PDA

View Full Version : F- Help in need, leaking fork....

random hero
May 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Went out into my shop and it seems my brand new AK-20's (2 days on them) have sprung a minor leak. Since HPR one fork has leaked a small amount, maybe 4" circle on the concrete floor. It's a very minimal leak, but that's also w/the bike sitting..... No idea why they'd be leaking, the only thing I can think of is it has some dirt/dust in it from the final race @ HPR, where I crushed 2 tumbleweeds that stayed lodged in my front end for the rest of the race.

I'm planning on showing up early Friday morning, anyone have suggestions. I've left Dave Rose a phone message, not sure what to do at this point...... F**K

rforsythe
May 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM
If Dace can't help you out at the track Friday, you can see if Faster could help you out yet today. Unfortunately posting this the afternoon before you need them to work is going to limit your options somewhat.

random hero
May 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If Dace can't help you out at the track Friday, you can see if Faster could help you out yet today. Unfortunately posting this the afternoon before you need them to work is going to limit your options somewhat.

Yeah... Doesn't help my cause I'm in southern CO (alamosa) I'm going to get some 35mm film and see if I can't clean it out.... then add a bit of fluid Friday morning, that seems to be my only option, if it gets worse I have a stock set of forks I can swap on the bike for the weekend.... but that's my last resort

T Baggins
May 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Well by all means, DON'T TELL BART! :lol:

Sux when the tech guy is also one of the "go to guys" for mechanical stuff like that. damned if you do damned if you don't.

Get some film and see if you don't end up fishing out a piece of dust or something.

If it's only leaking a tiny bit, and you can clean it up easily, you're prob still ok to go...

MAKE SURE it's not getting on your brakes though... that's a bad thing.

Bring the stockers just in case - better safe than sorry.

rybo
May 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
also confirm it's the seal and not the crush washer at the bolt that holds your snazzy AK20's in at the bottom of the fork.

Sometimes when people install carts they don't replace that crush washer and it can leak.

I know that Dave is planning on attending. Text is better than voice messaging to him at this point.

s

Bartman
May 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
To late Tony now I know his name and # so he is SCREWED, but seriously a puddle of any size is a serious leak. A seal can get damaged very easy, one rock chip in the wrong spot and your done or even dirt or dried bug guts. As Tony said the major problem is soaking your brake pads, NO BUENO. If you don't have time to get it done before the weekend see Dave or the Lithium boys and get it handled before even coming by tech.
Also you can get a leak on the lower fork tube where it screws into the lower carrier. There is a oring and it can also become ovaled over a long time of race use, sometimes to the point you need to repace the tube.

random hero
May 21st, 2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah.... I knew Bart would read this, and sadly I'll probably be bugging him tomorrow for help. Really is a bummer, hope I can get it cleaned out and will be good to go. The AK20's were installed by a very reputable guy, so I'm very surprised I'm already having issues....... who knows, we'll see tomorrow :)

random hero
May 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Also.... If anyone will be @ the track tomorrow that has the right tools and is competent to replace the seal, I'll have no problem paying $$$ to have it done. I'm just skeptical many people travel w/a vise and the tools needed... but I'd feel great about having it replaced from the get-go. Bart, can you help?

Bartman
May 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
I won't be set up to do work down there, thats why I say look up Dave or Rob with Lithium, both are good peeps and can help you out.
As far a the AKs being put in by a reputable guy they can be done absolutly perfect and still leak after the first ride, has nothing to do who put them in. As a novice I needed to do seals everyother race until I but covers on the forks to keep them from being pitted by rocks, most new bikes cover their forks well but its not perfect. Hell you can do A lap and catch a rock nick the tube and cut the seal or you can make a entire season with not probs, its just luck most of the time.

random hero
May 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Just got home from a GREAT day of racing.... And wanted to give BIG THANKS to Rob @ lithium!! Had the seals, put them in on the spot all while running on a few hours of sleep.... Also couldn't have been nicer, and helped me out through the weekend, thanks again Rob!!!

LMsports
May 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
It was great to meet you this weekend. We appreciated the opportunity to help you out, that is what we're there for! See you in a few weeks.