PDA

View Full Version : New Racers -- How much do you / did you spend ?

dave.gallant
May 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
New Racers -- After a few recent conversations, I am (once again) curious about how much you guys spent to get on the track. Lets include everything that is "major" in your opinion.

eg: $1000 on leathers or $200 on used? 1999R6 for $2500, or did you race prep your street bike for more or less $?

Why did you choose the route you did regarding what bike you ride and what classes you run? Purely financial? Speculation from existing racers? What you saw on a race weekend before you were a racer?

What do you guys spend per weekend? $300? $500? $1000?

How many weekends do you think you spend that kind of $ per weekend? 5 weekends? 10?

Do you see yourself able to keep doing this sport for a few years?

This has no influence on anything in particular. I am mostly just curious what gets our new riders out there and the budget most are working with...

???

KFinn
May 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Over the past 2 years I have wanted to start racing but had too much to buy. I have also done this on the ultra cheap budget because I wasn't about to wait a 3rd or 4th year to start racing. So Here is what I have spent ball park the last 2 years.

New Loading ramp 114.00
New Leathers on Clearance ~ 630.00
Gloves ~ 80.00
New Helmet ~ 240.00 Could have spent WAY more for a better name etc. But the DOT and ESE standard was good enough after researching a little on ESE.

Boots ~ 330.00 Could have spent way more
Used back protector 80.00
Used 03 R6 ~ 3000.00
Oil and safety wire: 42.00

Here is what I have spent in the last 2 months:
Fork Seals 5.00
Race School and Lic: 325.00
AMA: 39.00
Number Stickers ~ 20.00
Front Tire stand for hauling ~ 30.00
Easy Up, Air Bed, Pump, Sleeping bag & tarp ~ 155.00
cinder blocks for securing easy up ~ 7.00
Used AMB Transponder ~ 245.00

Race School Gas ~ 20.00
Race Weekend 1 Gas ~ 30.00
Truck fuel to get there each time ~ 20.00
Entry Fees for 4 Races ~ 240.00

I expect to spend much more in the following race weekends as the used take of tires I was given with the purchase of the used bike, will be used up soon. Thus will need to buy newer used take offs.

Still need to buy these items this season as I get the money so I can stop borrowing other peoples stuff and be self reliant:
Front Wheel Fender
Tire warmers
Generator

Still need to pay the 40.00 or whatever to get my suspension set up for me. and 20.00 or whatever to get the other take off mounted.

This is probably more than you may have wanted but hopefully it will be of use to someone. I keep fairly accurate records in Microsoft money.

Grand total: 5732.00

GSXRScott
May 14th, 2010, 04:55 PM
$1000 on leathers or $200 on used?
$500.00 on used Komodo suit

1999R6 for $2500, or did you race prep your street bike for more or less $?
$4200 on a fully prepped (quick shifter, velocity stacks..everything but a built motor) clean titled 2003 Yamaha R6

Why did you choose the route you did regarding what bike you ride
I wanted an 05" 600RR as I am a Honda man at heart but everyone told me to get an 03' or 04' R6 because of their great handling and power.

and what classes you run?
Both Novice races, Sportsman and both AM Races.

What do you guys spend per weekend? $300? $500? $1000?
If I dont have to buy tires - $300
If I do have to buy tires - $600 (takeoffs)

Pfff!! Not unless I can pass the PE Exam

what gets our new riders out there
I've been doing trackdays for alomst 5yrs now and this was the next logical step. The real reaon I do it though is because I'm addicted to it.

KFinn
May 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Forgot to answer some questions... adding....

and what classes you run?
Both Novice races, Sportsman and AmU

As long as I have the money to feed the habit and don't wreck. Because at this time in my life, I wouldn't have the funds to repair a trashed bike.

what gets our new riders out there
Child hood wet dreams! Is there any other reason? :D

davy4575
May 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
hmm,

200 for the race school, was just gonna do superstreet. not about to trash my beloved 03 LE R1 though,

bought new ramp for 100.00
tape, misc supplies for the R1 30.00
Leathers 100.00 (smooookkkkiiinn deal)
Gloves, helmet, and A* boots I already had
back protector 40.00
Pirelli diablo supercorsas 25.00 (take offs)...love those tires
AMA license 39.00

