PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Clutch?

Louden
April 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
At the race school I noticed my bike (Honda RC51) was abnormally jumpy off the line, so much so I couldn't really control my launch because it was so unpredictable when the clutch would engage. This problem is not nearly as present when the bike is cold, but just a couple laps and its very noticeable. I haven't actually torn the bike apart to see if the clutch is actually worn out, but I figure the bike has over 16,000 miles on it and therefore clutch must be the issue. So now that you know the history, can someone please answer the following: Is my choice of oil (10W40 Mobil 1 synthetic) causing the issue? If I decide to replace the clutch is it worth replacing all the plates and springs, or just the friction plates? Is there any affordable, complete, and recommend aftermarket clutch kits that would be better than OEM? I don't know of anything else to ask, but any reliable information is very much appreciated.

Bartman
April 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Stay with the stock plates, but if memory serves it has a hydraulic clutch and it will not be a good launching clutch no matter what you do, just try to find the best launch RPM and live with it. Generally lower RPMs on a twin works better but you need to find a RPM that works for you.
Also try a old drag racer trick, run the bike with the clutch pulled in and lean it over to the right. It will soak the plates and let it slip better.

Clarkie
April 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
If the clutch is grabby, my bet is either warped steels or high spots on them. Bart is right, on a twin keep the rpms low rather than high. On my Aprilia I used to do street bike starts with the rpm's no higher than 3,000rpm.

I got a few holeshots now and again :)

bluedevil
April 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
If you replace the clutch (which t sounds like its due) Im gonna ditto the OEM clutch. Aftermarket just doesnt seem to hold up as well.

Bartman
April 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
If the clutch is grabby, my bet is either warped steels or high spots on them. Bart is right, on a twin keep the rpms low rather than high. On my Aprilia I used to do street bike starts with the rpm's no higher than 3,000rpm.

I got a few holeshots now and again :)

You seemed to have gotten holeshots on most of the bikes you rode, pretty sure you were cheating somehow. :lol:

Clarkie
April 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Bart I even pulled a holeshot on my RS250 GP bike at the Australian Road Racing Championships in 99 at Phillip Island from the 3rd row in only my 2nd year of racing (same year i got a wildcard to the Australian GP). Of course everyone laughed at me the way I used to ride a GP bike with an elbows out MX style :D

People used to come up to me and say "you can back a 250GP bike into the corners like that" my answer was, "why not?" and no one ever gave me a good answer so i kept doing it :wink:

Of course Rossi just shook his head at me lol :D

Louden
April 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice I've decided to replace all my steel plates and friction plates with OEM. But one last question. Should I replace the clutch springs sense I'm already in there?

rybo
April 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Louden,

The springs are pretty cheap, so I would say why not?

S

p.s. Rossi laughs at my riding style too Clarkie...