PDA

View Full Version : Sag set up video

Dodd
February 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I found this posted on Ducati.ms- I found it extremely usefull so I thought I'd share it.

http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/73/40/

Suspension set up has always baffled me, no matter how much I read about it and even watched Clint at Faster do my last Ducati. This video, however is very simple and informative. Its a little long, but a great watch.

Dodd

rcstylin
February 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Awesome Vid...thanks!

Jon
February 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
To all of you who are looking to shave seconds of your laptimes, the best, most in depth video training you can get IMO, is Traxxion Dynamics "Suspension for Mortals" video training course. It's a two DVD course that explains in depth, the fundamentals of suspension, bike set-up and why the two are way more important than HP.
Max uses diagrams, shocks, forks on real bikes as well as question and answer sessions to explain these fundamentals.
Either look in the back of RRW or hit me up because I used it years ago and have it to train my various helpers to help me think when I'm having a dilemma. I agree though that the On the Throttle videos are very good but this video training course is much more in depth and informative. So check it out if you've got the time.

jgixxer1
February 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Can a guy set sag while the bike is on race stands or will that throw off your numbers? (i.e. change the leverage on the swingarm translated to the rear spring)

I don't have a wheels chuck and it's only me and a buddy trying to set-up our bikes. With out a chuck do you definitly need a 3rd person or will race stands work?

dave.gallant
February 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Can a guy set sag while the bike is on race stands or will that throw off your numbers? (i.e. change the leverage on the swingarm translated to the rear spring)

I don't have a wheels chuck and it's only me and a buddy trying to set-up our bikes. With out a chuck do you definitly need a 3rd person or will race stands work?

Put the bike on the front stand as well to get it as level as possible. It will get you close, however when you set the static sag be careful not to pick the bike off the rear stand.

Note you can't do the front with this method; only the rear.

Determining your sag numbers is something that should take you under 5 minutes to do once you do it once. Once you get the right spring for the right track however and the bike is not misbehaving, you will find you don't mess with the preload often at all and will simply set the suspension based on what you see on your tire.

Clarkie
February 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Free sag is what it is all about, and it is VERY different with a hot shock to a cold one :wink:

rybo
February 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Free sag is what it is all about, and it is VERY different with a hot shock to a cold one :wink:

Free sag!!! WOOOHOOO!

What store? How do I get some? Do I really want it? What is a good brand? Do I need a coupon?

s

Clarkie
February 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mr Rose has a ton of it, not sure what he charges though :)

rybo
February 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mr Rose has a ton of it, not sure what he charges though :)

Do I need metric sag, or SAE sag?

Clarkie
February 21st, 2010, 09:04 AM
Just use hands, it works for horses :)

jgixxer1
February 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM

So is it best to set it after a TD session?