PDA

View Full Version : Better start looking for rains

vort3xr6
April 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCO0050

My first race ever and it could be in the rain...

:x ](*,)

T Baggins
April 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
aaaaah rain... the great equalizer. :wink:

Racing in the rain is a mental game, no easier or harder than racing in the dry really - just "different". personally I love racing in the rain, but then again I've always got a set of rains on hand...

Jon
April 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Although not fun for you, could be the best experience that you could ask for. Just remember to be smooth, do your braking, turning, accelerating as if the bike is a knob and not a switch. The speed will be quite a bit slower and remember there's more than one lap in a race. Your not the only one out there and the people around you will be as unexperienced at it as you are. The best advice I can give you is the advice I just did just remember your bike a knob not a switch, The race is several laps long and you'll have plenty of dry racing in the months to come. Best of luck and see you at the track!

dragos13
April 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I love the rain, even on rain tires. Just not very good at it :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFW7EuL2JVo

Like Jon said, be SMOOTH on brakes and throttle.

KFinn
April 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
i really hope it doesn't rain on the first race. I don't foresee the cash flow coming in for rain tires before now and then. And I don't think race slicks handle all that well in the rain. hehe

toptier
April 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I actually have a set of Pirelli Rains (120/180) that have 1 warm-up lap on them that I still need to sell.

JimWilson29
April 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
Kiyonari qualifying in the rain couple years ago at Donington Park - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycZk1M7g24

Desmodromico
April 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
It's Colorado, give it a few days and forecast will be clear...

Crossing my fingers :shock:

NossLou
April 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yo Jon... sent you a Pm on them pirelli water grippers... let me know

oldtimer
April 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Since my last race was a torrential downpour I'm feeling pretty ok about rain. 8)

clowe
April 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Wyeth,

What are you talking about, it was hardly raining at Barber! I thought is was normal to go lock to lock while going in a straight line. I love calf deep puddles!!

oldtimer
April 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've never ridden in anything like that, it was trial by fire....er, water.

Jon
April 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
If you want some fun try Mid Ohio or better yet Daytona in the rain!

bluedevil
April 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Ohhh so sorry.... did I just sell a nearly new set for less than half off? Ahhhh Shucks... Procrastination sucks sucka's :wink:

loujr
April 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
It's Colorado, give it a few days and forecast will be clear...

Crossing my fingers :shock:

Just clicked the link and it already says cloudy!

oldtimer
April 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
If you want some fun try Mid Ohio or better yet Daytona in the rain!

I sat out Daytona in the rain at ROC in 2000, I was skeeeeerd! :shock:

cromer611
April 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCO0050

My first race ever and it could be in the rain...

:x ](*,)

precip % has gone down from 90% to 60% in a day, so maybe it will keep going down. but yet again, Im low on horsepower so I wont be spinning up as much as the built guys. maybe if it does rain i can keep up with all the guys with deep pockets. :twisted:

loujr
April 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
In a few short hours it went from showers on Friday and cloudy on Saturday to sunny on Friday and showers on Saturday...

vort3xr6
April 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Fack.

No good.

loujr
April 23rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Down to 40%...it's dopping! [-o<

N1K
April 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
What NOOO it will not rain it will be sunny and dry dry. real dry

cromer611
April 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
either way, rain or dry, I cant freakin wait anymore

PersianThunder
April 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
20% chance on saturday... happy thoughts happy thoughts

vort3xr6
April 23rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Showing mostly sunny for both days! LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY!!!!

clee32
April 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Its Colorado the weather can change in 5 min just come prepared for anything. Really last year I was sure we almost got wiped out by a tornado. Just relax and have fun there is enough to worry about without panicking about mother nature.

loujr
April 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Yeah what he said! Hurry and get here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tornado
April 24th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I have a new set of 16.5 Michelin rains!!!! Call or pm me. I will bring them with me.

Desmodromico
April 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Ok 30% chance of rain showing at this point, going to hope for dry track...really not wanting to buy a set of rains already, has anyone run street tires in the rain? Any comments on those versus DOT races?

Motodrew
April 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah what he said! Hurry and get here!!!!!!!!!!!!

+10. These upcoming nights are going to be worse than Christmas Eve when I was a youngster!

rybo
April 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I ran street tires AS my rains for a number of years. PP2CT they worked well. I would say considerably better than a race DOT, and not nearly as good as a full rain.

s

cromer611
April 24th, 2010, 11:00 PM
regular pilot powers work for semi rains.... not quite dry enough for dots/slicks, but not wet enough for rains.

random hero
April 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
for those Michelin guys... what would you recommend if you can't for out $400+ for rains?

rybo
April 25th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Pilot Power 2CT's work OK in the rain.

If you can borrow a tire groover and have someone show you how to use it (this is hard work, but doesn't really cost you anything but time) you can cut more grooves into them and make them work better in the rain.