Had a blast, got addicted

mra license 125
numbers 20

97 ZX6R fully preped, EBC Rotors, Galfer braided ss lines, toby stabilizer, sharkskinz, renthal sprockets, 3 sets of gearing, 2 cans of paint, safteywire, motion pro wire tool, axle socket, manual, pit bull front and rear stands, muzzy full pipe and jet kit, 2 sets of tires (old though), extra set of race cases, gas jug, race tech gold valve and springs, Fox shock........500.00 (thank you, very generous seller)
pilot race slicks 20.00 (take offs)
Power race dots 40.00 (take offs)
fresh oil, carb cleaner, filters, bolts and fluids to revive bike 50.00
R1 fender to replace front (gotta love roto-zips) already had

Phase 1 of racing addiction

Phase 2 of racing addiction

760.00 and climbing

total to date 1310.00
Being able to go race.....priceless

still to buy:
Tire warmers, digital tire temp guage
rear-sets (stock ones are really low, feel like im riding a hog compared to my R1)
new exhaust canister (existing is dented to high hell and missing rivets)
eventually clip-ons (I inverted and reversed the oem ones so they are now under the top clamp for better ergos as they were on top of it stock)
thats about it...for now

expected race cost per weekend 300 or so
Im planning on endurance to get the most seat time I can for the money, but I really want to do modern vintage so will probably exhibit my usual lack of self control and do that too. will definetly be living on take offs this season, but thats more than adequate for my level of riding at this point.

Ive been very blessed with getting good deals from people here, and thus try to give them out as well in selling stuff. Thank you to everyone who has helped out.

Over all, ive been able to keep the budget pretty damn low and yet get good stuff.

LordLosh
May 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
This is easy for me to answer since i just did everything to get started.
I needed a trailer 1st because i didn't want to mess around with loading in the back of my truck each time so that was an easy $750 plus $100 to register the damn thing. Then i bought the bike $4,500 for a fully race ready 2007 GSXR 600.
I really think the days of making a street bike into a race bike cheaper then buying a race ready bike are over there was so many nice race ready bikes to choose from all for the right price so much nicer. I'd still be missing around if i had tried to do it all myself.
Suit was $449.99 New alpine star SG1, gloves $99, helmet $89 USED boots for $50 back protector $100. Under suit i had but you really need one so save another $100 for it if you don't got one. So the running total for me so far is $6139. Then you have to pay for Class $200 & AMA. Then i didn't want to be a mooch so i bought wire and a wire tool $50, air compressor kit @ Walmart $75, Generator USED for $150 some plate stickers and number decals $25, Shade tent @ Walmart $100. Then i took my bike to get work done and ready to race @ Faster $1,000 included new tires. Register for your 1st race $240. I already had some tools but Tools are a must so what ever you want to spend their just get the basics. So I'm at $8019 add in TAX and lets call it an even $8,100. If you plan on doing every race then you should buy a transponder, as it will pay for itself in rentals fees. that's another $350 or used for min $200-$325 but good luck, Then you need damn tire warmers that's a min of $200-$700 for a set. Now i need new Flippin tires there's another easy $325 or more.

Best advice i can give is that you don't have to do it all at once. Because i tryed and now I'm broke as fuck lol

DarkKnight
May 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I had posted this initially on my HookIt site so prospective racers could get an idea of what it costs to go racing. Keep in mind that is my second time around in 20+ years and I could have done it a whole lot cheaper. It was not my goal to spend as much as I could though it may look that way. There are also some things that I have not included like, EZ-UPs, spares, etc.

