PDA

View Full Version : 4-hour Relay Endurance Race Rules

dragos13
February 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Here they are folks!!!

July 31st 2010 Toyota Trucks 4-Hour Relay Endurance Race Rules

Official Rules

This race is a “pony express” style endurance race. In this type of race each rider can use his or her own bike. All bikes will be required to pass the standard MRA tech inspection before going on the track. The race will be 4 hours in duration and take place on Saturday afternoon, July 31st.

Classes

Team Endurance:
Teams consist of at least 2 members and have a maximum of 6 riders.

Iron-Person:
The “iron” category is for a rider to do the event solo. During fueling breaks race officials may evaluate the physical and mental condition of the rider. They reserve the right to remove riders from the event if there is reason to believe that the rider’s condition is a threat to the safety of that rider or others.

Rules

1) The Toyota Trucks Relay Endurance will be 4 hours in duration
2) For all team events each team will have a minimum of 2 riders and a maximum of 6 riders
3) MRA reserves the right to remove riders from the event if they are a threat to their own, or other participants safety.

Bike

4) Bikes must pass the standard MRA tech inspection before participating in the race.
5) All bikes on the team will be registered as a team before the race begins.
6) Bike eligibility: Unlimited displacement, unlimited origin. Motorcycles must meet all of the general requirements outlined in section 5.2 of the MRA rulebook.

Hot Pit

7) There is a strict speed limit of 35 MPH on the hot pit lane
8) Teams may have 5 crewmembers that assist on the hot pit. Crew assisting on the hot pit lane must wear long pants and closed toe shoes.
9) Refueling of the motorcycle can only happen when the rider is off the bike, the bike is on a stand and the engine is off.
10) Each team must provide a fire extinguisher for the hot pit lane by their designated pit area.

Crashes

11) The race will continue through crashes unless the rider requires emergency medical attention or if a hazard is created on the track that cannot be cleared in a reasonable amount of time. (i.e. Oil on the racing line)
12) Providing that the rider is not injured the bike and transponder will be retrieved by the MRA corner crew.
13) As soon as the transponder is legally transferred to another team members bike the team may continue in the race.
14) Upon inspection by the VP of Rules and Tech the crashed bike and rider may return to the race.

Scoring

1) All timing and scoring will take place using AMB transponders
2) The winning team is the team that completes the most laps during the 4 hour event
3) At the 4-hour mark the race ends. The total time of each team will be taken for scoring purposes. Number of laps will be the primary scoring method. In the event that more than one team is on the same lap the team completing the most laps in the shortest time will be declared the winner.

Registration

1) All participants must be registered participants of MRA. This can be accomplished either through a day license or a regular season license.
2) Entry fee is $60 per rider. This fee is in addition to regular MRA sprint entry fees.
3) Grid positions will be determined by a 15-minute qualifying session that will take place during the final practice session in the morning. One rider from each team will register their transponder as the official team transponder. Only times from that transponder during the final practice of the morning will be considered valid for qualifying and the race.

Questions or comments please post up. This event is going to be a great time!!!

gsnyder828
February 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Will there be a seperate podium for the solo category?

Toyota Trucks as sponsor? Is there a purse? \:D/

rybo
February 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Will there be a seperate podium for the solo category?

Toyota Trucks as sponsor? Is there a purse? \:D/

Sorry Geoff, no purse this year, but nice trophies for positions 1-5 in the team category and and 1-3 in the solo category.

Toyota is also sponsoring LWGP this year. I'm glad they came on as a sponsor and am looking forward to working with them!

If the turnout is big enough I hope to grow this event in coming years. I think it's going to be a ton of fun.

Scott

phildrummond
February 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
This race counts towards total season endurance points the individual rider on a team?

dragos13
February 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Correct, each team member will receive 15 points towards the endurance season championships for participating.

Ray-Ray
February 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
This race counts towards total season endurance points the individual rider on a team?

