PDA

View Full Version : How do you define a great racer?

Clarkie
May 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM
No I am not talking about the MotoGP racers or even AMA racers. When you look around the pits at a club race, what attributes does someone have that makes you think this way of them.

No 'being fast' isnt a good answer. I know some very fast racers that I wouldn't say are great racers, I also know some other racers that may not be on the podium every week I think are great racers. A little different to being a great person.

No names, just attributes.

So I will start, one of the things I think makes a great racer is the respect they have in the pits/community from other racers. They dont 'demand' respect, they have earned it.

Discuss :)

May 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Great racers ride 2T's. :lol:

Jon
May 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I think those racers who are willing to show some of the newer racers the ropes, who are willing and anxious to promote the sport and always keep their egos in check. Shane, You my boy, and Dan Turner rise to the top of the list in this respect.

Desmodromico
May 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Discipline, tenacity, focus, and willingness to help others would seem to stand out from my short time in the MRA.

When a guy who runs top 10 ROR is willing to swap stories with a slow novice and help them get better that is huge in my book, and it is the only way racing sustains itself at the club level. (thanks Clarkie for your input in my other thread!)

Clarkie
May 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Focus was mentioned and to me that is a huge thing. You see some racers joke around, staying relaxed in the pits but when the helmet goes on it is game on!

Others sit in a chair and get mentally ready for a race, like most things there isnt a right way and a wrong way. Sure everyone is out there for fun, yeah 5% of racers do it for a living, but regardless of your racing level you should always do something to get mentally prepared.

The mental strength required at club level is something a lot of club racers dont think about, Mark S. and I have talked about it. Being mentally tougher than your competition on track (doesnt mean being an asshole) can make more of a difference than people think.

When ST and I raced, we were two very accomplished racers, on two bikes very close in every way. A lot of times he would beat me when I was actually faster than him, by out thinking me. Bastard! :D

I have told a few people I am helping, always have a plan. Dont just 'do laps' or 'try and win' as many unexpected things can happen during a race. Have a plan, be ready to adapt :wink: I mean if someone builds a wall really quickly and it appears in front of you, DON'T HIT IT! :D

Clarkie
May 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
On things that has always impressed me is pure skill on a race bike. Brad Hendry did it a few times where I would be in a race with him and he would put his bike on some unthought of piece of the track and get an awesome drive or just be blazing fast through that segment. I would be like, but, ummm, how, then keep going.

Of course he was one of main competition so i wouldnt say anything to him about it :D

glenngsxr
May 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I think approachability is a huge one in my mind. There are some people that you can easily approach and ask anything and they will give you an honest answer. I also think the great racers try to maintain a very clean, organized program. Their pits are usually indicative of this and it impresses me every time.

Another one is the racer who is willing to flat out say, "hey, I got beat, he/she rode better than me". Not a fan of the excuses.

bluedevil
May 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Well said so far. Not only fast, but willing to help out a racer, club, or spectator to become better or enjoy the sport more. Kind of an "advocate of the sport" so to say. In addition, one who leaves the tude at home. Cocky, arrogant, stand offish racers disgust me. Respect your fellow racer, treat them with respect and as a human on and off the track.

Superior racing skills dont hurt either :wink:

Id second Glenn's comment as well
"Another one is the racer who is willing to flat out say, "hey, I got beat, he/she rode better than me". Not a fan of the excuses."

Tornado
May 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Someone that can get along with everybody at the track. This person can take first or last and still has a smile on there face because they love the sport and the people involved. :D :D

davy4575
May 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well, coming from a noobs perspective. Some people have ability, theyre just naturally gifted or blessed with an innate knowledge, some have skills, developed over time, and most have some of both. I find that racers who are approachable and genuinely care about us new people being sucessful, irrelevant of their abilities are probably the best racers per say, becuase they are an ambassador for the sport, and keep it going. Luckilly, without fail, the racers I have met have been very helpful and easygoing, very supportive, even when stressed.

glenngsxr
May 7th, 2010, 06:55 AM
So Clarkie,
I think we all have this image of what makes you a great racer. I am curious as to how you view yourself. What do you think makes you a great racer, and you are so don't be modest?

