PDA

View Full Version : Shane Turpin Injured on Dirt Bike

Vanmar Racing
February 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Shane was injured yesterday in a dirt bike crash. He is in University Hospital in SLC. He has broken both of his legs. Surgery is required.

Please send your prayers for Shane and his family.

We love you Shane!

T Baggins
February 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Well s#it, that's terrible news! Hang in there ST! :(

jbrowning
February 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hope you heal up soon Shane.

Jim Browning

Jon
February 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
With Shane being the superman he is I'd imagine him to be back on his feet and in attendance for the Daytona Supercross on 3/6. Sorry to hear and best of luck, I'm sure Tammy will be getting details on where and when we'll have a card to sign.

Throttleroller277
February 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I plan to fly out there tonight or tomorrow. 8)

dave.gallant
February 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Isn't this the second time he has broken both of his legs?? :(

dragos13
February 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sucks to hear that Shane. Hope you have a quick and full recovery man.

snay
February 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
I plan to fly out there tonight or tomorrow. 8)

See ya at 1:30
And I will give the MRA a update :roll:

COOLTOY
February 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
ST, stay tough buddy! Wish I was in town to come see you. I will be by Wednesday for sure. If there is anything I can do or anyone hears they need please let me know!

SHORTY

Kickstand
February 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hope you feel better soon Shane!

Best of Luck,

Tawny & Matt

Mark Schellinger
February 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
ST
It was good talking to you and Dawn tonight. I am hurting for you.
I am in Virginia working.
I will call tomorrow.

oldtimer
February 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Terrible news! Heal up fast Shane, our prayers are with you and your family.

Wyeth

random hero
February 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Terrible news... get well soon ST, really a bummer.

benfoxmra95
February 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Heal fast....were thinking about you!

Vanmar Racing
February 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Shane has extensive damage to his ankles / legs especially his right leg He will require several surgeries to try and repair the damage.

Shane was jumping a double when apparently his bike stalled and he came up short, cased out the bike, and drilled his legs into the ground. He was able to keep his bike upright and rode his bike over to a chain link fence where he could grab it and hang on until help arrived. His right leg is so damaged it is now much shorter. They have performed a surgery to open up his legs to help relieve the swelling and he has had a second surgery to try and remove the shattered bone fragments.

People have called and asked what they can do for Shane and his family. What they really need most is financial help. He will be unable to walk, let alone work for quite some time. We should have something set up soon so we can accept donations for Shane and his family.

http://i46.tinypic.com/34ye8na.jpg

cromer611
February 23rd, 2010, 01:47 AM
f#ck man, heal up soon. dont even try to rush sh!t either, we all have that mentality cuz we are all racers.
feel better man

glenngsxr
February 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Definitely not a usual picture of Shane we are used to seeing. Heal up quick brother! Glenn #62

froth
February 23rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Ouch, to say the least. As tough as he is, I' more scared for the doctors and PTs that will be trying to keep up with him once he starts rehabbing! Heal up soon, Shane.

Desmodromico
February 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Terrible news, hope you heal quickly Shane.

N1K
February 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
:shock: Crap Shane. This sucks mang, Hope the surgery's go well for you and soon so the that rehab can start. Little bit of a battle lies in front of ya you'll make it out just fine once its over. Keep your head up mang

Edda Tully
February 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
All the best wishes and prayers for a Speedy and full Recovery from the Tully's here in New Mexico. God bless you and take time to heal properly!!!

tomtom
February 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Get well soon Shane, our thoughts and prayers are with ya.

clowe
February 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Shane,

Get well as soon as possible. We are thinking of you buddy.

Take care,

Crash and Lauren

freddiewest
February 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
All my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!!!

Please let us know how when you get the account set up to help Mark, Tammy...

All my best

Keith

JenJen
February 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Shane, Sorry to hear about this. I know you're a tough guy and you will push through this. I hope that you heal up quickly. Our thoughts and payers are with you and your family.

Lots of LUV
JenJen

Throttleroller277
February 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Brownie here, reporting in from Salt Lake. ST is in good spirits for the most part. Crackin some jokes when he is awake. In and out alot. Another surgery in the AM. I'm gonna camp out in the room with him. I'll keep ya posted. 8) he's doin good though, considering.

some please link this to the other thread for me. I'm posting this via phone, and that's a pain in the ankles...

Ray-Ray
February 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
pain in the ankles...

OUCH!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

dave.gallant
February 23rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the update Brownie Batter.