We should race the new R6 of yours!! :)

phildrummond
February 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM
That's right, I remember seeing that somewhere now. 15 points just for starting? Can't argue with that. Half the time I don't even win that many points for finishing.

gsnyder828
February 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Correct, each team member will receive 15 points towards the endurance season championships for participating.

Is it a safe assumption that the points will apply to 2 endurance season championships for riders that ride 2 classes?

dragos13
February 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Is it a safe assumption that the points will apply to 2 endurance season championships for riders that ride 2 classes?

You are correct :)

phildrummond
February 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ray-Ray: Cheapest track day of the season with all that track time. We can put on a Velcro "4" and just peel it off/put it on depending on who's on the bike!

racedk6
February 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Is there any rule saying where and how the transponder has to be secured to the bike?

rybo
February 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Steve,

There is no specific rule on how or where it needs to be secured, but if the transponder falls off for any reason the rider won't be scored.

The only reason for manual scoring in this race is in the event of a transponder technical failure, not lost off the bike.

In the event of a crash the crashed rider is to remain with the bike and be picked up by the MRA crash crew. The bike will then go back through tech before it's allowed back on the track. Once the bike is back in the pits (as transported by the crash crew) then the transponder can be exchanged to another team members bike and they can continue racing.

s

Scored51
February 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Is there any rule saying where and how the transponder has to be secured to the bike?

You're not renting, are you :?:

sheispoison
February 26th, 2010, 01:15 AM
So what's the deal with tire warmers on hot pit lane? Are we bringing a generator up there or running cords all over the place? Or no warmers? Got a team and can't wait to do this!
carl

dragos13
February 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM
So what's the deal with tire warmers on hot pit lane? Are we bringing a generator up there or running cords all over the place? Or no warmers? Got a team and can't wait to do this!
carl

We will only be letting the next immediate racer to be staged in the hot pit lane. Racer and pit crews will be the only ones with access over the fence.

As for warmers, we are working on the idea of how and where we can have generators running.

Dont worry, you will not be sent out on cold tires :)

N1K
February 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
how will the speed limit be enforced?? I'd need to be paced at 35 so I know what 35 on my bike is as its geared with no healer.

racedk6
February 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM
So how does the racer that is on the track get off and swap the transponder? Does he pull into the teams hot pit, do the swap then proceed to the normal pits?

I was hoping to be able to have 2 bikes in the hot pit with one easy up.

But I guess thats not happening

N1K
February 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Will there be live timing or updates broadcasted ???

N1K
February 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
So is the price 60 or 60 + the price of sprint race?

rybo
February 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Nik,

Price is $60 for the endurance.

If you want to go sprint racing the regular sprint racing fees apply.

There will be announcements during the race, as always, and the announcers will have access to the timing system to keep track of who's in the lead.

s

rybo
February 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
So how does the racer that is on the track get off and swap the transponder? Does he pull into the teams hot pit, do the swap then proceed to the normal pits?

Steve,

The procedure would look something like this:

Rider on track (Bike A) exits at the normal track exit. They would ride up the hot pit to their pit location, pull in and stop. The rider preparing to go out would be there (Bike B). The transponder would come off of Bike A and go onto Bike B, then Bike B would merge back onto the track at our normal location. Depending on the team strategy and size, Bike A would either then exit to the regular pits and Bike C with the next racer would move onto the hot pit, or Bike A would get serviced and refueled and ready for it's next stint and stay on the hot pit.

Only the bike coming off the track and the next bike going onto the track will be allowed on the hot pit, so I guess that's 2 bikes.

Scott

N1K
February 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sweet thanks Scott. I'm getting excited for this race and 2010 season

racedk6
February 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Steve,

The procedure would look something like this:

Rider on track (Bike A) exits at the normal track exit. They would ride up the hot pit to their pit location, pull in and stop. The rider preparing to go out would be there (Bike B). The transponder would come off of Bike A and go onto Bike B, then Bike B would merge back onto the track at our normal location. Depending on the team strategy and size, Bike A would either then exit to the regular pits and Bike C with the next racer would move onto the hot pit, or Bike A would get serviced and refueled and ready for it's next stint and stay on the hot pit.

