PDA

View Full Version : Rule change *SUMMARY* for 2010

dragos13
January 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
2010 MRA Rule Changes

Class Changes:

1. Creation of the Superstreet class.
2.9 Superstreet class
The Superstreet class if for non-licensed riders only. Any racer possessing a valid roadracing license from any club is ineligible for this class. There are no trophies or season points for this class. A day license will be included in entry fees. AMA membership is required and can be obtained through the MRA on the day of the race.
a) Unlimited displacement, modifications and engine configurations.
b) Coolant: only water, Red Line Water Wetter, Royal Purple Ice (NOT Engine Ice or Evans coolant), or Silkolene Pro CCA coolant additives are allowed in liquid cooled motorcycles. Glycol based substances are prohibited. For the purpose of this rulebook, motorcycles which use engine oil as a primary cooling fluid are considered to be air-cooled.
c) Neat and clean. Motorcycles that are dirty or show potentially dangerous bodywork damage will not be approved.
d) Tires must be in good condition and may not be re-caps. Valve caps must be installed. Tread must be at least 50%.
e) All motorcycles must have operational front and rear brakes, with at least 50% thickness.
f) All motorcycles must have an operational handlebar-mounted kill switch or button.
g) All motorcycles must have a self-closing throttle.
h) All lights and blinkers must be taped or removed. Brake and taillights must be disconnected. Side mirrors must be removed.
i) Side stands can remain on bike but must have good working return spring.
j) Silicone brake fluid is not allowed (DOT 5 Brake Fluid).
k) An MRA provided decal will be displayed on both sides of the bike at least axle line high or higher.
l) All machines will be left to VP of Rules and Tech final approval.
m) All competitors must possess a current AMA membership.
n) Riders must meet requirements as defined in section 5.1 Rider Equipment.
o) All riders must conform to and have an understanding of Sections 8, 9, 10 and 11 of this rulebook.
p) The rider bears the responsibility of presenting a motorcycle in conformance with all requirements.
q) All motorcycles and rider equipment must pass MRA technical inspection before participating in any practice session, race or school.
r) The burden of complying with the rules regarding class suitability and technical requirements rests with the entrant. It is his/her responsibility to seek approval of the VP or Rules & Tech of any areas in question.
s) The VP of Rules & Tech or any MRA official reserves the right to inspect any race motorcycle or rider apparel or equipment at any time during race day for compliance to MRA technical standards and may revoke the Technical Inspection Approval Sticker of any motorcycle at any time during the race day.
t) Any motorcycle or rider involved in a crash will be subject to re-inspection. Damage that in any way endangers rider safety must be repaired prior to starting or continuing any further practice or competition.

2. Allow 250cc two stroke bikes to compete in STGTU
SuperTwins GTU
• Up to 750 cc two cylinder, four stroke
• Up to 250cc two stroke
• Unlimited displacement, two cylinder, four stroke, two valves per cylinder, air cooled
• Unlimited displacement single cylinder, four stroke.

3. Add 850cc twins to Middleweight Supersport:
2.2.3.A Middleweight Supersport
• Up to 600cc four cylinder
• Up to 650cc pre-1984 four cylinder
• Up to 850cc two or three cylinder
• Up to 904cc, two cylinder, four stroke, two valves per cylinder, air cooled
• Unlimited displacement pushrod, two cylinder, four stroke, two valves per cylinder, air cooled

4. Allow RoR GTU bikes to ride up in RoR GTO:
2.1.1.6 Race Of the Rockies GTO
• Unlimited displacement and origin
• All RoR GTO riders are required to possess a valid MRA license as per 3.2.D.4., and must have completed one full racing season as an expert class racer.

5. Limit two cylinder, four stroke, two valve air cooled for LWGP
• Up to 950cc two cylinder, four stroke, two valve per cylinder, air cooled

6. Limit two stroke, air cooled for LWGP
• Up to 200cc two stroke, air cooled

Procedure changes:

1. RoR GTU and GTO qualifying:
• RoR grids will be determined by race event qualifying. If race event qualifying is not able to take place or is cancelled, RoR grids will be determined as described above in section 7.2.C. It is the responsibility of each rider to qualify with the correct group and on the correct motorcycle. Racers that qualify in the wrong group will be placed at the back of the grid for the race based on accumulated points for the season. Racers who qualify on a motorcycle that is determined to be non-class-legal for the class qualifying, will be disqualified for that race, for that day.
• If a rider is unable to start a main event on the motorcycle with which he qualified, that rider may start the main event on a motorcycle other than the one used in qualifying provided the motorcycle meets the same class requirements. In this situation, the rider must notify the track officials and start the race behind the last occupied row on the starting grid based on accumulated points for the season.
• Riders participating in both RoR classes must qualify for each class in the appropriate session on the appropriate bike. Sessions will be held back to back and are considered valid after the half-way mark of the session has been reached. Riders failing to complete at least 1 qualifying lap during the allowed time will start the race behind the last occupied row on the starting grid based on accumulated points for the season.
• It is the riders responsibility to have the correct transponder on the bike he is qualifying with. Riders who fail to qualify with the correct transponder will result in no valid qualifying time, and will start the race behind the last occupied row on the starting grid, based on accumulated points for the season.

2. Forced upgrade of novices finishing top 10 in Amateur classes
• At the end of the season the top ten novice riders in points standings for either Novice GTU, Novice GTO, Amateur GTU, or Amateur GTO will be moved up to expert status.

3. Eliminate wiring of exhaust springs requirement
• Exhaust spring wiring now recommended, no longer required.

JimWilson29
January 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Great job Casey!

http://smiliesftw.com/x/rules.gif

rybo
January 20th, 2010, 09:04 AM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/rules.gif

^
Nice...that's totally Casey from here on out.

