PDA

View Full Version : Shift rod-to-shifter ball joint - 2007 R6

phildrummond
March 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I need the ball joint that couples the bottom end of the shift rod with the shifting end (not foot end) of the shift lever. It's the piece that sits at the bottom end of the shift rod. It's reverse threaded into the shift rod from the bottom with a bolt/nut combo to the shift lever.

You'd think this thing would be cheap and easy to find but Vortex and a local shop are confused at how to make it work.

Those of you with R6s, check out what I'm talking about and let me know if you have the part to sell or a solution you rigged up. When I talk to Vortex, it's an OEM part. When I talk to a Yamaha shop, it's part of the $80 shifter, riveted on and has to be machined/ground off, then drilled out and bolted somehow...so I have to get it aftermarket. WTF?

Thanks.

racedk6
March 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
check steels cycle salvage yard they might have a beat up shifter to sell ya, so you can rod the joint off of it.

dragos13
March 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hey Tom any chance you can post up a pic or send me a text with a pic?

I have a spare set of OEM rearsets that I have been holding on to as backups. If its something I can just take off, then I'll hook you up :)

phildrummond
March 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Grubbs. I filled out their online form. Im about to run a nail through the bunged up piece I have and put a ball of JB weld at each end.

cromer611
March 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
ok, so lemme get this clear. You have the linkage that is splinned onto the shift shaft that sticks out of the motor, but you dont have the reverse threaded hind joint that threads into the shift rod correct?
if all you need is a reverse hind joint go to ace hardware and get a hind joint, a stack of washers, a long enough bolt and lock nut. like dis.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/codman123/HPIM7612.jpg

or do you mean you need the actual aluminum linkage itself? cuz i believe i have one from vortex that came with my rearsets that i can give you, then follow what i said above.

if all else fails and you cant find a reverse hind joint... you can get solid aluminum rods and have it drilled and tapped both right handed threads. you will have to unbolt one hind joint and lengthen and shorten it that way but it will work.

cromer611
March 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
check steels cycle salvage yard they might have a beat up shifter to sell ya, so you can rod the joint off of it.
i dont think you can rob the joint of, its press fitted. err riveted