You won't set any lap records on them, but like Erik said, one nice thing about them is that if the weather changes mid race, or a dry line starts appearing they remain OK instead of going to sh*t in a hurry like a full rain tire does.

Since I have a streetbike that is just like my race bike I used to just grab the wheels off of it on race weekends.

s

PersianThunder
April 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I have this nasty feeling im going to try and groove tires and its going to look like a 5 year old did it....

Vanmar Racing
April 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Free grooving lessons at the Vanmar Racing Pit.
So easy...even a 5 year old can do it !!!

N1K
April 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Can we grove dots or should I get a set of streets??

dragos13
April 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Groove DOT's

cromer611
April 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Can we grove dots or should I get a set of streets??

yes : )

if you grove race Dots the compound would be softer than the street dots.

N1K
April 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM
cool. Now how much will the wet cool the tire off and and more likely me not pushing as hard can I keep temp in them? If not will a cold dot be better then a street? I'm still thinking yeah but I'm not sure so I'd figure I'd ask. Never been in the wet before on the track.

cromer611
April 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
well, we arent in Portugal so when it rains its pretty cold at the same time. So im pretty sure even if you put warmers on it might keep the wheel/core warm. As soon as you go out on the warmup lap, your tires will get cooler.

just be sure to do all your major braking straight up and down. and remind yourself to keep a slow right hand. cant win a race if ya crash

Motodrew
April 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Dear Mother Nature,

Could we please swap Tues/Wed predicted weather for Sat/Sun?

Thanks.

Your green son,

drew

P.S. I go out of my way to find a recycle bin.

cromer611
April 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM
boulder is that way hippie ----->
..... i grew up in boulder :oops:

NossLou
April 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have this nasty feeling im going to try and groove tires and its going to look like a 5 year old did it....

Wish I had that set of D211's I grooved last year...never thought I'd regret selling those for 50 bucks...now I wish I had them for you....thundering Persian!

I can give you a hand with grooving.... mine almost looked a 6yo did them ;)

Desmodromico
April 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I picked up a set of used rains and the forecast dropped from 60% chance to 30%.....if everyone would just buy rain tires we will surely have a dry race.

On a side note, IF it rains what does everyone prefer to wear over their leathers to keep dry and make a fashion statement?

T Baggins
April 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
On a side note, IF it rains what does everyone prefer to wear over their leathers to keep dry and make a fashion statement?

Really anything short of "real" racing rain suits become a distraction - or worse yet just disintegrate. Most of the off the shelf stuff isn't designed to do 130mph.

It's just water... and your leathers probably stink already anyway - I'd suggest you slather yourself up with "tide" before you go out and get you a nice 100mph bubble bath!

PersianThunder
April 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Nik... its going to be sat morning grooving time in our pit :) id love the help

and... im thinking of wearing sweats over my leathers... so i look like i dont have leathers on... schweeeeet

vort3xr6
April 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Really anything short of "real" racing rain suits become a distraction - or worse yet just disintegrate. Most of the off the shelf stuff isn't designed to do 130mph.

It's just water... and your leathers probably stink already anyway - I'd suggest you slather yourself up with "tide" before you go out and get you a nice 100mph bubble bath!

lol

I was going to ask bart if I can fab a set of denim jeans so the pucks stick out and a wear a hoody.

Munch
April 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking Duck tape and trashbags, eh?

Desmodromico
April 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm more worried about hypothermia if it is 40 degrees and raining with a perforated suit on, I happily bask in my stink.

I saw Taichi makes one but their stuff all seems to be made for the waifish types which excludes me, anyone else have experience with rain gear?

loujr
April 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
How bad could a "few showers" be anyway?

peteyt328
April 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM
If you have have a windbreaker jacket thats not super loose, that would probably work for a lap or two. Otherwise just throw on a hoody and suck it up, you prob won't notice if your a little damp once your splashing around out there.

cromer611
April 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I picked up a set of used rains and the forecast dropped from 60% chance to 30%.....if everyone would just buy rain tires we will surely have a dry race.

i bought a taichi rain suit from Faster two years back.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5545
this guy does a bunch of video reviews on all types of suits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmRsfjRrwGQ

rforsythe
April 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Rain riding/racing is *awesome*! Spend even a little time out east and you'll understand why they all look at us a little weird when us highlanders start wigging out about a wet track - they get a lot of it there. Of course it didn't hurt to have Jason DiSalvo as my personal coach for the afternoon giving me pointers, but a day of wet riding at VIR got me over it pretty quickly.