Casey, you should make that your avatar.

s

oldtimer
January 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Nice work Casey!

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
So, SuperTwins is basically the same but with the (re)addition of the 250s?

(Not sure who will remember this, but TZs were legal for TwinsU forever until a specific TZ kicked everyone's ass! :) )

Scored51
January 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM

(Not sure who will remember this, but TZs were legal for TwinsU forever until a specific TZ kicked everyone's ass! :) )

Yes, and the resulting change was to allow them into Lightweight GP! On a similar note, you wouldn't happen to know where I might find an R6 that can't keep it's crank together would you? :twisted:

Thank you for posting these Casey.

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Yes, and the resulting change was to allow them into Lightweight GP! On a similar note, you wouldn't happen to know where I might find an R6 that can't keep it's crank together would you? :twisted:

Thank you for posting these Casey.

I thought there was a proposal that was to allow 848s and 675s into TwinsU -- was that not approved?

T Baggins
January 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
that was not approved.

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
that was not approved.

But we did approve kicking 250s out of LW just to put them right back where they were for years (TwinsU?)

(Note to self: Get me a 250 again and see if I can get a rule named after me like Jurgie did)

T Baggins
January 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
the intent of the rule change (in essence) was to make LWGP a real lightweight class - primarily limited to the "street going twins" - or at least making "them" the class of the field. Basically a safe haven for SV's and Kawi 650's. A "competent" rider on a TZ should have dominated the class the past few years. Thankfully we don't have any competent riders on TZ's in the club. :oops: If it's successful, I'd like to see us gradually scale back on the mods allowed - and someday, maybe, have a legitimate production based lightweight twins class...

adding the 848's and 675's to STU had no real merit, and wasn't in the spirit of the class. 848's are already competitive at the MW level, as are the 675's - and they have plenty of places to race.

that was the jist of the discussion anyway.

hcr25
January 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I think I have 3 or 4 rules after me, no good ones though

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
the intent of the rule change (in essence) was to make LWGP a real lightweight class - primarily limited to the "street going twins" - or at least making "them" the class of the field. Basically a safe haven for SV's and Kawi 650's. A "competent" rider on a TZ should have dominated the class the past few years. Thankfully we don't have any competent riders on TZ's in the club. :oops: If it's successful, I'd like to see us gradually scale back on the mods allowed - and someday, maybe, have a legitimate production based lightweight twins class...

adding the 848's and 675's to STU had no real merit, and wasn't in the spirit of the class. 848's are already competitive at the MW level, as are the 675's - and they have plenty of places to race.

that was the jist of the discussion anyway.

I have renewed faith in our rule-making capabilities. Bravo!

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM

I think we can get around the "horn removal" one by using a CO2 airhorn, no?? :D

( Mikey - we need us some SVs once again! :) )

hcr25
January 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM

I think we can get around the "horn removal" one by using a CO2 airhorn, no?? :D

Yep, air horns are legal and we do need to get some SV's.
Would be great to have you back at there!

gsnyder828
January 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM

OK, I the "horn rule" I knew about... now I'm curious, what are the other 2-3?

(and I agree - you and Mike need some SVs again)

JWinter
January 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Have we settled on prices for the streetbike class? And are we doing the Saturday one hour meeting with those riders for each weekend? I have two meetings set up to present the streetbike class rules and costs to the locals up north.

Jeff

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Have we settled on prices for the streetbike class? And are we doing the Saturday one hour meeting with those riders for each weekend? I have two meetings set up to present the streetbike class rules and costs to the locals up north.

Jeff

For you or a non-member to race?

I believe current MRA racers can not race that class?

hcr25
January 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Semi officially unofficial cause my name is not in the rule book

1. The horn rule is mine because in 05 when Davey and I were racing SV's I left the stock horn on my bike and used it on occasion during LW endurance when lapping the MW riders

2. Transponders on the fork leg because in a race at Pueblo my transponder was on my my fork leg. (I did this because i thought it was a safer place to have it mounted) Tony Bakers was on his tail section. He beat me by half a bike length photo type finish but I was scored in front of him because of transponder location. A rule was then made that it had to be mounted on the tail section behind the rider. After many were lost or damaged from crashing or Davey kicking his off his bike, the rule was changed again to have it on the fork leg.

3. There is a rule about being losing consciousness at a race. In 2005 I had a big crash in ROR at La Junta and got knocked out. When I was in the ambulance Glenn said I answered all the questions correctly. Problem was I had know idea i did or that i crashed. I talked Roberta into helping me put my leathers on and raced my SV later in the day. That being said I started from the last row in HW supersport (think i was 3rd in points at the time) and i pulled off after 2 laps. I didnt have an incident on the track but I shouldnt have been out there.

4. Numbers on the helmet because I was borrowing several bike with different numbers and if I crashed and my number was on my helmet they would know it was me and not think it was the owner of the bike. Also in a multi bike crash it is faster to get info this way compared to
trying to figure out who belonged to which bike.

Now these rules may not be solely because of me but i think I influenced them in a big way. :)
Mike

T Baggins
January 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Maybe Casey will post up a thread in the New Riders Area with the rules summary for the Superstreet Class? nudge nudge, wink wink...

JWinter
January 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Dave, no I am not interested in the class. I have a ton of friends up north that for some reason or another don't want to do the full race thing. But most of them have expressed a lot of interest in the streetbike class and I am trying to do my part by hosting a couple public meetings to present the info about the class and answer questions that potential riders have.

Jeff