PDA

View Full Version : full belly pan -- will stock plastics pass tech.?

super-zhero
March 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I know that a catch pan is needed to race if your bike is not fully faired but wondering if stock fairings pass tech. as serving the same purpose? Just wondering as I need to get track plastics but dont know if I should buy someones old street set or need to get actual race plastics.

thanks
Scotty M

dragos13
March 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Get race plastics.

Stock fairings do not usually have a fully enclosed belly pan that is capable of holding 3qts.

Also, stock plastics like to explode during a crash while race bodywork (usually fiberglass) holds together and is easy to repair.

What kind of bike are we talking about?

super-zhero
March 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM
duc 749. yeah I really dont want to spend it twice and am looking at a few different sets some race, some stock. dont really know if Ill actually make a race this year but always good to prepare. Hey Casey another question, how many years is my race lic. good for without actually having been able to race yet?

thanks
Scotty M

rybo
March 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Scott,

3 years

If you do 3 races a year then it extends.

S

racedk6
March 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Scott,

3 years

If you do 3 races a year then it extends.

S

Is that individual races or event weekends

Scored51
March 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Our esteemed V.P. is talking about the rules regarding EXPERTS only. "Riders having held expert racing credentials who have not competed in a t least one event within the last three seasons will be required to attend an MRA approved riders school and race as a novice for at least six races or arrange to be evaluated be the New Rider Director and be classified as novice or expert accordingly." [4.3.D]

Unfortunately, the rule is slightly different for NOVICES [4.1.G] " "Racers having held novice racing credentials that go an entire race season without competing in at least one event will be required to attend an MRA approved rider's school or arrange to be evaluated by the New Rider Director in order to have their credentials reinstated."

Steve, I believe the question you are asking simply refers to retaining a number. That is defined as 3 race weekends.

super-zhero
March 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
So I need to take the class every other year if I ever acually have time to compete one year just to make sure I can race? funny nobody mentioned that when I was paying my dues last year LOL. Oh well, def. cant afford the school this year so maybe Ill just race the street class then.

Just to clarify though - as a novice having gotten my lic. in may of '08 I can not race this year unless I go through the class again having never raced to date.. right?

super-zhero
March 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
So I need to take the class every other year if I ever acually have time to compete one year just to make sure I can race? funny nobody mentioned that when I was paying my dues last year LOL. Oh well, def. cant afford the school this year so maybe Ill just race the street class then.

Just to clarify though - as a novice having gotten my lic. in may of '08 I can not race this year unless I go through the class again having never raced to date.. right?

dragos13
March 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM

That is correct. Here is the actual wording:

4.1(G)
Racers having held novice racing credentials that go an entire race season without competing in at least one event will be required to attend an MRA approved rider's school or arrange to be evaluated by the New Rider Director in order to have their credentials reinstated.

With the new superstreet class, you are eligible to petition for your license after completing two weekends. So, if you decide to just run superstreet but later find yourself ready to purchase your race license, you can do that with Mark's approval and do not have to take a school or class.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the superstreet class or anything else race related. I hope you can still come and join us one way or another.

:)

super-zhero
March 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM

That is correct. Here is the actual wording:

4.1(G)
Racers having held novice racing credentials that go an entire race season without competing in at least one event will be required to attend an MRA approved rider's school or arrange to be evaluated by the New Rider Director in order to have their credentials reinstated.

)

so how does one go about doing this? To be honest, im not real stoked on the super street class (kinda scares me). So how would one get ahold of Mark S. for this? Seems to me that with the MRA having participation downfalls they would cater to situations like this. Im sure im not the only person that holds a lic. with intent to race but at some point or another lack funds or time. My biggest problem with the class is how involved it has become. It now requires a lot of extra time that it did not in the past. Ill obviously do what it takes I guess if I really want to race but the MRA should implement something that would allow for noice riders to attend something less time consuming in order to keep the dream alive. :) thanks Casey!

racedk6
March 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Marks number should be in the "contact the MRA link" on the main page.

I believe the reason you have to take some sort of class again is because of the safety aspect. For somebody that has never made a race you do not know what its like to go bombing into turn one in a Novice race. Not everybody comes out at the beginning of the season crisp and on their game. Most everybody is kind of rusty. Also in the race school it is a lot of info to take in at one time and people do tend to forget things over a 2 year time period.

I am not trying to imply that you, yourself are a bad rider by any means. But safety is number one and getting a refresher on all the rules and regs wouldnt hurt.

Give Mark a call and see if he cant get out with you at a trackday and do an evaluation on your riding and what you remember from the race school.

Again we arent trying to keep you from your dream, but we want to try and keep that dream that you and a lot of other riders share as safe as possible.

I hope that makes sense

dragos13
March 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM
so how does one go about doing this? To be honest, im not real stoked on the super street class (kinda scares me). So how would one get ahold of Mark S. for this? Seems to me that with the MRA having participation downfalls they would cater to situations like this. Im sure im not the only person that holds a lic. with intent to race but at some point or another lack funds or time. My biggest problem with the class is how involved it has become. It now requires a lot of extra time that it did not in the past. Ill obviously do what it takes I guess if I really want to race but the MRA should implement something that would allow for noice riders to attend something less time consuming in order to keep the dream alive. :) thanks Casey!

The reason the race school now takes more time (Friday night classroom) is to allow students to have more time on the track. When I first took my school, the classroom portion was the first half of the day, then we got to ride for a couple hours during the second half. Now, you get the classroom portion done on Friday, and then get to spend almost a full day on the track.

Steve did a great job of explaining why we require students that have never raced, to re-take the school at the beginning of the year. We are definitely hurting for members, but must keep safety a priority. If you don't have time for the race school, get in touch with Mark and see what options he can give you. Here is the number for Tammy who can get everything set up for you: 303-944-0334

The other option is to race with the superstreet class at least twice this season, then you can purchase your license after that with Mark's approval.

We definitely don't want to lose any active members so please let me know if I can help you with anything else!

super-zhero
March 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
:lol: I dont know how to move this post (as it no longer is a rules deal) so sorry its strayed so far. I totally understand what Steve is saying and actually in reflection of my own reasons why I dont want to run SS class (as I feel eveyone needs instruction before racing) I will most likely be attending the Race School with hopes of maybe making a race this year. Agian glad I asked 'cause I would have been a little pissed had I paid my dues and then showed up on a race weekend without being able to race. No worries about me not supporting the club as I will always pay my dues whether I can race or not but the time for classes and such are tough for me. See ya in april yall!
thanks
Scotty M