PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing kickstand switch?

CaneZach
April 9th, 2010, 12:55 AM
In preparation for Saturday, I was finishing up my bike (K3 GSXR750). I removed the kickstand and knew I would have to bypass the safety switch. I can see the relay under the gas tank and I know I can disconnect the switch and splice the wires running from the relay together, but I'll be darned if it's not like I'm trying to cram a size ten foot into a size five shoe. I just can't seem to find the room to work in there!!! Is there any way to bypass the switch that doesn't involve removing the entire gas tank?

Sol Performance
April 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I don't know what wires they are or what it looks like but instead of cutting and joining the wires, is there a way to put a paper clip or another wire between the pins on the relay that those wires go to??

Hope you got what I mean and it's possible. ??

Also, instead of working under the tank, can you work with the switch towards the bottom of the bike where the kick stand was?

Good luck!!

Oscar

rybo
April 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Zach,

Taking the tank off really isn't that big of a deal, it should only be a few bolts and you should be able to tilt it up enough to work under it.

Oscar's suggestion is a good one, you can make a jumper using the plug and a piece of wire instead of cutting and splicing. If you go the jumper route I strongly suggest using the stock plug and not a paper clip or the likes as if it falls out on track you're pretty well screwed.

I've never done this on a GSXR, but know that on the R6 the same thing had to be done and I just made the jumper. The location on the R6 was under the seat.

See you tonight!

Scott

CaneZach
April 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I don't know what wires they are or what it looks like but instead of cutting and joining the wires, is there a way to put a paper clip or another wire between the pins on the relay that those wires go to??

Hope you got what I mean and it's possible. ??

Also, instead of working under the tank, can you work with the switch towards the bottom of the bike where the kick stand was?

Good luck!!

Oscar

The only problem with trying to put a paper clip or something in the relay is that I'm still having to work under the tank.

As far as working at the bottom of the bike, I have no idea if I can just work with the wires leading from the relay to the actual switch. If so, that wouldn't be bad at all.

dragos13
April 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Can you disconnect the plug right at the kickstand where it connects to the sensor? Maybe you can just cut and splice the wires there. If this is a full time track bike, cut the wires and solder together. Should be all good.

JimWilson29
April 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have a plug for the suzuki harness that already loops that you can put on to eliminate the switch. It takes 2 minutes to do.

Sol Performance
April 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
That Jim guy is alright.. :P

Otherwise, I will try to bring some wire and a solder gun in case something similar happens to someone else at the track.

See you guys tomorrow!

CaneZach
April 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have a plug for the suzuki harness that already loops that you can put on to eliminate the switch. It takes 2 minutes to do.

Awesome! Jim, will you be at the school tonight? How much for the plug so I can bring some cash with me? Thanks!

Bartman
April 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you want you can also bring down your switch and I can make you a loop plug during the school.

JimWilson29
April 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Awesome! Jim, will you be at the school tonight? How much for the plug so I can bring some cash with me? Thanks!

You can have it. I'll look for it this afternoon and bring it tonight.

CaneZach
April 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Jim, many thanks! I'll see you tonight.

And thanks to everyone who took the time to answer. All the replies are greatly appreciated!

eklew
April 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
CaneZach, if I think your bike is the bike that I think you bought from a local racer, then it should already have the switch bypassed. If it is not the bike, then I will just shut up but can still help you bypass it if needed.

CaneZach
April 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
CaneZach, if I think your bike is the bike that I think you bought from a local racer, then it should already have the switch bypassed. If it is not the bike, then I will just shut up but can still help you bypass it if needed.

Elden, it's not the bike you're thinking of. This was my street bike before t became my racebike. Jim hooked me up with a plug to bypass the switch.