Just ride smooth - as smooth as you have ever gone or can go - there is no way to overstate the importance of this one factor above all others on a truly wet track. Complete your braking before you tip in (trail braking is not your friend in a reduced-traction setting, especially if you're new to this) and get the bike mostly picked back up before you get back on the gas. Basically you are trying to avoid any major traction shifts while leaned over, and cause any change of lean angle to happen as fluidly as possible. Relax your body, and get into a rhythm. I wouldn't worry a great deal about hypothermia since you will be very active the whole time and generating a lot of body heat, but a tight-fitting thickish windbreaker will help. For me, a normally semi-loose fitting jacket translates to a perfect fit over leathers.

Very important - figure out some way to keep your visor from fogging up, especially as the temp hovers around 35-45 as it will be in the mornings this weekend. I learned that the hard way at Pikes, as I would have to run half the track with my visor cracked just to see, and the other half with it fogged because the rain hitting my eyes at 100+mph really sucked. Some visors have a liner you can apply, anti-fog stuff works, rubbing some dish soap into it until it's completely clear again works, some helmets are even engineered to de-fog by way of airflow. Figure out what works for you. You'll go a lot faster when you can actually see where in the hell you're going.

I'm working the bus this weekend instead of racing, so if you really get hypothermic come see us. And listen to everyone in this thread who's been in the rain telling you to be smooth so we don't have to come see you. :wink:

Ride fast, ride safe!

N1K
April 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
So do you guys have a hot knife tire grover tool for this or something ?? I've seen the world of outlaw guys on tv using umm to groove tires is this the same tool?

Bartman
April 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
We have the RS rain suits all the way up to 5L, so chances are unless you are a giant we have what you need.

kitten
April 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Do you have any rs suits in stock?

random hero
April 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
We have the RS rain suits all the way up to 5L, so chances are unless you are a giant we have what you need.

Will you have them there at the track for sale?

random hero
April 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Weather.com is weirding me out.... when I click "weekend" weather, it shows 50's and rainy. When I click the actual day, it's showing 60's and clear.......

Weekend Forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USCO0050

Actual Saturday Forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USCO0050?dayNum=4&

peteyt328
April 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The Saturday link says high 53 and few showers for me.....

vort3xr6
April 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Weather underground seems to have better accuracy.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=byers,%20co&wuSelect=WEATHER

That and the NOAA national weather service site are real good.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.73649828746432&lon=-103.89890670776367&site=bou&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

random hero
April 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
SNOW.... are you s**ting me!!! come on, if it's going to be this cold I'm renting a damn RV to stay in, my uninsulated box trailer will be a freezer in this weather!

R1-2NV
April 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
This brings up another issue. Is it to cold to keep my bike in the
trailer at night with just water in the engine???

I would be sick if it froze.

rforsythe
April 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Right now NOAA lists the nighttime low at 34, so no. It would really need to get colder than freezing for your bike to lose enough latent heat that it'd be an issue. You can also just run the bike up to operating temp before you go nighty-night and it will retain quite a bit of heat for a while, especially in a trailer.

Tornado
April 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I have 3 sets of new 16.5 rains and 2 used sets of 17 rains. I am bringing them to the track. Lets make a deal :lol: :lol:

TRK
April 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
:shock:

Blue Junk
April 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
If there is such a need for rains, I have about 11 sets that I can bring with me. I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

All sets are 17", 2 sets of 160's, 6 sets of 180's and 3 sets of 190's.

random hero
April 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Judging from the forecast.. I'd bring all the rains you have. Sunday's rain chances are now increasing, showing thunderstorms now... You could make some serious $$$

JimWilson29
April 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Used 16.5 rains for $100 - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=63057#63057

dragos13
April 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I have 3 sets of new 16.5 rains and 2 used sets of 17 rains. I am bringing them to the track. Lets make a deal :lol: :lol:

PM sent :)

Desmodromico
April 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
How many electric blankets can you run off a 2000 watt generator?

cromer611
April 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
How many electric blankets can you run off a 2000 watt generator?

most warmers are 1200watts for a set.

Desmodromico
April 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe I could run my warmers on my legs and an electric blanket for my torso....sleeping at the track is looking less and less like an option.

d2dracer
April 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
The chance has gone down even more!!! Only 20% chance of rain... and it says it will be mostly cloudy instead of saying a few showers!

dragos13
April 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
The chance of rain is directly related to the number of racers who have rain tires. So, if everyone in the club picks up a set then it will be 75 degrees and sunny all weekend...

8)

Plus, what better way to start off the season then with a wet track and a bunch of rusty racers lol.

Timmay!
April 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Not one drop of rain will fall.

vort3xr6
April 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
It seems that the storm may fizzle out in denver and not really reach out east. Sunday has a worse chance than Saturday tho.

peteyt328
April 29th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Shhhhh! Don't jinx it!

rforsythe
April 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The chance of rain is directly related to the number of racers who have rain tires. So, if everyone in the club picks up a set then it will be 75 degrees and sunny all weekend...

8)

Plus, what better way to start off the season then with a wet track and a bunch of rusty racers lol.

Can't be any worse than PMP in the snow a few years ago.