PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram Mechanic help - Transmission main seal

dragos13
June 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Looks like the main seal on my transmission is going out. It starts to dump tranny fluid when it gets really hot. Has only happened twice so far, once going over Monument to PPIR and once coming back from HPR.

If anyone has done this or knows the specifics, or any general help please let me know. It looks like dropping the tranny wont be too difficult, but I'm more concerned about what it takes to get the old seal off and the new seal on, as well as any other helpful hints or issues I might run in to or need to be aware of.

Truck: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD 5.2 liter V8.

Thanks in advance!!!

benfoxmra95
June 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Once the trans is on the ground slide the torque converter out, careful it's full of fluid.

The seal for it is pressed into the front pump and a screwdriver and hammer can knock it out pretty easy.

Tap in the new seal and replace the converter.

Be sure the tabs on the pump line up with the notches on the converter!!! When sliding the converter back in. If not then the converter will not go all the way in and you will have trouble reinstalling the trans because I will be sticking out to far.

A good idea would be to take a height measuerment of the converter in relation to the bellhousing surface "before" you remove it. To compare later for reinstall.

You have to use a flashligh to look into the pump to see where the tabs are to be able to line up the torque converter notches properly. This is crucial you will cause damage if it's not slotted in properly.

dragos13
June 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks a lot Ben and thanks again for the suggestions on my truck. Last time you nailed it with my ignition coil and I'll be sure to follow everything you have posted here about the transmission. More questions are sure to come as I get the transmission out :)

HAMMER
June 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
better fix that turd so we can hit the lake on thurs big pimpin!!!!!!

:D jet ski madness!!!!!

( leme know and you can use mine ( p.o.s. dodge :shock: ) and ill take my ladys jeep )

also my man pete will fix that thing for next to nothin.....if ya get stumped

dragos13
June 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
better fix that turd so we can hit the lake on thurs big pimpin!!!!!!

:D jet ski madness!!!!!

( leme know and you can use mine ( p.o.s. dodge :shock: ) and ill take my ladys jeep )

also my man pete will fix that thing for next to nothin.....if ya get stumped

I got the explorer for the skis. The damn sitdown has an oil injection problem (go figure) so I'll just be rockin the standup :)

HAMMER
June 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
JUST UN HOOK THE OIL INJECTOR AND RUN PREMIX....... WE GOT 3 STAND UPS AND A SIT DOWN COMIN SO ITS ALL GOOD!!!!!! :D

CYA @ 3ISH MANG

dragos13
June 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
JUST UN HOOK THE OIL INJECTOR AND RUN PREMIX....... WE GOT 3 STAND UPS AND A SIT DOWN COMIN SO ITS ALL GOOD!!!!!! :D

CYA @ 3ISH MANG

Is it that easy? What about removing the oil pump?

I'm still gonna wait on that and bring the standup Thursday but I do want to convert both to pre-mix after that.