2009 racing expenses
Bike 2008 Yamaha R6 - 679 miles (Salvage) $4,750.00
Safty Wire $164.00
Fork Springs Race Tech RT FRK SPR 35.5x33.5x270 1.0kg (FRSP S3627100) $109.00
Shock Ohlins TTX 36 (YA789) $1,245.00
Damper GPR V4 $367.00
Transponder AMB Tranx260 $280.00
Case Covers Woodcraft Left Black $200.00
Woodcraft Right Black $125.00
Body Work Armour Bodies $655.00
Oil Filter $13.00
Oil Repsol Synthetic 5W40 $14.00
Tires Pirelli Super Corsa x2 (320 per set) $640.00
Braided Lines Speigler $110.00
Rear sets Woodcraft $280.00
Exhaust Arrow Competition Titanium, Full System $1,200.00
PCIII $265.00
Labor @ $82.00 / hr $533.00
Spine Protector Alpine Stars Bionic $140.00
Helmet Arai Profile w/ additional visor $415.00
Leathers Custom $821.00
Competition License $100.00
Race School mandatory $200.00
Spools $25.00
Tire Warmers Chicken Hawk - Hard Racing $445.00
Equipment Sidi Boots, AS Gloves, Spine protector, water wetter, Pitbull Stands $895.00
Training 1 on 1 Riders School $400.00
Zeus Fittings Kurvey Girl $32.00
Generator Checker Auto $262.00
5 Gal fuel jug $18.00
TOTAL: $12,651.00

2010 Racing expenses
Kit ECU Graves - ECU, Harness, USB Interface $1,466.45
Bazaaz TC unit GP shift $730.00
Testing - HPR Track Day $90.00
GPS Lap Timer XT Racing GPX Pro $600.00
Faster Motorsports Install of electronics and dyno run $448.00
TOTAL: $3,334.45

Islandermyk
May 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
:oops:

Islandermyk
May 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
All in all... it started with one bike that led to the next (98 tlr1000, 02 GSXR1000, and 03 GSXR1000) tried my best to keep it below $3k for a bike.

The move from the 02 Gixser to the 03 was great. I purchased parts for the 02 for 6 months or so off Ebay and moved it on the 03 Gixser and sold the 02 for $2800. Bought the 03 Gixser from an expert racer of the MRA Dave Cogan. Awsome guy! For $2800 I got:

03 GSXR1000 4k miles
Toby steering dampner
PC3 with quickshifter (sold push type)
1 extra set of rims tires
1 extra set of front brake calipers
1 extra set of steel brake lines
a few front brake rotors
extra set of front forks
had 2 sets of rearsets (sold)
AMB transponder w/everything to go with it
woodcraft clip-ons
woodcraft case covers
penske shocks
brembo master front cylinder
DID 520 chain geared
all safety wired
extra Folding Brembo lever
Extra front master brake cylinder (OEM)
extra levers (OEM)
race gas cap

All for $2800...

Other items and parts purchased:

1 (Kiddie snatcher, etc... so many names :lol: ) cargo van 160K miles $1100 (Craigslist)
Another great racer is Dodd Jacobsen who sold me the Chicken Hawk tire warmers for $250 and threw in a 1 piece Astar suit for free.
Yoyodyne Slipper clutch $300 (Ebay)
Barnett clutch $150 (online)
Scotts steering Dampner (top mount) $225 (Ebay)
Gilles rearsets $180 (Ebay)
Quickshifter (pull type) $150 (Ebay)
Full yosh exhaust $180 (Ebay)
Factory Pro Velocity stacks $80 (Ebay)
Brake fluid and oil w/oil filter $95 (Vickery)
Alpinestars 2 piece suit $260 (Craigslist)
Astar Supertech Boots $180 (Ebay)
Astar Bionic Back protector $50 (Ebay)
Shoie X11 $200 (Ebay)
Held gloves $230 (online STG)
front and rear stands $145 (Ebay)
generator $100 (craigslist)
5 gal can $18 (Ebay)
ramp $95 (Ebay)
front wheel chock $60 (Harbour freight)
tool box w/tools (harbour frieght, craigslist, and ebay) $200
EZ UP $50 (Craigslist)
Straps $24 (Checkers)

ROUGH TOTAL OF $4350 w/out the bike!

I've done a hand full of track days and took part on the 1st SuperStreet race ($140). Actually took Marks race class almost 2 years ago thanks to Jon Garcia who encouraged me to get into racing (on the track).

And they say crack is bad for you?! :lol:

There are amazing deals out there, but in time... it all adds up. I spent almost all year of 09' gathering all this stuff up, but I enjoyed doing it at the same time got to meet great people, and you know what... it's time to play! Don't do it if you are not goin to enjoy it!!! This is the only advice I can really give out there...

