PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the right place?

dj_hype
March 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone! New to motorcycle racing but not roadracing. My question is, am I in the right place? Meaning, I like to participate in time-trial events and trackdays in my car, but I don't actually compete in wheel-to-wheel racing. The same holds true with my motorcycle. I'd like to participate in some trackdays but I'm more concerned with improving my skills as a rider and learning proper racing techniques than I am with racing against other riders.

So, the question again is am I in the right place? Or should I be looking into Chicane Trackdays or just going to HPR open lapping days?

Thanks!

motolitho
March 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Do the racing school, best bang for your buck. April 9-11, you will find more info on this site.

The MRA Race School is one of the finest values in
on-track instruction. Many riders in the MRA have
learned how to become a racer by taking the MRA
School, but few realize what a value it is for
returning and advancing racers.

Our New Rider Director along with his instructional
team all have many years of experience racing
motorcycles. Many of the instructors are class
champions in the club and all posses the ability to
teach others how to move around the racetrack
faster.

Looking to breakthrough? Looking to blow the
cobwebs off ? Looking for some high value
feedback from some of the best riders in the club?
The MRA Race school is exactly the place to get it.

Registration is still open, and we have space for you
to join us. Just fill out the Race School Application
form and send it in!

Motodrew
March 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.mra-racing.org/pdf/2010_RaceSchool.pdf

dj_hype
March 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I had read that about the race school and plan on attending if I can afford it. But that's not exactly what my question was addressing.

Since I don't intend (at least at this point) on competing, and am more interested on improving my skills as a rider than I am with actual racing, should I focus on attending MRA Race Days or other events?

Motodrew
March 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM
If you really want to improve your riding skills/ lap times / etc, the race school would be a great start to the riding season. Its only an additional $50 on top of the $150 track day fee.

However, if you are just looking for some practice or open lapping days without the race school see this link for signup:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10339

This will be the only open track day through the MRA this year. Any additional lapping days will be ran by the individual tracks themselves, so see the track schedules for times/prices.

And if you feel competitive enough, you are welcome to join the SUPERSTREET class:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10145

gsnyder828
March 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, I had read that about the race school and plan on attending if I can afford it. But that's not exactly what my question was addressing.

Since I don't intend (at least at this point) on competing, and am more interested on improving my skills as a rider than I am with actual racing, should I focus on attending MRA Race Days or other events?

Let me see if I can address your actual question...

If you're not interested in head to head competition - then MRA Race Days are not what you want - though I'd encourage you to come out and spectate. You may find that you're interested after all. Corner working is also a great way to experience racing close up.

For track days - you can usually find info on this forum or the Colorado Sportbike Club forum. I don't think Chicane has announced their schedule yet... but PPIR and High Plains are both running open days and there is info on those around here somewhere

To my knowledge there is no motorcycle equivilent to TT events that SCCA and NASA put on. For bikes it's either non-competitive track days or head to head racing. The new Superstreet Class is the first step to close the gap - but it's still head to head.

That said - the MRA School is worth taking. I took it back in 2001 with the intent of only doing track days... ended up liking it (mock race especially) so much that I raced that year despite my initial intentions.

joe859
March 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Um, to clarify what Motodrew stated above about the MRA open track days April 10-11, you must be an MRA member (either racer or associate member) to get on the track. Assuming you're not taking the school.

dj_hype
March 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thank you very much gsnyder. That was exactly what I was looking for. I had planned to attend a few events and I do like corner working (I've done it for NASA a few times).

dragos13
March 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Definitely take the race school if you are interested in becoming a better rider. You will be set up with one or two other students and an expert racer/instructor. Its definitely the way to go!!

Now, the race weekends might not be the place for you unless you are wanting to compete. There are many different skill levels based on engine size and rider skill. Its something to think about but doesn't have to be decided any time soon.

Taking the race school will help make you faster on the track and a better rider, overall. After that, look for open trackdays or the Chicane schedule once posted. Let me know if you have any other questions. If I can't answer them, I'll find someone who can :)