PDA

View Full Version : AMA Adds TTX races!

Desmodromico
February 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39434

I know electric bikes are still kind of a novelty but the technology will move quickly and be driven by the advances in the auto industry as well...interesting stuff from the AMA, they need more of this and less of the talk about stuff like Sportster spec classes...

Jon
February 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah the environmentally friendly alternative.
After a bit of investigation of how ultimately friendly these alternatives are. What does it take to produce these batteries, where do they end up and lord knows what the effects are ultimately to our environment will be. Ahh hell I guess our kids will reap the rewards of our consumption of all our fossil fuels. Long live the dinosaurs!
Though I do look forward to the no stroke motor surpassing the four stroke engine. After some of the books on the subject of direct injected two strokes I'm not too sure their dead yet. Though in our world unless someone comes up with some significant proof alternatives fuels, batteries and etc will ultimately win the race. It's Obamaism

dave.gallant
February 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I can't wait.

They are racing Road America this year. I wonder if they will make it a full lap? :)

dragos13
February 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
What about the sweet smell of race gas in the morning :cry:

dave.gallant
February 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
What about the sweet smell of race gas in the morning :cry:

I will trade that to be able to keep my brain cells a few more minutes longer.

dragos13
February 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm sure after 30 years we'll find out the electric bikes are causing cancer lol. Either way, if they can make them competitive and affordable I think it would be pretty sweet.

Plus I can always use race fuel in my generator while I'm charging all my batteries :)

nwatkins176
February 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I read an article in a Jeep magazine talking about electric vehicles etc. They mentioned that the lithium for the batteries is only found in one former soviet country, Romania I think I am not sure. So if we went to a wide use of batteries wouldn't that make a worse situation then we have with oil in the middle east. That particular country could hold the entire world economically hostage. I think before Electric can go we need to find a material is has more availability to power the batteries. Also referring to Jon's post the disposal is currently a mess. Again I am referencing a Jeep magazine, so I can be totally off base.

dave.gallant
February 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Oy vey.

:roll:

Desmodromico
February 18th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Good points on the batteries but I know from the little inside info I have that development is onto things far beyond lithium-ion already so I'm sure a lot will change the next couple years.

I heard the Motocysz bike actually had more issues with the motors than the batteries at the Isle of Man.

dave.gallant
February 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Two words:

super caps.

Like I said; I can not wait!

nwatkins176
February 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Good points on the batteries but I know from the little inside info I have that development is onto things far beyond lithium-ion already so I'm sure a lot will change the next couple years.

I heard the Motocysz bike actually had more issues with the motors than the batteries at the Isle of Man.

I guess I should have thought about where you work. :)

Bartman
February 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I find it kinda silly, it seems that most people think that electricity comes clean out of the air just like meat comes in a nice little packages in the grocery store. Unless these race bikes come with their own windmill or hydro plant they are not zero emissions.