Glenn #62

Clarkie
May 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
LOL this was never about me or anyone else in particular, just conversation. Trying to get people to think if they want to be known as a good racer or a great racer, and how to go about it :)

rforsythe
May 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Another one is the racer who is willing to flat out say, "hey, I got beat, he/she rode better than me". Not a fan of the excuses.

I agree, though don't mistake excuses for analysis. I like the ones that can say "that racer beat me, but here's why" and use that as a way to improve their own skill. I think constantly learning from those who've done it better than you is a good trait to have.

sheispoison
May 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
If you want to be a great racer, I got one word on who to model yourself after... Brownie. The guys has everything mentioned so far. He's helped me out more times in my couple years of racing than I can count. The Brown shirts say it all.
carl

R1-2NV
May 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow cool thread. I think that one of the best traits
of a racer is pure love for the sport and the people involved.
A great racer is someone that loves to race yet wants for everyone to
have a blast. Bart comes to mind. He has allways taken time
for me over the years with alot of bone head questions and what not.
It seems to me he likes all aspects of racing. There are many who
fit this model but he came to mind

Waiting for smart ass comment from Bart. LOL.

Throttleroller277
May 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
If you want to be a great racer, I got one word on who to model yourself after... Brownie. The guys has everything mentioned so far. He's helped me out more times in my couple years of racing than I can count. The Brown shirts say it all.
carl

Wow..... Thanks Carl. Much Appreciated! i am rather speechless at that.... I just want to see that everyone has a good time, like to share my knowledge and past experiences to help make other's experiences great as well, and hopefully improve their skills and love for the sport along the way.

I have been watching this thread the last day or so, and every time I go to post something up, someone else beat me to it.

Great topic King Clarkie......... and thanks again Carl

~Brownie 8)

GSXRScott
May 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone who's willing to scrap a little regardless of what level they're at. By scrap I mean someone who, if they get passed is then willing to put a pass right back on the guy/gal that passed em in the very next corner.

HAMMER
May 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
carl

:D :D

Moto-Mania
May 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Great question posed by a great racer.

At first blush, this almost seems to fall into the category of “I’m not sure, but I’ll know one when I see one.” But after a little further reflection, I don’t think the answer is nearly so murky.

To put things in perspective, I would first suggest that any guy or gal who makes the physical, mental, and financial commitment to grid up and go already has one foot across the threshold of greatness. But, the vast majority of us don’t have the talent or resources to make it all the way through.

Those that do appear to have two important characteristics in common - two pillars of true greatness you might say.

1. Achievement. Great racers must first have achieved a level of success the rest of us aspire to.
2. Positive Influence on Others. To be considered truly great, a racer must also radiate his or her greatness on the mass of other racers through words and deeds that define, lead, inspire, and motivate.

Based on that definition, I think we are fortunate to have a number of great racers in our organization – some of whom are no longer active racers.

qwiksilver119
May 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Respect for the sport and respect for your fellow racers.

Bartman
May 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
In light of certain developments I will throw one attribute out and I think its a important one and its already been mentioned here.

The ability to get beat and take it like a man/woman, and thats if you were out rode or out bought or whatever. We for the moment don't live in a world where everything is equal and thank god for that. The point of racing is to find the exceptional not the medeocre.

chris nami
May 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM
of all the "true" racers I have looked up to over the years one phrase sums it all up..." giving up is not an option."

cromer611
May 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
huge Ironclad balls

sikwitit
May 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Shit, S.T. has no idea who I am and wheeled over on his wheelchair to tell me that my chain was to tight. He then got up, slowly walked over to my bike, got on his knees and showed me a great way on how to adjust it. He was then waiting for me to get back from doing some laps to see how it was. He's a great man and racer who obviously cares about others. To me that is a great racer. The utmost respect for that man