PDA

View Full Version : 2010 CCS Race of Champions possibly held at Topeka

oldtimer
May 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
This year Daytona is repaving and the Race of Champions has been cancelled for Daytona. CCS is currently looking for an alternate venue and Heartland Park in Topeka, KS is an option.

The ROC is an enormous event, and the MRA has a long history of sending racers down to Daytona to win National Championships. If the ROC is held at Topeka I would hope we would represent again in 2010! Currently they're retaining the scheduled ROC weekend of October 15-17 2010, which is after the end of our local season. Anyone else interested? :D

Please visit the CCS forum by May 27th and vote for Topeka to be the 2010 ROC venue: http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,24662.0.html

Scored51
May 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wyeth,

Do you know if all the CCS/ASRA classes run at the event, or is it just selected classes (i.e. main event with some support classes)?

Thanks,

oldtimer
May 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM
They run all the classes both amateur and expert, one race each, and the winner of each race is named National Champ.

freddiewest
May 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'll go!!! I even have my CCS race license!!!!

I can race the amateur events at least...

oldtimer
May 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I'll go!!! I even have my CCS race license!!!!

I can race the amateur events at least...

You can win Amateur National Championships! They crown a National Champ in every CCS class Am and Ex, and CCS has almost as many classes as we do. I want to race it, I hope they book Topeka.

Plus they'll run the ASRA Pro classes and Michelin Team Challenge endurance classes during the event. Here is their rulebook: http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2010/rules/2010%20asra-ccs%20rulebook%20print.pdf

freddiewest
May 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
cool!!!

We could use Al's SV650 for the endurance race :-) I'm sure he would let us borrow it for the weekend!!

I am sure we could alternate riders, Wyeth, Aaron, Myself, and anyone else that would like to race on a SV that was set up for endurance!!

oldtimer
May 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
cool!!!

We could use Al's SV650 for the endurance race :-) I'm sure he would let us borrow it for the weekend!!

I am sure we could alternate riders, Wyeth, Aaron, Myself, and anyone else that would like to race on a SV that was set up for endurance!!

That sounds like a boatload of fun!! Grubbs will be all over this idea. :twisted:

Throttleroller277
May 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Wow!! Re-paving Daytona :shock: 8) Though I have never raced there, I have heard that the banking is brutally rough.....

And.... Kansas is a lot closer. 8)

racedk6
May 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
cool!!!

That sounds like a boatload of fun!! Grubbs will be all over this idea. :twisted:

Grubbs on an SV could possibly turn some decent lap times for sure!

I AM IN!

And I would go to race in some of the other classes as well. I wanna go represent the MRA in a national event!

Vanmar Racing
May 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm.... if we take all those tires outta the big trailer, I think we can fit at least 10 bikes!

That would be cool!

rforsythe
May 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hmmmm.... if we take all those tires outta the big trailer, I think we can fit at least 10 bikes!

That would be cool!

We've put 14 in the R2SL hauler before, so I would think so!

Hmmm indeed.

Jon
May 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't book rooms just yet as it's looking more like Homestead/Miami than Topeka/Heartland Park and neither is Daytona. I really think if they are having the annual ROC at either it'll be missing the fanfare that only Daytona has. I would like to see it at IMS. Now that would be worth the trip.

Jon
May 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
It's good to see you guys all jacked up on adrenalin though. I just hope that it keeps pumping until Oct. Wyeth, you got any extra so you can jack them back up come fall? Cause if that enthusiasm isn't lacking by then I bet your bank accounts will be :lol:

JimWilson29
May 25th, 2010, 10:35 PM
It's good to see you guys all jacked up on adrenalin though. I just hope that it keeps pumping until Oct. Wyeth, you got any extra so you can jack them back up come fall? Cause if that enthusiasm isn't lacking by then I bet your bank accounts will be :lol:

my bank account already is. :cry:

racedk6
May 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM

my bank account already is. :cry:

Haha me too :cry:

clowe
May 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
We would be in for sure!!

oldtimer
May 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM

The good news is we're already a quarter done with the 2010 season. If there was ever a year to travel to ROC when it's close by it's this year when we have an 8 race schedule. I want them to go to Topeka! :D

freddiewest
May 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Even if they don't have the ROC there we should still try and make a trip out to race with the CCS on a weekend we don't have a race????

Would really enjoy going to another venue, already been to Miller, Firebird, would like to experience some other tracks around the country!!

oldtimer
May 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Jon I know you'd do well at this event. I havn't read the rules on the ultralightweight, lightweight, GT lights categories, but those Pierobons are very competitive, I'd expect them to be good in their respective classes.

