PDA

View Full Version : CF bodywork Legal....

NossLou
March 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Carbon Bodywork.... I could not find anything in the rulebook where I looked that says this is not legal. I understand a CF tank would not be something to even think of however due to safety issues in a spill. Can someone straighten me out here????

I have seen bikes with CF R+F fenders, undertails, and heel guards let alone other bling things, but I can not find a listing against full CF racebodywork in the rulebook. I mean safety wise, what is the difference between CF bits on bike and CF as bodywork?

I have asked a ton of others and they said they have never heard of it being against the rules.

Only reason I ask is I got a OPP set from a fellow for a cost cheaper than new sharkskins bodywork...

Bart can you chime in???

Much appreciated

Nik

rybo
March 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's totally legal as long as the belly pan has the capacity to hold 3 liters of fluid without dumping it on the track.

The material is irrelevant, the mounting and fluid capacity is.

Nice find!

s

racedk6
March 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Explain please:

j. Body parts and fairing (not including fuel tank).
1. Size and dimensions must be the same as the original parts.
2. Construction must be of plastic or fiberglass composites, but
not other fiber composites such as carbon or aramid fiber.

Straight from the 2010 rule book.

Nik Im not trying to bust your balls or anything but I dont want you to get protested over something like this.

This is for Super Sport rules as far as I can tell. But it might apply to all classes.

Scored51
March 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
However, it has been the experience of this club that transponders will not transmit through carbon fiber bodywork. Therefore you may have an issue to ensure the mounting complies with the rules and works on the track.

oldtimer
March 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Explain please:

Nik Im not trying to bust your balls or anything but I dont want you to get protested over something like this.

This is for Super Sport rules as far as I can tell. But it might apply to all classes.

Maybe just applies to SuperSport. Tell Nikolas to look out so his carbon fiber goodness doesn't get claimed! :shock:

oldtimer
March 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Speaking of claiming, Grubbs are you going to run zoot wheels in Supersport? Cuz I was thinking I wouldn't buy new ones if yours are available for claiming. 8)

rybo
March 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Explain please:

Grubbs,

These rules are specific to the Supersport class. In Superbike classes (includes novice, amateur and endurance classes) the style of the bodywork is not bound by the rules.

Scott

The GECCO
March 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Explain please:

This applies to SS classes only, so it depends on what classes Nik intends to enter.

rybo
March 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Speaking of claiming, Grubbs are you going to run zoot wheels in Supersport? Cuz I was thinking I wouldn't buy new ones if yours are available for claiming. 8)

Hmmmm....I hope he isn't planning on running zoot wheels in supersport as that would mean he would likely get disqualified.

As far as I know the only parts that are "claimable" are listed in the rulebook:

ECU
Tires
Exhaust

Maybe someone should write a rule change suggestion to change that for 2011.

oldtimer
March 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hmmmm....I hope he isn't planning on running zoot wheels in supersport as that would mean he would likely get disqualified.

ZOMG! :shock:

DQ'd is totally unreasonable and cruel to Grubbs!!! I was thinking more like let him keep his points and I claim the wheels for $1. Much more fair and I dont have to buy new wheels. win-win O:)

NossLou
March 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Explain please:

I appreciate it Steve that's what I was looking for... I fail to follow at #3 on that list since its made out of CF and I will run my current bodywork covered in carbon rap for SS:) In all honesty I just got a great deal on the stuff and couldn't pass it up so that's why I bought it. So according to the rulebook CF will not be allowed in SS correct?

Any other classes I should not run it in?

Participating in :

AMU
AMO
MWSB
MWSS
MW Endurance.

Any other opinions? I appreciate all your replies and was just curious since I didn't want it to bust my nuts after a race....

On another note I could care less about the weight shaving... I could go rexy if I was hardcore on getting skinny :twisted: it looks neat to me... :twisted: that is all... bodywork isn't going to make me any faster:idea: Glad I checked with you all first and the heads up was worth it!

Thanks again

Nik

NossLou
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 PM
The heads up on the CF and transponder transmitting has me wondering...I have a pouch high up on my forks well out of the way of any interference with the signal hitting the receiver...Although thats an interesting point.... I guess I can put the damn thing in my chest pocket if I need to...yeah my suit is old and has one :D

guess I'll find out first day of practice!

rybo
March 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM
As long as the bodywork retains the stock dimensions and size it would be legal.

If it's a superbike tail section (has foam glued on instead of using the stock seat) that would not be legal in SS.

Other than that, it would most likely be fine. just paint it the stock color and life is good!

:)

cromer611
March 18th, 2010, 01:32 AM
damn! that crushed my dreams of ever making bodywork out of duct tape : (

rybo
March 18th, 2010, 06:09 AM
damn! that crushed my dreams of ever making bodywork out of duct tape : (

Erik,

I'm pretty sure this has already been done. Look around the pits, I'm sure you'll find some very cool duct tape composites. Be careful though, looks can be deceiving. There are some "faux duct tape" stickers out there that look JUST LIKE the real thing!

s

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Nope got my stock wheels for super sport :twisted:

NossLou
March 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
As long as the bodywork retains the stock dimensions and size it would be legal.

If it's a superbike tail section (has foam glued on instead of using the stock seat) that would not be legal in SS.

Other than that, it would most likely be fine. just paint it the stock color and life is good!

:)

It is not legal for Super Sport though...correct? I guess I can give Bart a call today and ask him. its the same size dimensions everywhere and utilizes the stock seat...looks just like my sharkskinz bodywork just made out of CF...that is all.

Quick question.... is traction control legal in SS?

dragos13
March 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
No carbon fiber bodywork for Supersport.

