PDA

View Full Version : re-gearing chain question

motolitho
April 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I am switching the gearing on my gixxer and going to a 520 chain. In the past, I have cut the chain off and used the master link to put the new chain on. Can you run removable master links in the MRA? Do I need to go buy a chain tool?

dragos13
April 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I am switching the gearing on my gixxer and going to a 520 chain. In the past, I have cut the chain off and used the master link to put the new chain on. Can you run removable master links in the MRA? Do I need to go buy a chain tool?

Can you run the clip type master: YES

Should you run the clip type master: I personally wouldn't.

If you need a chain tool, you can usually find someone in the pits that has one you can borrow. Or head to your local motorcycle store (I suggest Vickery) and purchase one.

Not going to say that people don't successful run a clip type master, I just don't like the risk.

JimWilson29
April 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Chain tool is great to have. Just dont let anyone borrow it. Most dont know how to use them and they come back broken. :) I have this one and it does it all - http://www.amazon.com/RK-CHAIN-CUTTER-RIVET-TOOL/dp/B000GZOI48

motolitho
April 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Jim and Casey. I will go buy a chain tool.

-Chris

Clarkie
April 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Or use a clip link, loop safety wire around the outer plate and clip, then silicon over it. It's how we wired GP bikes and the Aprilia Cup bikes. I chain tool is a great investment as well, safety wire and silicon is just cheaper

motolitho
April 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I found a chain tool to borrow but have no idea how to use it. :oops: I have the new sprockets on and the chain cut to the correct length- now the fun part- the new chain does not come with a master link, just a link that needs to have the pins rolled or flared. The new plate is not easily slid over the pins- so I am assuming that I will need to use the tool to press it on (then use the punch to roll the pins?)? I'm an idiot.

JimWilson29
April 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
If you are at the track tonight or tomorrow morning I can help you with it.

motolitho
April 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks!

N1K
May 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Can I put a rear sprocket one or two teeth bigger without changing my chain?? Its a 520 with a 49 on the rear now.

racedk6
May 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Can I put a rear sprocket one or two teeth bigger without changing my chain?? Its a 520 with a 49 on the rear now.

Depends on how much room you have to adjust.