PDA

View Full Version : Race Weekend Expenditures

Motodrew
March 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am undecided as to how many classes I will be participating in for the upcoming MRA season. This all depends on my required financial input.

I am certainly going to register in NGTU. But what are the additional costs of registering on Saturdays in NGTO &/or Endurance as well?

How about adding Sunday's races in AGTU & AGTO to the mix? I'm aware this may require more expenses when it comes to maintenance & tires, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of my financial commitments for these weekends. I will first need to compare some times before deciding if AGTU &/or AGTO is a good idea/investment or not.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks

drew

T Baggins
March 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
First race entry is $130
Second is $60
Third is $30
Fourth and beyond is $20

The more you ride the cheaper it gets...

Endurance are $60 each class, not subject to structure above.

Motodrew
March 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Does the fact that AGTO & AGTU fall on a seperate day mixup the equation?

dragos13
March 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Does the fact that AGTO & AGTU fall on a seperate day mixup the equation?

Do you mean Nov and Am? Both AGTU and AGTO are on Sunday.

With that said, it doesn't matter if you mix and match days. Run 1 sprint Saturday and one on Sunday, prices are still the same as posted above. The only classes that are different would be entry for Endurance and surcharge for ROR.

Hope that helps :)

Motodrew
March 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Ah yes. Thanks for the correction & direction! See y'all out there!

racedk6
March 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Ah yes. Thanks for the correction & direction! See y'all out there!

Another tip. If you are planning on trying to finish top 5 in any of those classes. Enter all of them the first race weekend. If you choose not to race some of the classes later at least you wont be behind on points :wink:

Desmodromico
March 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Racing both days can be more expensive if you decide to drive home at night or get a hotel also. If you can sleep at the track and bring what you need there that can save you some money.

Also racing more classes could mean more tires, but I would imagine unless you get into endurance you probably won't see too much difference there.

I found last year there are tons of little expenses you don't think of that add up, and also make sure you are realistic about how much you are willing to spend. The budget can be blown very quickly by a crash or just bad luck, this year I have a little more slush in the fund so hopefully will be alright.

Motodrew
March 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks.

FYI: I was trying to get a general idea of lap times expected between NOVICE & AMATEUR, but it seems the database on this website that holds last years statistics is scrambled.

peteremsley
March 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I think it is just the race "titles" that are wrong. They are updated with the 2010 schedule, but the results are still from 2009. If you can find a 2009 schedule, match up the race numbers.

Roughly speaking, if the mid pack times are in the 1:40s it was Pueblo, if they are around or above 2mins then it was HPR. I don't recall Hastings times, but I if I recall correctly, that was rounds 3 and 4.

cromer611
March 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
drew, if anyone has some decent tips on how to race pretty cheap its me.
step one: buy take offs from the vanmar pit. mark and tammy always have some decent tires with plenty of life on them. I ran the new Michelin Pilot Power 1's in all four races per weekend. that includes practice and warmup laps, if I can make them last and at the same time try to go as fast as i can, I know you can. and if you finish top 5 you will get contingency money to help pay back on the tires you just bought.

step two: if ya got a tent, pitch it. wow that sounds bad but seriously, you save money on hotels and gas back and forth from home. also the vanmar pits is a great way to hang out and meet most of us.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/codman123/Erik3.jpg
step three: if someone has room on their trailer, have them bring your bike down. then pack your gas friendly vehicle with your gear.

step four: bring a cooler with food and drink. I personally dont eat much during the race weekend, nerves get in the way. Safeway sells $5 dollar sub sandwiches that last me all day. $10 for two sandwhiches for the weekend? cant beat that. only of course if you make PBJs at home. as for the drink, of course water. also, if you can pack as much corona and margarita mix as you can, it will help your cause getting a good deal on tires. IE step one.