Only the bike coming off the track and the next bike going onto the track will be allowed on the hot pit, so I guess that's 2 bikes.

Scott

Ok well I was hoping to have "3" bikes then lol.

Say.. Bike A is coming in to the pits. Bike B leaves the pits and Bike C is sitting there already to go.

I want to do that so my bike will be on warmers for more then 30 min. Cause I swear I was told to have them on for at least 45 min before going out on them. But I could be way wrong here.

rybo
February 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Steve,

Leave the bike in the regular pit on warmers, and move it out there when Bike A leaves the hot pit and put the warmers back on. They will be plenty warm and good to go. That certainly takes no more time than peeling off your warmers, going to pre grid and one warm up lap before the typical sprint race.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have a provision for gensets on the hot pit, so the bike can sit it's 30/45 minutes on the warmers there.

s

Jon
March 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Pit lane speed limit? I'm assuming there would be one?

N1K
March 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Saw something about this thought it was 35 I was wondering how it was going to be done. As I would have to be clocked to figure out speed for my bike or I guess I could ride in street for a min. with a gps

vroomnut
April 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
So just for confirmation...everyone who participates receives an automatic 15 points towards their respective Endurance class regardless of finishing position....is that correct? Those who podium... simply win the prestige and the trophies...but no points advantage...right?

Alan

rybo
April 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
That's right Alan

Scored51
April 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Saw something about this thought it was 35 I was wondering how it was going to be done.

For enforcement purposes of the normal pit (paddock) speed limit, the club already owns a radar gun. I assume it will be used here for the same purpose.

Timing & Scoring Note:

For everyone planning on participating, the transponder each team plans on handing off during the race will need to be registered with me separately of any normal racing. It doesn't matter if the transponder is already being used for racing that weekend, but it will need to be entered into the database again with the team's name attached to it. For example: If Tony B., Ray-Ray, and Chris Coonshead decide to race as a team, they can register Tony's normal transponder for the team and call themselves "Short Bus Racing". Solo riders will also have to do the same thing (using their real names, or not) even though they won't be making any transfers.

This may all be covered on the entry forms, and no additional action may be required. However, I wanted everyone to start thinking about what you'd like your team name to be as it will be official.

Thanks,

TRK
May 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Any chance we can do a ROR style surcharge and have some payouts :D

I am sure I am too late

TRK
May 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Any chance Toyota could provide a purse as the Title Sponsor, or are they contributing to the MRA in a different manner?

Would be fun to race for something.

rybo
May 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Any chance Toyota could provide a purse as the Title Sponsor, or are they contributing to the MRA in a different manner?

Would be fun to race for something.

Shannon,

This year it's going to be bragging rights. Toyota is sponsoring the trophies and such as we've done with the other classes for years. If it goes well I'm sure we could convince them to stay on board or even increase their involvement in future years.

Scott

Globetrotter
May 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hey y'all,

First post here and it's a question: Myself and three of my teammates are seriously considering entering this race just for fun. Only thing is none of us have MRA licenses. I have an expert license with WSMC and Utah SBA, the rest have novice licenses with WERA and Utah SBA. How does this "day license" work? Would we be eligible for it? If not, what should we do? We're only interested in doing this one race (we're on the hunt for endurance races), so hopefully the process is a little easier than if we were interested in doing the entire season.

And do I have this right...the only fee we pay is the $60 per rider? There aren't any fees for having a second bike we plan on using during the race?

A little help please...

Thanks,
Troy

dragos13
June 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hey Troy, I just got back from WSBK so I didn't have a chance to respond to your email. I do appologize for that.

You can pick up the one day license at the race day office on the day of the endurance race. Registration closes at 10am so be sure to make it by before that time. The cost is $50 per rider for the license. Be sure to register your AMB lap timer at this time with Chris Dale.