Heal up ST!

smidgley
February 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Brownie here, reporting in from Salt Lake. ST is in good spirits for the most part. Crackin some jokes when he is awake. In and out alot. Another surgery in the AM. I'm gonna camp out in the room with him. I'll keep ya posted. 8) he's doin good though, considering.

some please link this to the other thread for me. I'm posting this via phone, and that's a pain in the ankles...

I can loan you a laptop for as long as you need it if it will help you out. Let me know, I'm about ten minutes from University Hospital.

Sol Performance
February 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
That doesn't look very fun at all. Sorry to hear about this Shane. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

snay
February 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Shane, Sorry to hear about this. I know you're a tough guy and you will push through this. I hope that you heal up quickly. Our thoughts and payers are with you and your family.

Lots of LUV
JenJen Jen Shane LOL and said the cake was goooodddd and next time he will do the same!! FYi he said he was choking on the cake wile he was running from you :lol:

303 cycle
February 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Any chances of getting a silent auction going to help raise funds? I know a certain shop that would be willing to pony up some stuff 8)

Glad to hear Shane's in good spirits and we'll cross our fingers for a speedy recovery.

Throttleroller277
February 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
can loan you a laptop for as long as you need it if it will help you out. Let me know, I'm about ten minutes from University Hospital.

I have got my lap top. Thanks. I was waiting till things calmed down, and ST maybe could get some sleep.

Watching them change his banadages was bruital!! He is one tough fella that ST.
The plan is to work on the right ankle, Tib, and Fib in the morning 5:45am. Somewhere around a 4.5hr surgery. And they are planning to close up his wide open wounds tomorrow as well (the ones shown in the photos). They have been left open thus far just to relieve the pressure and swelling. So hopefully they do close them up as they say, so he doesn't have to go through anymore of the bandage changing on them bad boys!!

P.S....They have a Starbucks in the Hostpital, open 24/7... that's nice... A few good loooking nurses.....that's nice.... but i haven't found any Tequila yet........

smidgley
February 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
If there is anything you need or any way I can help out, I'm close by and home all day.

email is best but I'm in Shane's phone
smidgley@comcast.net

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Agh! Heal up quickly buddy!

Throttleroller277
February 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Surgery went well. They mostly closed up his open wounds. Still has drain tubes in. They plated both right and left Fibula bones. Friday they will close the open wounds completely, as the swelling will be down then. He will need to do another surgery to plate both Tibia bones. .... Sleeping now. Only been out about 1.5 hrs from surgery. 8)

Bartman
February 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Shane I can only imagine how bad breaking both tib fibs can be, I only broke one side and I know how long that took to heal. One thing I do know is you are one tough SOB and will make it thru and I would be proud to limp beside you anyday.
Bartman

Throttleroller277
February 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Last night went well. ST was able to get as much rest as possible considering the nurse popping in every 2 hrs for Meds and checking vitals. We talked to the Doc this morning, and we are still on schedule for another minor surgery tomorrow sometime, to remove the Drain Tubes from his legs and close up the wounds. He will require another surgery after Friday to install plates on both the right and left Tibia.

We did a minor Physical Therapy session this morning, and had him sitting upright, with legs out flat to somewhat simulate being in a wheel chair, which went very well. Later this afternoon we may actually try to get him in a chair!!........ And then the fun can happen!.... I already have 2 SuperSport chairs picked out for us 8)

Throttleroller277
February 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Well, we didn't get to race chairs last night, didn't get that far. Surgery went good today though. It was fairly short. They cleaned up the rest of his open wounds, and sealed them up completely. Which is good as they were not sure if they were going to be able to, due to the swelling.

I plan to stay here one more night/day.

The Docs will examine his wounds, as well as any drainage of fluids that me be taking place, on Monday before he goes home. And from there they will make a decision as to when they will bring him back in to Install the Plates on the both right and left Tibia bones....... They are saying that those will be 2 separate surgeries, just due to the time required to do each leg.

3 down..... 2 to go!

ST is in good spirits..... and will be back o n the track kicking our ass's in no time... 8)

dragos13
February 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
ST is in good spirits..... and will be back o n the track kicking our ass's in no time... 8)

I have NO doubt about that :D

Thanks for the updates Brownie. Hang in there Turpin, its all up hill from here!!!

smidgley
February 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
RRW Article
(http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39556)

Throttleroller277
March 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Not much to report.

