PDA

View Full Version : Lap Timers

Desmodromico
March 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Considering the options for a lap timer this season, I know lots of people use the basic XT one, but curious if anyone is using a GPS timer like the XT Pro.

It seems like it would be pretty helpful to have the data on your speeds and throttle position in corners as well as sector times. Difference in price is $350 but if it is more helpful than two track days in gaining speed it paid for itself. Anyone have any feedback on how well they work and pros and cons?

nwatkins176
March 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
My basic XT one works great, holds many laps, just can't do certain sections unless there is an extra transmitter. Also before spending $350 on a GPS timer, if you have an Iphone there are apps that do that pretty cheap.

Hey were did you put the transponder on the Ducati anyways. It is pretty tight up front. Sorry didn't mean to thread jack.

T Baggins
March 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I use a sun-dial. works pretty good except when it's cloudy. :lol:

Desmodromico
March 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I use a sun-dial. works pretty good except when it's cloudy. :lol:

I was thinking of using the tides to time mine but I have trouble seeing the water...

This thing seems to be everything including the kitchen sink.
http://www.xtracing.com/images/gpxpro-product.png

GPS-based lap times to 1/100 seconds
Track maps with full data analysis capabilities
Min/Max RPM and speed for each lap
Automatic track recognition and start/finish line setup
Add up to 5 splits and adjust them at any time
Store hundreds of laps and sessions
Tachometer input with digital pickup or inductive wrap
8 Adjustable LED RPM and shift lights
Hour meter and total miles/kilometers traveled
GPS speed and 5 data acquisition channels
Data acquisition inputs selectable
Built in GPS receiver/antenna or optional external antenna
3 racing modes; Circuit Racing, Point-to-Point and Drag Racing
240x160 backlit 32 shade grayscale display
Customizable screen layouts
GPStudio lap and data analysis software
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery [/img]

dragos13
March 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
The XT works great for lap times, but that is all it does.

The GPS units are pretty awesome. They can show you track line as well as braking and accelerating. You can compare laps, check max and average speed, etc. Definitely the best option for racer assistance.

Desmodromico
March 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.shop.superbikestore.net/images/gpstudio-main-large.png

oldtimer
March 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Sam how much is this GPS laptimer? Aaron wants us to get one so we can compare laps on both ZX's, we've only looked at the Starlane which is pricey. :(

JimWilson29
March 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I have an XT Ultra Lap with transmitter and download module I would consider selling if you're interested.

DarkKnight
March 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hey Sam how much is this GPS laptimer? Aaron wants us to get one so we can compare laps on both ZX's, we've only looked at the Starlane which is pricey. :(

These are $600 - $625

Desmodromico
March 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Wyeth, The XT GPX Pro is around $600, not bad for what it can do. I read on some other forums where guys would velcro it to the bike of a pro rider and overlay their info to see where they could get faster, I would think this would work well for what you intend to do. It will basically pull any info from the bike you want if you hook up the sensors and reads G-forces and speeds as well. See here: http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5019

Jim, depending on which way I go I may take you up on that, trying to figure out if the budget can handle one of the GPS ones first...

Anybody have one they use here in the MRA? I see all the money in some of the bikes, imagine somebody has used them...