As for entry, you are correct with $60 per rider with no additional fees if you are running endurance only. No cost for any additional bikes.

Let me know if you have any other questions either via the forum or email.

Thanks and we look forward to having you guys come out and race with us!!!

KFinn
June 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Be sure to register your AMB lap timer at this time with Chril Dale.

Correction: Chris Dale not Chril. :D

dragos13
June 1st, 2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks Kevin :D

Scored51
June 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM
Don't worry, it looks the same at 6 am either way. Thanks for the edit.

TRK
June 14th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Can we set up an ROR style pool, thus race for something. Cash would be cool.

T Baggins
June 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Can we set up an ROR style pool, thus race for something. Cash would be cool.

It would have to be totally "rider funded" - which means there won't be any money in the pot...

The MRA took a beating over the weekend financially so the prospect of us providing additional purse money this year is non-existent. :cry:

TRK
June 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I meant rider funded, kinda like ROR is now

Globetrotter
July 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Two more questions:

1) If running more than one bike for the endurance race, do both bikes need to have the same number?

2) Will there be sprint races Sunday?

Thanks!

JimWilson29
July 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Two more questions:

1) If running more than one bike for the endurance race, do both bikes need to have the same number?

2) Will there be sprint races Sunday?

Thanks!

Bikes do not need the same number but you will be required to use the same transponder.
We will be running our normal Saturday and Sunday sprints with the exception of the 4 normal endurance classes, LW,MW,HW,Open, and the Super Street class. The daily schedule is located here http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10406

Snowman
July 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
As far as the hot pits, what are you allowing…
Up to the wall? (Canopies, generators, etc…)
Over the wall? (Number of people, Fuel cans, tools etc… )
Next to the track wall? (Pit Boards, etc…)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Will there be live timing or updates broadcasted ???
Autumn will be calling the standings at regular intervals. She can look at Chris' laptop and see who is where at any time.

My thinking is that we could announce the standings at each 30 min mark through 3 hours, then at 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 3:55, and the finish.

Thinking about it, it might be good to print out standings at 1hr, 2hr, 3hr, and 3:30 just so people can check.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
As far as the hot pits, what are you allowing…
Up to the wall? (Canopies, generators, etc…)
Over the wall? (Number of people, Fuel cans, tools etc… )
Next to the track wall? (Pit Boards, etc…)

Good questions. Unless we're planning something else, the pit wall looks like this

http://www.rm944.com/events/2010-05-29_31%20High%20Plains/pics/Enduro/slides/IMG_3419.JPG

So I'd guess we'd set up canopy's on the back side of the wall in the gravel area.

Over the wall I think the rule is 5 people - see http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10333

I don't know where the signaling area will be. I would think it would be across the hot pit area near start/finish. True?

One suggestion - don't let anyone pit anywhere near the transponder loop. If they're smart, they could potentially get a few more laps in - TONY!

jplracing
July 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM
So how do we inform the mra/scoring who is on a particular team?

rforsythe
July 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Assuming all available fuel cans are moved to the pit wall to facilitate, well, refueling, is putting our normal fire extinguisher there acceptable (meaning nothing @ our trailer)? Since anything that would go boom would be relocated to the wall I'd think so, but don't want to get busted for not placing one at my trailer during the race, nor do I want to have to buy a 2nd one just for this.

Is staking canopies into the ground is an acceptable method of securing them there, or is that bad for some reason? Not being a paved area I don't see the issue, unless the ground is incredibly soft or something.

Will we be able to set up canopies, generators, tools, etc during morning practice and get our crews acclimated so we aren't trying all of that out for the first time during the race? If so, will that include being able to stop in hot-pit?

random hero
July 26th, 2010, 01:00 AM
For this particular endurance race are we allowed to move the transponder location off the fork leg and onto a place that's more "convenient" for transfer?