PDA

View Full Version : Danger of practicing on old tires?

davy4575
May 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
So I have my track bike up and running, I want to test and tune some things in on it and get used to it. The rubber that is currently on it are pilots from 4 or 5 years ago, when the bike was last running. that sat on the bike in a garage, unused for the last few years. Theres no cracks or rot on them, and they dont feel hard. Are they wasted from sitting so long, or is it likely that I might be able to get a few practice laps on them? Im pretty much inclined not to risk it, but dont know if Im being too cautious.

Thanks

rybo
May 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Davy,

If the tires had NEVER been used they might be OK, but if they have some laps on them it's really not worth taking the chance. There are plenty of folks that sell reasonably priced take offs that are a bit more current. Those would be a better choice in my opinion.

s

glenngsxr
May 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Even with minimal use, rubber is a compound that will harden over time. I don't think I would risk it. There are plenty of people in the club that would be willing to throw you some good takeoffs on the cheap , or possibly even free. Glenn #62

davy4575
May 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks. Pretty much what I figured. I got a line on some take offs for cheap that will atleast alow me to get some seat time on the bike. Of course Ill need to get another set for ppir. (if anyone has a set of 120/180's) :lol:

N1K
May 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I've got a set of power race.

N1K
May 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
How it feel ?? You looked pretty good out there the couple times I saw ya. bike just needs 30 more hp eh

davy4575
May 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Lol, Felt great, Ill worry bout adding horsepower once I get better and consistant. bike does alright for being 12 years old and not having ran in 6 years though. I ran the slicks for the weekend, they held up good. Im changing out to the pr's I got from you for track day and practice for hpr.