PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights or balance beads...?

OUTLAWD
January 31st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Just wondering what the preferred balancing method is amongst you racer types.

Thanks!

The GECCO
February 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM
The beads are a joke, IMO. At least one of the tire manufacturers will not honor the tire warranty if you use them.

Regular weights are the way to go. It's also best to balance the wheel w/o a tire on it, then mark those weights somehow so that when the trackside vendor knows not to strip them off. This helps in two ways - one, it saves your vendor time and materials, and two, it tells you exactly how far out of balance the TIRE is. If it takes too much weight to balance it could be an indicator of a manufacturing flaw.

OUTLAWD
February 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks! actually makes ALOT of sense.

and speaking of trackside vendors, i know vanmar is there with michelins, are b-stones, or other tires sold at the track during a race weekend?

rybo
February 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Dave,

Faster will sell b-stones at their shop, but won't be offering trackside service this year

Pirelli will be offered trackside bt Lithium motorspots for 2010

and I've heard a rumor about a Dunlop vendor trackside, but have nothing confirmed

See the above advice from Glenn on balancing, weights and beads. I agree with what he said.

Scott

OUTLAWD
February 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
hmm...maybe I'll convince my wallet that I should stick with the michelins for simplicity's sake...they seem to be the popular hides...

as far as balancing goes, I'm assuming there are some new fancy digital ones that people are using over the old ball bearing/spinning by hand setup? or are the manual rigs normally sufficient?

Thanks guys!

cromer611
February 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
im sure the lovely people in the vanmar pits would love to have beads everywhere when they change tires :oops:

nwatkins176
February 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am lost... WTF are tire beeds, how do those work?

rybo
February 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Neil

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Hotrod
February 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
im sure the lovely people in the vanmar pits would love to have beads everywhere when they change tires :oops:

Um... I'll pass... :P

Bartman
February 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Tire beads is like snake oil for your motor. Possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever, as far as balancing goes the best balance is done manually not by machine. I does take more talent to do it manual but all your tire vendors have done so many that most can do it blindfolded.
Bartman

nwatkins176
February 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Neil

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

So when you stop, these beads keep traveling through your tire. then when you go cintripicle force, forces them to the out side of the tire. Umm no thank you. Put my weights on and some black duct tape thank you.