PDA

View Full Version : Transponder mounting question

joe859
April 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Here's one for Chris Dale:

The AMB instructions say the transponder should be mounted vertically (post up), with no metal or carbon fiber between the bottom and the ground. I'm assuming here that this is for those tracks that have a sensor loop embedded in the track. Where is our sensor located, if not in the track, and would it be better to have the transponder mounted flat, facing toward the sensor (antenna), like we orient our lap timer "eyes"?

dragos13
April 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I run my transponder on my fork leg, left hand side between my upper and lower triple.

Never had a problem with it there...

http://erickb.free.fr/Images/strike/L_rapide.jpg

Hope that helps :)

joe859
April 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks Casey, I've been running mine like that since we changed the rules. I haven't had a problem, either. I'm just looking for alternative mounting positions, or orientation. Also, trying to see if there's an optimal orientation. Then too, I'm using a Harris fairing stay, which has fork stops integrated that contact the inside of the fork legs. There's a slight chance that the transponder could get caught between the stop and the leg and get crushed when maneuvering around the pits.

T Baggins
April 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I actually mount mine on the top of the TOP triple clamp.

Probably not super protected in a crash, but easy to get to and won't get bound between the frame and fork leg.

cromer611
April 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I use zip ties then wrap in with duct tape. cuz even if its zip tied it can get bound up if it spins

Scored51
April 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Casey's pic is actually optimal with the "tab" end pointing towards the pavement. However, it is much better to have them away from the danger of being pinched if your setup creates the concern. It will most likely cause an incident for you, and will most likely damage the transponder as it will have the same effect as placing the little red box in a vice.

The big stipulation is that you need to have it mounted less than 4 feet off the pavement. This is the extent of the transmitting range. So unless you're riding a super tall motard, or want to stick it in your leathers pocket, you should be good to go. I've seen them mounted to fairing brackets, on the underside of the instrument cluster, and on triple clamps. Just be sure to check practice times. That is the litmus test.