda Trans Alp (funny thing is, the employee didn't seem to be a rider himself) and we conversed a bit before sunglass business came up.

Also had a chance to drop by Colorado Powersports, and met an out of action MRA member by the name of Sam (suffering from a back injury). Seemed like a nice group of people, although I ended up grabbing a double duty bike ('09 ZX6R-$5900+tax) from the cheapest place I could find, and regret not putting my deposit down at CP-Boulder. Well a man can always use a good second bike, so I suppose not all is lost. :wink:

Received track day and MRA activity info from these guys, and will be going back for service and gear.

Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to meeting you guys at a race or a track day. :D