ST has had the last couple days to "try" to relax and get some rest. May find out today how long it will be till the next and final surgeries will be. 8)

smidgley
March 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Another change of plans, Shane is now out of the hospital and in a rehab center across town in Murray, Utah. It feels a lot more like a place to get well than the hospital did. The next surgery is scheduled for the 16th.

http://scm-computers.com/DSC06711.jpg

http://scm-computers.com/DSC06712.jpg

http://scm-computers.com/DSC06726.jpg

Any and all donations would be appreciated more than you can know, post office box and PayPal information are avaialble at ShaneTurpin.com (http://shaneturpin.com)

smidgley
March 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Shane has surgery Tuesday and yesterday to install the hardware (plates & Screws and such) in both legs, the external fixators are gone and both legs are now in casts. He'll likely be back at the rehab center in Midvale tomorrow, where he'll be for the next four to six weeks.

glenngsxr
March 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
That's great news. Shane has a smile on his face in every picture on here. It really is amazing how healthy he is considering how fast and how many race miles that body has on it. Keep it up ST. Glenn #62

d_mob
March 19th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but I just finished up reading a fantastic article on Mr. Turpin in the latest Roadracing World.

I think I've only spoken to Shane once, but that article reminded me of how cool, humble and helpful he is. Heal up man, I can't wait to see you on the track again!

- David # 78

smidgley
March 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
http://shaneturpin.com/Left.jpg

http://shaneturpin.com/Right.jpg

Any and all donations would be appreciated more than you can know, post office box and PayPal information are avaialble at ShaneTurpin.com (http://ShaneTurpin.com)

PremiumBlend
March 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
This is why I stay off the dirt.

Heal up Shane!!!!

cromer611
March 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
omg, so much hardware.
heal ups sooner dooder

Clarkie
March 23rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
I saw Shane in rehab the other day after his operations. Although he still has a lot to go through, he is a tough SOB and will handle it like the champion he is :)

Bartman
March 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
In one fell swoop he has out hardwared me, but anyway heal up fast and come back ripin again soon buddy.

Throttleroller277
March 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
ST is headed home today. He is doing good, and has been exercising as much as he can.

He appreciated everyone's support through this little setback.

nwatkins176
March 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear he is going home. Question though is that hardware in there for life? Or will that get removed after a while?

Throttleroller277
March 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
They'll leave it in there most likely. I know all of my hardware is in their for good.

cromer611
March 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
i hope they put red locktight on that stuff. cuz when shane gets back on the bike, that shit will back out cuz he is gonna be goin faster than evar

Bartman
March 31st, 2010, 07:24 AM
First time I saw my xrays like that I turned to the doctor and asked him why he did not countersink the screw heads, it just looked like it was done by a kid in shop class. :) I think Browny is right most likely it will stay in there as going back in to get it out is very invasive, they might take out a couple of screws down the road to put more stress on the bone to get it to heal.
From the look of it Shane will be a better barometer than I am, while I am typing I plan on doing a little fund raising for Shane and his family so I am planning on doing a curb side tech service. The way I plan on doing this is having a clipboard at tech and a donation box, you come by and put down your # and general pit location then I will come around the pits and get you taken care of. Looking at doing a 10$ or better if you choose per bike, standard rules apply of course so lowers still off and signed in with the VP before a sticker can be had.
Bartman

Jon
March 31st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Very creative and thoughtful there Bartman,
Do remember though that I usually park as far away from tech as humanly possible as to not offend anyone with my quite generator. I promise if you make the trek I'll make it worth your while by not failing more than the usual six times while donating generously to the cause. What's up with this lower off stuff and what the hell's a lower anyhow?

benfoxmra95
March 31st, 2010, 09:28 PM
i hope they put red locktight on that stuff. cuz when shane gets back on the bike, that shit will back out cuz he is gonna be goin faster than evar

They need drilled and Safety wired!

The GECCO
March 31st, 2010, 10:30 PM

They need drilled and Safety wired!

DIBS!! :twisted:

Bartman
March 31st, 2010, 11:03 PM
Very creative and thoughtful there Bartman,
Do remember though that I usually park as far away from tech as humanly possible as to not offend anyone with my quite generator. I promise if you make the trek I'll make it worth your while by not failing more than the usual six times while donating generously to the cause. What's up with this lower off stuff and what the hell's a lower anyhow?
Park as far away as you feel like Jon, I will have my scooter so no worries. While we are at it should we make people with bark and strugle generators park out in the boonies. :twisted: