PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading to Phoenix

Jon
February 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Just wondering if anyones had any thoughts about heading down for round 2 at Firebird East?

oldtimer
February 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM
Jon we're thinking about the 3rd round in March, but it's on the main track. What do you think of that course? Thanks--Wyeth

Jon
February 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Personally I like it though it does have a couple potential safety issues such as mentioned in earlier posts. To see them and a layout of the track. Go to www. roadracesw.com and there's a video with Ray T. crashing during middleweight superbike. A pretty good video that shows you what you'll be seeing on the bike. The issues I see are out of the last turn onto the straight, like pueblo it's a drag race course and has a wall. Slick as hell first thing in the cold morning much better when warm. Least it was on the 1198! Then some mention turns three though I have never in my twenty years seen a problem, I guess Fred Merkels career ended because of that one. Regardless it's a fun loving bunch and a good time always. Just it's not Barber or HPR and don't be expecting a whole lot of elevation change.....none actually.
Later, JG

vort3xr6
February 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
The walls at main are scary. Not to mention all the bumps. It will test your suspension and cajones to the fullest.

Jon
February 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Well, I've never found it any scarier than Pueblo nor bumpier but then again what so I know after the last twenty or so years. What would you compare it to Vortex? Would you say scarier than Lajunta? Fact is once you've done a track day there you will have figured out where and where not to go as far as lines and never even come close to bottoming out. The wall in three, your pretty much straight up and down and parallel to it as you pass by and the one along the straight well, it's the same. You would never try and make a pass in either as it's not even an option.
Given the fun and sun of AZ this time of year opposed to hanging out and waiting for a day that's dry, calm and warm at HPR, I'm thinking there's a slightly better chance heading south. Though I do like HPR and feel it's safer, there's nothing wrong with Firebird main

vort3xr6
February 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Having not done pueblo yet, or ppir, I would have to say it was the first track I rode with actual walls close to you which can be a little weird if you are used to HPR or other safer tracks.

But like you said, there is rarely passing done in turn 3. Turns 9-11 can be dicey if you have an odd crash that goes straight for the hay bales and then like pueblo, coming on to the dragstrip sucks depending on the time of year. I rode it when it was 95 degrees and it sucked hitting the rubber spots.

Jon
February 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
A lot of peoples fears when it comes to racing are based on the fact that they become tunnel fixated. In other words their vision is too focused on a narrow sight line. It narrows the opportunities for passing and sometimes because of the existence of a wall or some other obstacle they become fixated on the obstacle and include it in their vision.
When I race, I tend to observe such obstacles in the warm up sessions (maybe a track day) while going slower then work out a line or lines to reduce the risk should something go awry. Once I get up to speed I never, ever even notice these obstacles, just the space a foot or so to the inside of it. I believe it allows me to get the most out of my field of vision I have, as far as reference points, braking, turning, apexes and etc. and ride without the fear that looking at a wall, pole or whatever may bring you.
Back in the day when we raced at Steamboat you couldn't help but notice the ten foot high hay bails, but I sure never focused on the building, ditches and etc behind them. Once when racing through the streets in Park City, coming down a hill into a residential area there were cars in the driveways, fire hydrants, mailboxes and etc. The only thing protecting us was the orange fencing like used in construction. There was this photographer who decided that shooting right at this point was a good idea. I, everytime coming down the hill would wheelie and every time buzzed by him with a foot or two to spare, he never flinched!, I hardly ever saw him, those there are some good photos though let me assure you

snay
February 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
A lot of peoples fears when it comes to racing are based on the fact that they become tunnel fixated. In other words their vision is too focused on a narrow sight line. It narrows the opportunities for passing and sometimes because of the existence of a wall or some other obstacle they become fixated on the obstacle and include it in their vision.
When I race, I tend to observe such obstacles in the warm up sessions (maybe a track day) while going slower then work out a line or lines to reduce the risk should something go awry. Once I get up to speed I never, ever even notice these obstacles, just the space a foot or so to the inside of it. I believe it allows me to get the most out of my field of vision I have, as far as reference points, braking, turning, apexes and etc. and ride without the fear that looking at a wall, pole or whatever may bring you.
Back in the day when we raced at Steamboat you couldn't help but notice the ten foot high hay bails, but I sure never focused on the building, ditches and etc behind them. Once when racing through the streets in Park City, coming down a hill into a residential area there were cars in the driveways, fire hydrants, mailboxes and etc. The only thing protecting us was the orange fencing like used in construction. There was this photographer who decided that shooting right at this point was a good idea. I every timeme coming down the hill would wheelie and every time buzzed by him with a foot or two to spare, he never flinched!, I hardly ever saw him, those there are some good photos though let me assure you

S.T Has talked about those races his face lights up with joy he misses the steam and pk city very cool