PDA

View Full Version : RC51 in need

Louden
May 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM
To all the guys who helped me out at race #1 I want to say thanks for everything. I really appreciate all your advice. I really contemplated selling the RC51 and buying a 600cc, but I just couldn't bring myself to let her go for as little as I would have. So I decided to take your advice on parts I just ordered michelin power pure tires with the taller rear 190/55/17, new carbon Lorraine brakes, new chain and sprockets 15 front and 42 rear, and a real good air pressure gauge. Now that I've changed the gearing and geometry, would anyone with RC51 knowledge mind helping me tune the suspension, and if I asked real nice let me borrow a chain tool and or if your afraid I might break it possibly break and press my chain on sense I was to cheap to buy one. If your interested in helping me out I'll have a 12 pack with your name on it.

Throttleroller277
May 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Nice to see you are coming back for more.

I know nothing about RC51's, other than they are missing some pistons, and sound funny. But I would be glad to help you out in any way that I can, I have a chain tool, what part of town do you live in?

~Brownie 8)

T Baggins
May 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Dan Harmon (qwiksilver119 on these forums) has raced an RC51 for years, though I think he's on something else now...

he's a good guy, and would be happy to answer questions I'm sure...

here's his profile info:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9147

nwatkins176
May 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Louden, glad to see you hooked up your RC51 even though I was one of the guys that suggested a 600. Come track down my beat up RV and I am sure we can find you the help you need.

motolitho
May 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I also have an RC51, but only for street. I just did the chain thing on my Gixxer and found lots of people at the track bring the tool with them. If you get into a pinch- cut the old chain off with a dremel (just the heads of the pins), pry off the link and remove the chain. Remember to break the bolt free on the engine sprocket first before cutting the chain (this is key). Mount the new sprockets, and figure out the correct length- cut the rest off and bring everything to the track. We can find someone with a tool to press the new link on. I will be pitted next to Neil (I think I was pitted across from you at the last race).

Chris

cromer611
May 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
or just get a clip style masterlink, safety wire, and silicone and you dont have to borrow/break anything : )

Louden
May 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the offers to help, and the advice. I'll be seeing you guys at the track. And Chris I'm sorry I didn't come over and introduce myself, but I'm sure I'll meet you at PPIR.

motolitho
May 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
We will be in Garage #5.

GSXRScott
May 12th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I've got a motion pro chain breaker/rivoter you can use. I'm at about Alameda and Federal.

OUTLAWD
May 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've got a chain tool as well...up in FoCo

Louden
May 12th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the offers guys, I'm pretty set on getting the chain on now. I'm still looking for advice regarding my suspension! OUTLAWD I'm in Fort Collins as well so if your ever looking for someone to share traveling expenses with or need a hand with something, let me know.

Louden
May 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well my shipment came in today, but it was missing the chain and sprockets. So unless the company I bought them from gets back to me and overnights them by tomorrow, I'm SOL. I appreciate everyone who offered to put it on and I'll be looking you guys up when it does arrive. I'm going to put the bike back together anyway and try to run it even though the bike is going to be terribly high geared with the new rear tire. But I'm so slow I don't think it will make much of a difference right now. I do have a small problem right now, I went to three motorcycle shops today and asked if they would mount my tires and they said I had to buy the tires there. I finally got one place to agree and put them on the wheel, but it was $40 bucks a tire plus tax. I don't know if this is a normal price or not, because I use to have a guy at my local tire shop mount them for ten bucks each (We didn't have a motorcycle dealership there).

1)Can anyone tell me if there is a place in norther Colorado that will mount my tires for a decent price if I didn't buy them from there? Does anyone know if the tire guys at the track would mount them for me and how much it would cost?

2) Sense I didn't get my new chain and sprockets and will not be able to adjust the length of the chain, when I go to put the bigger rear tire on with the stock chain and sprockets will the tire rub my swing arm?

I don't think it will, but if I pay to get that tire mounted and it doesn't fit I'm not going back and paying again to re-mount my other tire.