PDA

View Full Version : Oil

jmaher
June 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just curious as I am starting out, have a lot to learn and want to get some opinions.

What kind of oil do you use?
Why?
How often do you change it?

thanks!

Joe

dragos13
June 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Motorex POWER SYNT 4T 10W/50

I use it because it has always worked well and they also are really good at sponsoring small time racers. Their customer service is great and shipping is very quick. They also offer any other fluids your bike might need.

I change my oil every other race weekend...

http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=56

T Baggins
June 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Silkolene also makes very good oil - and they are a contingency sponsor for the club... Do well, and they give you free stuff!

I ride a 2 stroke, so obviously I premix every time - and then change the transmission gear oil once a season.

don't forget to change your fork and shock oil from time to time too...

vort3xr6
June 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Amsoil is great as well. Awesome quality and they offer sponsorship too.

Check out hookit.com to apply.

OUTLAWD
June 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
+1 on Amsoil...I have a cool old timer that is a dealer down the street from me, so its convenient...

Also changed every other race weekend...

oldtimer
June 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Repsol 4T Racing 10W/50 cuz Dani Pedrosa is cute as a button!!!

No the real reason we use it is it came highly recommended by our motor builder, who said motors wear better running Repsol. Since our motors looked great at the last rebuild, with a lot of time on them, we're sticking with what's working.

Very frequent oil changes

cromer611
June 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
silkolene PRO 4 PLUS
i cracked my crank at the end of last year, didnt start rippin it apart until december, still had oil coating everything. very good stuff.
i change it every other race weekend, or 1race weekend and a track day

polar x
June 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
THE CHEAPEST SH$T you can find. Change it every other race weekend. All is good. I dont buy into the whole expensive oil good oil cheap oil differences BS. Change it often and it will be fine......IMHO :wink:

N1K
June 9th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Mobil one 15w50 and every 4 days of riding.
Mobil one Filter or K&N

Clarkie
June 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM
THE CHEAPEST SH$T you can find. Change it every other race weekend. All is good. I dont buy into the whole expensive oil good oil cheap oil differences BS. Change it often and it will be fine......IMHO :wink:

I did this with Shell Rotella T oil from Walmart for a year, no issues at all as long as it was changed every weekend. Always used Suzuki oil filters though, always :wink:

rforsythe
June 10th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Filters are an often-overlooked item too. People spend megabucks on the best oil they can find, and go drop a $6 FRAM on there. OEM filters are actually good stuff, so are WIX, Hi-Flo, and some others. If you can't get the crap out of your oil (and racing WILL put crap in your oil), all you're doing is pumping it around and wearing parts out faster. An extra few bucks on a good filter could save you hundreds (or more) on a motor rebuild.

That said I do use full synthetic in everything I own and am a believer in good quality oil, but with good filtration and keeping it fresh you can run a lot of stuff just fine.

polar x
June 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I did this with Shell Rotella T oil from Walmart for a year, no issues at all as long as it was changed every weekend. Always used Suzuki oil filters though, always :wink:

FINALLY someone else who can see the light!!!!!!!!! lol thanks Clarkie. And I do change the filters with each oil change. :wink: :D

Clarkie
June 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM
LOL I went back to Motorex cause they hooked me up, but never had any engine issues at all the Rotella T. Although I was always kinder to my engines that some are :wink:

evomach
June 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I've been using the new Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic (blue bottle) from Walmart. It is now officially JASO-MA certified (for wet clutches). Works great so far and only $19.50/gallon. I change before each race weekend so basically after a raceweekend + plus 1-2 trackdays.

Desmodromico
June 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Another for Rotella T, make sure you get the blue bottle, full synthetic now labeled T6. Use it in my street and race bikes.

There is a really good read on oil here: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Never never never forget the filter, and make sure you use OEM or better quality. I have also heard horror stories about the reusable metal mesh filters so I have stayed away, YMMV.

chrobis
June 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Speaking of filters, any comments on the cleanable wire mesh ones? There was a vendor at the HPR gala last year; not sure if they have made it to any of our races. I believe it was these guys: http://www.kandpengineering.com/index.shtml

rforsythe
June 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Speaking of filters, any comments on the cleanable wire mesh ones? There was a vendor at the HPR gala last year; not sure if they have made it to any of our races. I believe it was these guys: http://www.kandpengineering.com/index.shtml

Never never never forget the filter, and make sure you use OEM or better quality. I have also heard horror stories about the reusable metal mesh filters so I have stayed away, YMMV.

:P

Lurch chucked a motor some years back after putting one of those on and determining the magnet broke into pieces and was potentially pumped up through. Not provable, but possible.

I just know that the good disposable kinds will cost a little more in the long run, but the particles I want to filter are not visible to the eye (and hence would pass through mesh anyway) so I dunno what the benefit really is. If you have so many large particles flowing that you can see them collect on mesh every time you change the oil, you are about to break some shit anyway.

davy4575
June 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I just switched to the silkolene 4 as well. But with the price of it, even with an MRA license discount (Vickery), Im heavily considering going with the aftorementioned Rotella. I change the oil filter as well, use a geniune oem filter (kawi) I change it after 3 days, either track days, practice or race. So basiclly after each race weekend including the practice day.