and the last and most important step: DO NOT waste your money on power upgrades or expensive suspenion as of yet! just because your not going as fast as the other guys with all the gadgets, doesnt mean your bike is slow. its all mental. besides, beating someone with all the gadgets makes victory that much sweeter. the most common mistake for novices in their first year is they turn to their bikes to go faster. they drop money into suspensions, quick shifters, lighter more expensive stuff, then cant afford entry fees and end up selling their bike half way through the season. seat time, seat time, seat time, is the only way to get faster. your suspension is well capable of working with the speeds you will be running starting out. setting up your stock suspension is key though. make sure you have the right spring rates front and rear and set your sag. During Trackdays, I and other racers can help you set up your bike to work for you. letting you know early though, during race weekends people wont be able to help you because they have their stuff to worry about : )

hope this helps man. I wanna see MOAR people coming out to race a FULL season. shoot me a message if ya have any questions

cromer611
March 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
oh yeah..... dont crash. almost forgot that one : P
oh and hold your line : )

cromer611
March 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
dont forget the key to your bike, I did it and it sucks. dont drive 7-8 hours for a race and forget your boots in your driveway, that sucks too.

oldtimer
March 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I am undecided as to how many classes I will be participating in for the upcoming MRA season. This all depends on my required financial input.... I will first need to compare some times before deciding if AGTU &/or AGTO is a good idea/investment or not.

+1 what Cromer said about seat time.

I encourage you to run more classes per weekend, you'll improve exponentially with every race you start. AmU/AmO are worth running. The classes are faster than novice, and most racers lap times are drug down just by working to keep up with the pack. Even if you finish farther back you may find you turn your fastest laps in Am.

LordLosh
March 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
This is a great question, So if i want to get the most seat time possible i need to expect to pay $240 dollars per Day? or does it cover you for Saturday and Sunday? and that will get me into 4 Races?
Can i have a link or a short description of all the Races that i could enter in being my first year with a 07 600cc bike? Thanks

rybo
March 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM
This is a great question, So if i want to get the most seat time possible i need to expect to pay $240 dollars per Day? or does it cover you for Saturday and Sunday? and that will get me into 4 Races?
Can i have a link or a short description of all the Races that i could enter in being my first year with a 07 600cc bike? Thanks

A novice on a 600 can enter the following classes:

Novice GTU
Novice GTO
Amateur GTU
Amateur GTO
MW Endurance
HW Endurance
Sportsman (if you don't reach the cutoff time)
Ladies of the Rockies (if you are female)

Entry fees:

Sprint Classes:

First Race (say, novice GTU) $130
Second Race (say novice GTO) $60
Third Race (say Amateur GTU) $30
Fourth Race (say Amateur GTO) $20

Total Sprint Fees: $240

Endurance Classes:

First Race (MW endurance) $60
Second Race (HW endurance) $30

Total Endurance fees: $ 90

For MAXIMUM seat time in a weekend your fees would be $330

That assumes that you are fit enough to race all these races. Few people do the endurance races back to back. It's possible, I've done it, but it hurts sometimes. It will be especially hard to do if you are also racing the novice sprint classes on the same day.

The registration costs are by the weekend, not by the day, so if you do some sprint races on Saturday and some on Sunday they all count towards the decreasing price structure.

Endurance races are priced separately and the fees for them are not affected in any way by the sprint races you do.

Hope that helps

s

LordLosh
March 11th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Awesome! everything i needed. Was a little worried there it was by the day lol. I think i will just stick with the sprint class for now and maybe do an endurance 1 just to see what its like and if i can handle it.

Motodrew
March 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Appreciate the tips Cromer. I think we are on the same page for sure!

loujr
March 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
dont forget the key to your bike, I did it and it sucks. dont drive 7-8 hours for a race and forget your boots in your driveway, that sucks too.

Hastings...Looking back....Classic!

cromer611
March 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
yeah, that wasnt fun

Mark Schellinger
March 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Oh Hastlings !!

cromer611
March 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
lol hastlings, jackie laughed