OUTLAWD
May 14th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I did this the completely ass backwards way...bought a 2nd street bike because I had no trailer and wanted to do more track days...decided if I kept carrying on on the street I would get arrested, and decided to look for a race bike...I couldn't sell mine, so I just started tearing the street bike apart and making it MRA legal.

I really didn't plan on racing when i bought the bike, so I kinda screwed myself class-wise with the 750...o well

2003 GSXR 750 - $4300

Race Prep
case covers - new - $200
spare rims/rotors - used - $300
used bodywork/tank/fairing stay - $200
AMB - used - $300
odds and ends - $400 (prob more)
paint/#plates - $120
maintenance items (oil, fork oil, plugs, air filter, chain/sprockets) - $400
fork springs - $100
Tires - BT003RS - $220 and counting....next stop Dunlops :)

$2240

Track stuff
Gennie - used - $450
warmers - new - $300
stands - $200
trailer - used - $550

$1500

Gear
Sidi vertigo corsa - used - $225
A* SG1 - new - $400
Tecknic 2 pc - used - $200
A* GP Pro gloves - new - $200
Suomy spec 1r extreme - closeout - $400
HJC carbon fiber lid - $200
A* back protector -$100

$1725

Total $9765...ouch

weekly expenses
tires - $340
fuel - $20
Fuel(truck) - $75
lapping day - $150
races fees - $200
food - $30

This is off the top of my head...so i prob missed some stuff...and there are no maint fees because I am handy like that...;)

Louden
May 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
1)Why did you choose the route you did regarding what bike you ride and what classes you run? Purely financial? Speculation from existing racers? What you saw on a race weekend before you were a racer?

1)I've been wanting to road race for years, but the cost to prep my bike, buy my gear, and all the odds and ends were absolutely daunting. I heard about the MRA last year and kept up with the forums. When they posted the Super Street class I knew I had to go for it, because my bike (RC51) prep was minimal = distilled water and water wetter. I still needed gear, but I couldn't make anymore excuses.

2)eg: $1000 on leathers or $200 on used? 1999R6 for $2500, or did you race prep your street bike for more or less $?

2)2009 closeout teknic violator suit = $410 delivered by Lithium Motor Sports. They are also MRA supporting vendors. Kawasaki shop on the interstate in Love Land offered 10% off any suit purchased at advertised price in Denver if I would allow shipping time.

2)2009 closeout TCX Compitizione S boots. $189 delivered by www.sportbiketrackgear.com (STG.com)

2)Alpinestars GP pro gloves new $90 on ebay.

2)Used 2007 scorpion ex700 helmet with extra shield. $75 craigslist

2)Spidi defender back and chest protector $157 On the clearance rack so this was just a lucky find at Ducati motorsports in Loveland.

2)This was all I needed to come to the race school and enter the super street race, so I left it at that.

2) total $921 plus all the bull crap of finding everything.

3)What do you guys spend per weekend?

3)I went to the race school (optional $200 for super street racers) and found out that its a full take of gas to get to and from the track $60 for the truck + 20 dollars to gas the bike for the whole day. At inspection I was told my bike needed brakes, but they would be alright for awhile. It was also recommended to me to purchase new tires and new chain and sprockets. I also found out my clutch doesn't like that whole launching thing cause its worn out. But non the less the day went well.

3)The first race weekend $ 39 for AMA card plus $100 for the Super Street class, track time, and the race + gas again minus ten bucks cause there is less track time on the bike for super street/ Add on a case of beer to thank everyone for all their help and advice. Went through inspection again and found out my tires Avon azaro sport touring tires(almost eight thousand miles on them, but haven't reached the wear indicators yet) were in need of replacement. I wanted to replace them anyway because they were never made for track use, but i didn't want to do it that day. Lucky for me they let me race anyway and I took it easy and they held together.

3) average weekend total: about $190 for super street, and $280 for race school - minus AMA card which is a good investment anyways because you get 10% off bikebandit.com plus a ten dollar gift card.