Not to mention the, ahem, formula 40 classes. 8)

gsnyder828
May 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Jon I know you'd do well at this event. I havn't read the rules on the ultralightweight, lightweight, GT lights categories, but those Pierobons are very competitive, I'd expect them to be good in their respective classes.

Not to mention the, ahem, formula 40 classes. 8)

Yeah, Jon might do OK there...

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10373

:D

Jon
May 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Wyeth,
I've been down to the ROC about a half dozen times and have been racing with the CCS for years, actually going five for five on a couple of occasions so far this season, so yes you are correct that the Pierobon does indeed do well in several classes and of course Formula Old Guys one of them! This year though Boulder Motorsports is backing Shane the Tornado Turpin and so they will be winning by a large margin at Topeka. Congrats to them as the record books will show.

oldtimer
May 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Dang Jon, the season ain't over yet! :lol:

Didn't you win some national CCS titles on the TL? I remember you taking BOT titles back in the day too.

Jon
May 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM
The TL was very good to me a couple years at the Grand Championships as well as Sound of Thunder, Battle of the Twins F1, Battle of the twins Open as well as Supertwins, I still sometimes miss the hefty beast. I bet it wouldn't take but a couple laps before I could hate it after riding the FO42 this year though

dave.gallant
May 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM
The TL was very good to me a couple years at the Grand Championships as well as Sound of Thunder, Battle of the Twins F1, Battle of the twins Open as well as Supertwins, I still sometimes miss the hefty beast. I bet it wouldn't take but a couple laps before I could hate it after riding the FO42 this year though

But what I want to know is how the F042 compares to the Shepherd bike??

Jon
May 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
35 or so less HP 40 lbs lighter. I'm trying to find the time to put it back together after tearing it apart a while back to have various parts powder coated. But me a single father of two eight year olds and a job.......lord only knows if it'll ever happen. I've got an MG with a V6 on the back burner too :cry:

dave.gallant
May 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
35 or so less HP 40 lbs lighter. I'm trying to find the time to put it back together after tearing it apart a while back to have various parts powder coated. But me a single father of two eight year olds and a job.......lord only knows if it'll ever happen. I've got an MG with a V6 on the back burner too :cry:

I do think the day job is cutting into your lifestyle Jon! :)

MG sounds like fun too? You have all the cool toys. :)

Jon
June 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Well those of you who are headed to the ROC be forwarned that the drive's going to be actually further than you've travelled in the past. CCS has made their choice as Miami/Homestead not Topeka/Heartland Park. As you know Daytona's 29 hours though I've made it in 28, RO claims to have made it in 27 but that probably doesn't take into account the 2 hour time difference.
Regardless, Miami's going to add another 5 to 6 hours so come Oct post up and maybe you can share the fuel costs. See youTube for the on bike camera shots.

LMsports
June 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I've raced Homestead in the past and if you go well at PPIR you will be just fine at Homestead. It is another Ro-val.

Jon
June 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't drive 30 plus hours all in one direction just to race a R-oval and am presently leading the points in a CCS class and won back in the spring CCS Daytona round. DIS somehow gives me the motivation to do such a drive and believe as a racer everyone should experience the Daytona banking at least once, granted, Daytona's ROC is a complete madhouse with epic confusion and though it's gotten better with not quite as much mayhem, it all becomes worth it when the throttle gets pinned for like a minute per lap. Miami/Homestead won't offer quite the same feeling/speed though I bet it does offer the same confusion.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 25th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't drive 30 plus hours all in one direction just to race a R-oval
Totally agree.

DIS somehow gives me the motivation to do such a drive and believe as a racer everyone should experience the Daytona banking at least once, ... it all becomes worth it when the throttle gets pinned for like a minute per lap.
Yup .. I hope when CCS goes back, they still run the west banking. There's nothing like being pinned in top gear and have to look *up* to find the corner exit. Totally wild.

Jon
June 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
They've been using both east and west bankings Daytona since 2005 and there's even been talk of the AMA superbikes returning to it. So if any of you are wanting to return think Spring 2011 it'll be done and it'll be smoooth, like Brewer

Jon
June 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah I didn't think any of you'd go. The earth is flat, there's only one racing association in all the world and it's the MRA, Home of how many World Championships?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 30th, 2010, 07:27 AM
So if any of you are wanting to return think Spring 2011 it'll be done and it'll be smoooth, like Brewer
Now you're getting me amped! Daytona with new pavement in the spring of 2011? I can't even imagine. Do you know if they're repaving the infield sections?

beavis
July 1st, 2010, 10:03 PM
can novice MRA racers go to this event?

oldtimer
July 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yes classes for both novices and experts