PDA

View Full Version : First Race "report"

motolitho
May 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wednesday night rolled around and I was seriously considering my options. I was nervous already- let alone trying to ride in the rain. To compound my struggle- I knew I had to install my new gearing so I did not have to drop into 1st anymore. A lot to tackle for someone who has no idea how to use a chain tool- or even have one. So- I decided to wait until Saturday morning to sign up. Thursday I found a guy to loan a tool to me (even though it was from like 1950 or something)- I made it work and got the work done. Weather is looking up. Butterflies engage. Friday- loaded the trailer, remembered bananas (thanks Joe). No sleep that night. 4:30 am DING, time to roll out and start the drive to HPR. Moon was out- it was a good sign. Pulled into the lot and found my pit mates, and started to unload. Just then I realized I could not find my license. Thanks for letting me through Scott- pre-grid went well. Tech- no problems... need to add wire to the hoses- easy. Thanks Bart. Riders meeting was over and they quickly announced the track was hot for Nov. combined. Note to self... come to the meeting Sat morn w/ gear ON. Practice went off fine- new gearing was a BIG DEAL. Lunch break, too long to wait. More pacing. First call... rolled out for my position on the grid- last (I was the first one there :oops: ). Sighting lap... fine. Try not to barf in helmet or pass out. On the grid... everything went into slomo carcrash mode. Hands up, hands down- go.

I want to thank everyone that has helped me get here:
Crash- you may not remember me- but I almost bought your gixxer last year. I will have to shake your hand at the next race for the chats in your garage about how fun and accessible this is.
Joe Legalbo- great advice and reminding me to breath on the grid.
Bart and Ian at Faster for the tips on how to pass tech for an idiot.
Scott R. for hooking me at the Chicane Days and R2SL.
VanMar for talking tires with me
Jon Fifield for just being a cool guy to pit next to and being genuinely concerned.

I will see you all at Pikes. I'm in.

Chris Burford
Rebellion Motorsports

phildrummond
May 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
That was awesome! Aside from the chain tool, that sums up my first race. My goals that first day were similar:

1. Don't puke on pre-grid
2. Don't poop leathers on the start
3. Don't come in dead last

Still pretty much the same goals I have...

racedk6
May 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
To this day, I still get the "Im nervous and gonna puke or crap myself before the race" feeling. lol

Once you get the first race of the day out of the way everything else is a breeze! 8)

Desmodromico
May 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
No matter how many times I go before the race I still feel like I am going to pee in my leathers on the grid....after a couple laps it goes away, if anyone noticed my bike leaking any fluids let me know...

nwatkins176
May 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Chris you did great out there for your first time. Sorry I was little occupied, but it seems you got everything figured out. Good job. See you at pikes.

peteyt328
May 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Ya I'd have to agree, I get the butterflies before every race. As soon as the race starts its gone. It's just the waiting around before the race, pre-grid, then final grid that gets to me.

loujr
May 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
That was awesome! Aside from the chain tool, that sums up my first race. My goals that first day were similar:

1. Don't puke on pre-grid
2. Don't poop leathers on the start
3. Don't come in dead last

Still pretty much the same goals I have...

do those goals ever change??? :oops: :oops:

Bartman
May 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
After a while the poop and puke thing did go away for me but everyone is different, my brother can't sleep the night before a race and I can't sleep after.
My goal for the last few years has been very simple, HAVE FUN nothing else matters to me. I don't care if I am winning or fighting over last place, what matters is the battle.
Oh and Chris that is some good feedback and prolly real damn close to what we all feel and go through our first couple of races. If you don't have a certain amount of abject terror something is prolly wrong with you. :lol: