PDA

View Full Version : motor shipping question- need advice

talladega
January 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I have sold a motor (contingent on shipping) and need to have this packaged and shipped to Conneticut. Anybody out there know how best to do this?

It is a 1964 Ducati 160cc so size is relatively small/light, however obviously need to protect the new owners investment. Are there providers who can do this? Should I build a "crate" myself? USPS? UPS? Air Freight?

I know there are some internet forum motor junkie purchasers out there who MUST know? Hook a brotha up...

marty
January 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
i have heard of some folks shipping their 125 motors in large tupperware containers and wrapped with lots of bubble wrap.

all the same i would make sure to insure it. even the best packaging job is susceptible to a forklift

rybo
January 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM
i have heard of some folks shipping their 125 motors in large tupperware containers and wrapped with lots of bubble wrap.

all the same i would make sure to insure it. even the best packaging job is susceptible to a forklift

I shipped an FZR400 motor this way once, it worked well. Lots of cardboard and bubble wrap. If all of the fluids are out then UPS, FED EX and DHL will all handle them.

s

PremiumBlend
January 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have sold a motor (contingent on shipping) and need to have this packaged and shipped to Conneticut. Anybody out there know how best to do this?

It is a 1964 Ducati 160cc so size is relatively small/light, however obviously need to protect the new owners investment. Are there providers who can do this? Should I build a "crate" myself? USPS? UPS? Air Freight?

I know there are some internet forum motor junkie purchasers out there who MUST know? Hook a brotha up...

I shipped an F4i motor and honestly the easiest way to ship was UPS freight and just build the crate yourself. It was about $50 in material and took no time at all really.

clowe
January 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
Rubbermaid tub is the way to go. I ship my 750 and 1000 motors in one. You need to get the 20 gallon one, load it up with foam, pillows, cardboard, bubble wrap, anything you can find to make it nice and soft. then when you put the top on, drill a bunch of holes and zip-tie the hell out of it. Also, insure the hell out of it. Fed-Ex did damage one of my motors ones and they had a check to me in under a week.

Blue Junk
January 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm with everyone else. I have done this about 12 times or more. Get a big rubbermaid tub and 4-5 of the largest cheapest pillows they have from Wally World, and ship it. Lately I have been banding it to a pallet before shipping.

Lately I have been sending them from Salt Lake to Georgia for $70, with 3 day service on YRC.

LMsports
January 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I have received motors in the large plastic tubs and they seem to arrive ok. I personally build a wooden crate (cheap and easy) and send them FedEx freight. We get large discounts and if you need help I can send you a label to send it that way if you are willing to pay the actual cost of shipping. Let me know.