PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak Hill Climb

gsnyder828
June 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm tossing around the idea of heading down to spectate this year - never gone and have wanted to for years.

I can't find any info on the website for spectators though - race times, logistics, how do folks get to a good viewing spot (and which one's are good), parking, etc.

Has anyone got any tips along these lines?

Thanks,

glenngsxr
June 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Geoff,
you will want to get up there the night before and camp if you want the best seats. It is quite a party the night before and a blast on the mountain. They close the road going up pretty early the morning of the race. Racing starts at dawn. Take a cooler and a bunch of beer!

Old Racer
June 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Best place by far to spectate from is Devil's Playground, take binoculars for viewing lower road. Park wherever they direct you, then walk to the hillside just above the road switchback at the entry to Devil's playground.

Go very early, so you can be at the start line when they open it for uphill spectator traffic, if you don't go up the day before and stay overnight. Race officials will direct traffic off the road into lower parking areas if the upper areas have already filled to parking capacity, so being early is critical! They are very conservative, but will not let you reenter the road to go up, if they "find" more capacity in higher areas. If you do go up to stay overnight, take adequate camping gear for winter conditions, as it will likely be miserably cold overnight and in the early morning hours.

High elevation means stay hydrated, good sunscreen, and low alcohol intake recommended. :twisted:

NossLou
June 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
+1 for best spot being devils playground
+1 for it being cold as balls at night so take the girlfriend or local colfax worker to stay warm

It is a must to get up there early the day before... everyone gets the good viewing spots if you don't arrive early and the parties are awesome!!! So are girls at 10k+ feet

be prepared for all weather...from rain to hail to snow...every year one of them has happened that I have been. You get sunburnt very quickly!

I hope Rod comes back to reclaim the title this year, not sure if he is even competing but I think Tajima might have started a fire under him.

Other than that its an awesome climb to watch and you won't be disappointed, my fav classes are the trophy truck and semis.

I'll be there as well if plans go as they should 8) Still one of things I'd like to compete in someday to cross off the bucket list