PDA

View Full Version : Returning to MRA after ~7 years...

Kamikaze
June 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hi guys & gals,

I enjoyed a taste of racing with everyone back in '03 but, unfortunately, had to call and end my season after only four races due to that wacky thing called life.

While I'm too late late to get out there and vie for 2010, my plan is to either build my current bike or buy another with the intent of running the full series in 2011, and just wanted to introduce myself properly.

As Mark S. (& others) may remember, I'm the guy who wadded his custom-painted zook 750 in Kamikaze @ SCR when it started raining two laps before the end of the practice race at the noob riders' school in '03 - whee! ;)) I only managed to do four races back then, but did fairly well, at least in Sportsman Class. hehe

I bought an 01 Suzuki 1000 last month, and am torn between race-prepping it or buying a race-prepped bike for next year. While I have no illusions about being fast out of the gate, I do want a competitive machine.

I've been riding for 30-odd years, have a few years' experience racing (cars+bike) and have subsequently learned that trying to do things 'on the cheap' is NOT a satisfying way to race; I want to ride competitive machinery - even if I can't maximize its potential from the get-go. I abhor being passed down the straight by similar machinery/rider only because it/they have a weight advantage.

I'm a relatively big boy - 6', 200# and, while the class looks like a lot of fun, I'm not sure if I can ultimately be competitive on a 600. Even with the power of today's bikes, I feel I'm at an inherent disadvantage at that level due to my physical size (e.g. - How do you handle racing vs. someone who is 30+# lighter on a similar machine?)

Regardless, I'm feeling like it's time to come back to the MRA and have some fun!

SO, I guess the next question would be: Any suggestions/advice for what to run next year?

And, in the meantime, how can I best help the MRA?

Looking forward to meeting/re-meeting you all soon...

Thanks,
Bob
'03 MRA #388

Louden
June 7th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Its not to late for 2010! You can race in the super street class with your current street bike. Not only will you be able to race now, but after two races you will be eligible for a license.

oldtimer
June 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Coming out in SuperStreet is a great idea. It's a new intro racing class we have for street bikes to give racing a try. Just have a track day level of prep on your street bike (no antifreeze, take the mirrors off, etc) and you can race it this Saturday!

At yesterday's Chicane Track Day a couple of riders told me they're coming out to race SuperStreet this weekend. I'm thinking we could have our best grid yet. :D

Desmodromico
June 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm 215 and the weight thing isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as riding skill. Look at Cromer and Grubbs......

:shock:

T Baggins
June 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome back Mr. Orr! :D

Since the classes are broken out by displacement, whether you ride a 600 or 1000 - everybody you're racing against will still have a weight advantage if they are skinnier than you. :wink:

Don't bastardize your streetbike - it costs way more to convert a bike than to buy one already set up...

Whatever you do, find something that is abundant (parts and advice come cheaply...) in the paddock and then race your a$$ off grinning all the way to the checker!

Superstreet would be a good "welcome back" avenue for you, and would get you involved with the MRA sooner than later...

Kamikaze
June 7th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I'll be there this weekend, even if just to spectate.

I'd do Superstreet if I had the gear. I definitely have the bug again... Hell, now that I think about it, I may just up and buy everything, racebike included, this week. :D

I assume there are tons of R6s, how about the GSXR6? Always been partial to Suzukis...

Best,
Bob

PS - Maybe I missed it, but I didn't realize you could get a license mid-season. I always thought you had to do the rider school at the beginning of the season or be SOL for the year. Might be a good thing to specifically mention in future new-rider info.

rforsythe
June 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
GSX-R's are plentiful, and Suzuki uses a lot of the same parts on a lot of their bikes, so even if your specific model isn't raced heavily, chances are the same parts fit at least a third of the rest of the bikes in the paddock.

You might also look into an SV, they're cheap to buy/race and seem to be making a comeback in the MRA this year which means lots of good competition.

Kamikaze
June 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
PPS - any 50cc classes? I have a Honda NS50F I'd love to run too :D

racedk6
June 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Erik Cromer is about 200lb on a 600 and he still smokes me. I sit in at 130lb.

Just pointing out the fact that if you are 200lb you can still move on a 600.

Kamikaze
June 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Agreed and understood. (Apparently I had my dumb hat on when I wrote that - seems to happen more often the older I get.)

I'm shopping the 600s and will keep the SV in mind. I've heard good things about 'em, but never ridden one.

It's going to be an interesting week! :)

Louden
June 8th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I doubt they mentioned you could get a license mid season in the new rider info because the MRA probably would rather new riders go to the school and race the entire season versus the alternative of starting mid season. You can get a license after doing two super street races because the MRA didn't want to make super street riders go to the school, but also wanted to allow them to get a license and move onto other racing classes as soon as they were ready occurring at least two races after the season started.

froth
June 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Plus one for an SV. Inexpensive, fun, class eligible for nearly everything, and if you can beat Moham, the purse will find YOU. (shameless plug for STU/O, LWGP/LWEndurance)

Throttleroller277
June 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Welcome Back!! I remember that school and last few laps of rain...

Yes, do the SuperStreet for sure, twice... and walla!! You can get your license...

Give me a call in the evening if you have any questions 303-210-0425.

Kamikaze
June 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks again everyone. I was hoping to make it out today, but just couldn't manage it this time.

The good news is that I expect to be starting a new gig next week, and will be in the market for a 600 race bike, dirt bike, and an ~80cc dirt bike for the boy. Oh, and a trailer to haul them about.... :)

I'll keep an eye on the classifieds (have a few inquiries out) and expect to run SuperStreet soon...

loujr
June 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11161