4)Why did you choose the route you did regarding what bike you ride and what classes you run? Purely financial? Speculation from existing racers? What you saw on a race weekend before you were a racer?

4) I had to fix up the bike, and there wasn't enough money to buy another one plus I can't let go of it so these are the parts I had to buy before this weekend.

4)Used stands Pit Bull front and LHP rear off craigslist $150

4)Michelin power pure (not exactly race tires and not exactly street ties to these should last and save money) tires $290 for 120/70/17, 190/55/17 rear at SGT.com. 303cycles in denver offered me them for ten bucks less If i picked them up myslef

4)Chain and sprocket kit $190 SGT.com

Carbon Lorraine front brakes $100 SGT.com

4) Accurate air gauge $20

4) Total to pass inspection at race number two: $750

4)I'm starting to wish I would have bought a race prepped bike now cause I'm putting money in that I will likely not get back out of it and could have put toward a better race bike, but oh well I love this bike. Right?

5)How many weekends do you think you spend that kind of $ per weekend? 5 weekends? 10?

5) I work every other weekend so I'm hindered a little, but I'm making as many as possible.

6)Do you see yourself able to keep doing this sport for a few years?

6) Next year I want to be ready to actually race which is not going to happen this year, but honestly I don't know if I'll be able to afford it.

7)My own question: Is there anyway we could do a modern version of the CB160.

7) I watched the video on the CB 160's and decided that is what I want racing be like. Guys and girls out there having fun on almost equal bikes racing without the money.

7) I also noticed fixing up a hunk of junk is not easy either, so how could we do this without spending a ton of dough on junkers?

7) I thought about it a little and realized now that after all the time I spent looking for good gear and parts for less money, I could have been worrying about racing more and fixing less. I wish the MRA could set up a manufacturer sponsored event. For example creating a race with small bikes that have little changes over the years like a Kawasaki 250cc or possibly the new KTM 125cc (motorcyclelist magazine may of 2010) that were sold by the MRA or from the factory race ready and affordable. This would eliminate the worry of buying expensive parts for a bike you currently owned that wouldn't be competitive. Also with a simple rule of from the factory only parts eliminate anything but ability from that grid. If the MRA could also talk another company that sells and or manufactures motorcycle safety equipment like alpinestars, teknic, or even a local retailer that would be willing to sell a new racer all the necessary equipment at a really good price with the purchase of the new race bike and pre-registering for at least one race (preferably there would be at least one event especially for these bikes) at every MRA event for one season. The bikes would clearly be sponsored by the company willing to sell the bikes race ready and or all the companies it would take to make them race ready, plus the company that would sell the gear with the bike for much less. This would eliminate having to look for good deals and having to worry about putting money into a machine that is really not worth it. As well as let new guys like me race and learn the important stuff on bikes that will not let them compensate with horse power. I know that was off topic, but If I could have walked up to the MRA or a manufacturer and bought a bike my gear and been signed up for every race for one season for around six thousand bucks, it would have been a great way to get started. I know wishful thinking!

sikwitit
May 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I just bought a new 09 ZX6 this past Sept and through the winter I did the basic prep for racing
Bike:$9000
New Vortex rear sets: $365
Clip ons:$160
Body work:$665
Slip on: $375
Brake lines:$150
I had bought through the Years all the gear for track days but it took me a while. I'm only running Middle end. and Heavy end. cause I can't afford sprints yet. I'm hoping that I'll be racing till I'm wearing pull ups but who knows. That's why I'm not married and have zero kidz. That would just get in the way of racing. Who wants that????????? :lol:

bluedevil
May 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I wont go as specific but my 1st "real" season including buying everything
03R6 already race prepped, spares, QS, Full system, Dyno tune, gear, generator, canopy, trailer, travel, fuel, entry fees (4 races) tires, etc I spent just a smidge over $17K

Spent $7-900 a weekend including tires, entry fees, hotel, race fuel etc

My last year was budget racing: Raced 2 classes,
99 R6 race prep'd $3K
Motor work $2500
Entry Fees $200 per weeekend
Race Fuel $80 ($40 per weekend)
Tires 3 sets all season + rains $1200
Hotel and fuel $very little since our season was short and we didnt travel

Total roughly $7K-7500