PDA

View Full Version : Any Fay Meyer folks can confirm?

bluedevil
March 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
So its been said that a SO and Sprocket change will void a Duc Warranty from Fay and Ducati...

Can anyone with Fay or another dealership confirm or deny this info?

Jon
March 12th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I don't know if it's still true but in the past doing a track day on a Ducati would void it's warranty. I would read the fine print cause it'll cost you a bundle to fix it if it breaks.

Desmodromico
March 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ducati has fought people on a lot of warranty issues the last few years like the tank spreading, regulator issues, etc. In many cases they have ended up either getting sued or having to issue a recall.

I would just make sure if you have an issue you prepare yourself for a possible fight over it and keep documentation on everything. Something like a sprocket would be easy to swap back also if you didn't want to deal with the hassle.

rybo
March 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Dion,

They would have to prove that the change caused the failure in order for it to void the warranty. That is one of the critical parts of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act to protect consumers from such things.

One of the other things that it provided was the ability for owners to perform their own routine maintenance such as oil changes.

you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

bluedevil
March 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks good info.

It looks as though was spooked so badly he fears making any simple change to his Duc for fear Fay/Duc will not cover any warranty issue should it arise.

On a side note: Its a commuter bike not a race bike (I realize racing a bike changes ALL the rules)

racedk6
March 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks good info.

It looks as though was spooked so badly he fears making any simple change to his Duc for fear Fay/Duc will not cover any warranty issue should it arise.

On a side note: Its a commuter bike not a race bike (I realize racing a bike changes ALL the rules)

With it being a part that will wear out over time over any type of use, I dont see how somethign like that would even bring the possibility of voiding a warranty.

TRK
March 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Dion,

They would have to prove that the change caused the failure in order for it to void the warranty. That is one of the critical parts of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act to protect consumers from such things.

One of the other things that it provided was the ability for owners to perform their own routine maintenance such as oil changes.

you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

BUT when they say they won't warranty it for whatever reason, you still have a fight on your hands............EVEN if you are in the right.