I'll double check on the traction control...

dragos13
March 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I would have to say no to the traction control.

The rulebook states you CAN replace wire harness and ECU (kit ECU), alter ignition timing and add quick shifter, however it doesn't state anywhere that a traction control unit can be added.

oldtimer
March 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM

The rulebook states you CAN replace wire harness and ECU (kit ECU), alter ignition timing and add quick shifter, however it doesn't state anywhere that a traction control unit can be added.

doh!

Ray-Ray
March 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Casey,

I allowed it the last 2 years. The traction control is just an extension of the ECU just like the power commander and quick shifter.

dragos13
March 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
CORRECTION:

Traction control that is considered an add-on to the ECU would be allowed. Units that require additonal front and rear sensors would NOT be allowed.

Bartman
March 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, spring is here and I am swamped, anyway a couple of clarifications.
Scotty the superbike tail sections are legal for supersport as most do maintain the stock profile but do it with fiberglass and foam instead of a seat.
Traction control is defined as needing wheel sensors to determine wheel spin. Bazzaz and others don't use wheel sensors and so are antispin not proper traction control and therefore legal.
Carbon anything is legal except in supersport. So go nut with the CF if you have the funds.
Bartman

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM

doh!

Hahaha I have a feeling that was towards me ;)

oldtimer
March 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Thank goodness Grubbs!! :lol:

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Thank goodness Grubbs!! :lol:

Hahah I read most of the rulebook concerning SS. It also states that at the beginning of every SS race grubbs is given a 45 sec head start 8)

Bartman
March 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Grubs you better look again, it says you will be held for 45 seconds after the start.
:twisted:
After a talk with the VP MR Rybo we have decided to also make you start from the hot pit as well.

oldtimer
March 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hahah I read most of the rulebook concerning SS. It also states that at the beginning of every SS race grubbs is given a 45 sec head start 8)

Based on this thread I def need to read the SS rules again. I could've sworn that girls are given a head start, because their brains are smaller.

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Grubs you better look again, it says you will be held for 45 seconds after the start.

Bart then we are gonna hide a NOS setup on my bike!

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Based on this thread I def need to read the SS rules again. I could've sworn that girls are given a head start, because their brains are smaller.

I thought it would be because boobs cause more drag :shock:

Bartman
March 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Bart then we are gonna hide a NOS setup on my bike!

I can totaly make it happen Grubsy, as a matter of fact I just finished putting NOS on a MRA bike. Can't tell you which one you will have to look for yourself. :D

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
After a talk with the VP MR Rybo we have decided to also make you start from the hot pit as well.

Starting from hot pit saves the me the mass chaos going in to T1 at HPR ;)

As long as I get to leave hot pit when the first rider exits turn one :)

NossLou
March 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I appreciate all the input one again fellas, glad I got it all clarified...and I'm glad TC is in as well....

Thanks yall

Scored51
March 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM

As noted by the picture, this has been the practice in recent history. But smaller brains or not, anyone can see it's the rest of you boobs, err novices, chasing the girl! 00--00

http://www.aandwracing.com/images/start_of_novice_gtu_cob0.jpg

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM

As noted by the picture, this has been the practice in recent history. But smaller brains or not, anyone can see it's the rest of you boobs, err novices, chasing the girl! 00--00

Well maybe boobs make some crazy vortex that gives the women an aerodynamic advantage???

Cause the events in that pic happened more then once last year.

Throttleroller277
March 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM
The heads up on the CF and transponder transmitting has me wondering...I have a pouch high up on my forks well out of the way of any interference with the signal hitting the receiver...Although thats an interesting point.... I guess I can put the damn thing in my chest pocket if I need to...yeah my suit is old and has one :D

guess I'll find out first day of practice!

Be careful with the transponders in your pocket...... I have done it, but would hate to crash on it and end up with broken ribs or chest.....

Also keep in mind that the transponder are made to transmit the signal no higher than 3' off the track (Chris could clarify?)... I had mine in my pocket early in the season last year due to "back to back" races on different bikes, and was not scored on the last lap of a race because I sat up going across the finish line, which put the transponder in my pocket too high to transmit..... 8)

oldtimer
March 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Well maybe boobs make some crazy vortex that gives the women an aerodynamic advantage???

LOL :lol:

NossLou
March 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up brownie...never knew that...I'll see after the first session if its picking up or not and then figure what to do from there.....

Throttleroller277
March 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I could've sworn that girls brains are smaller.

You said it!!.......... I'll just leave it at that.....

Now back to the Boob discussions.............THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT :lol: 8) :wink:

Scored51
March 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM

Great, now I can see what the hot topic at next year's rules meeting is going to be all about fighting over whose bra is super sport legal and whose ain't! :roll: Of course, Tech could be a cool place to be first thing in the morning on raceday. :lol: :twisted:

BTW, Jeff has it right. You're putting a solid block of plastic into the pocket of your leathers. Not even the shape of the transponder would be friendly to your body in the event of a crash. Hopefully the more common issue you'd have to worry about is the transmitting range. Although AMB says the limit is no more than 4 feet off the pavement, other factors beyond a rider's control to simply tuck in could reduce that height.

cromer611
March 21st, 2010, 03:09 AM

i wasnt : P

cromer611
March 21st, 2010, 03:11 AM

Great, now I can see what the hot topic at next year's rules meeting is going to be all about fighting over whose bra is super sport legal and whose ain't! :roll: Of course, Tech could be a cool place to be first thing in the morning on raceday. :lol: :twisted:

If i keep it up, im going to need a carbon fiber man boob bra with a carbon fiber corset for my keg.
damn beer