PDA

View Full Version : PPIR - what to expect?

Munch
May 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I've never been to the track, and am hoping to hit the track day before round 2.

What can I expect?

Track conditions? Good surface? Bumpy? Abrasive like Pueblo?

Gearing? If you change from HPR - what do you do, gear it down? I understand every bike is different, but curious if you make changes for this shorter track or not.

Thanks!!

rforsythe
May 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Much shorter lap times, expect to be holding into the turns more (less time up and down - even the straights are mostly curved). Surface isn't bad, but has some bumpy spots. Smoother than Pueblo, not as much as HPR. The patches in 4-5 get slippery when wet, but are good otherwise. Top speed will be lower than HPR, so you can gear shorter a bit to get some better drive as you won't have a massive straight to contend with.

Turn 1 will be interesting due to the new chicane we're installing on the 17th. It will be a little slower going into it now which will change up strategy there somewhat.

glenngsxr
May 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Much shorter lap times, expect to be holding into the turns more (less time up and down - even the straights are mostly curved). Surface isn't bad, but has some bumpy spots. Smoother than Pueblo, not as much as HPR. The patches in 4-5 get slippery when wet, but are good otherwise. Top speed will be lower than HPR, so you can gear shorter a bit to get some better drive as you won't have a massive straight to contend with.

Turn 1 will be interesting due to the new chicane we're installing on the 17th. It will be a little slower going into it now which will change up strategy there somewhat.

Ralph,
great to hear that T1 is getting a chicane. I was gonna ask about that.

rforsythe
May 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ralph,
great to hear that T1 is getting a chicane. I was gonna ask about that.

There's some discussion about it in the May 17th Track Day thread as well. We will be installing it the morning of the 17th, so anyone riding that day or on the 21st will be able to get some time in figuring out how to adjust their line before the weekend.

oldtimer
May 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
A few of us are riding this Monday the 10th. We will try to set up the T1 configuration similarly for this Monday's practice.

The MRA will have the final set up word for the race weekend, we're just trying to get close for practice this week. See you guys there. :)

LMsports
May 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
How did it work with the change you tried on the 10th?

oldtimer
May 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Yesterday's track day at PPIR went great. There were only 8 of us so it was like having a private day! Thanks to Brad Hendry for showing all of us PPIR tips and tricks! :D

The new T1 configuration went well and T1 is still very fast. The bike is now directed down the banking earlier, and everyone must pass through a cone funnel on the banking to avoid very high and low lines at the same point on the banking. The transition from the banking onto the apron is more upright, and it appears if a rider was really pushing traction it would be more likely down on the apron, rather than up on the banking.

Overall I believe the new solution preserves the high speed of T1-T2, but moves us into a better position on the track. Nice work to the crew who came up with this new config!

Scored51
May 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wyeth, any idea how the lap times compared?

oldtimer
May 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Its hard to say based on the small group yesterday. It seems like times should be slightly slower but people were still going good.

chris nami
May 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds the same as we used to run... Like the AMA set up?

cromer611
May 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
expect your upperbody to be sore as hell from throwing your bike around.
better start doin the pushups now

racedk6
May 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
expect your upperbody to be sore as hell from throwing your bike around.
better start doin the pushups now

Ha more like sore from hanging off the left side of your bike 90% of the track!

freddiewest
May 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Grubbs is right, feels like you are hanging off the left the entire time except for the 2 right handers..... lot's of fun though had a great day and the weather was fantastic late in the day!!!

Like Wyeth said a big thanks to Brad for his help!!! It was a great time talking about different lines and how everyone's bike was doing...