PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Questions/ New Racer

LordLosh
January 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Going to try Racing this year. I went out and bought a trailer Friday, going to put a deposit down on a very very nice race bike tomorrow. Will still have a little money left over for some gear but not enough for a complete set. I printed out my registration forms. So now i need guidance and teaching. I'm really nervous and excited at the same time. nervous I'm going to suck at the one thing i really want to be good at, and excited that I'm actually going to be able to race.
Little info about me. I'm 23 ride a 2008 gsxr 1000. Started out on dirt bikes. then when i was 18 bought a 2001 SV650S. rode it every day i could. I have always loved anything with two wheels, but i really love sport bikes. when i graduated and got a good job i treated myself to the bike i have now. Next Friday I'm going to go buy a 2007 gsxr600 from a local racer. It is totally ready to race besides needing a new frame slider and some new tires.

I need help with suit sizing? I have gained a little wait over the winter like most people do and I'm trying to lose it. But as i stand now I'm about 5-11" 195lbs with a 34" waist. Where is the best place locally to buy or maybe try on some suits??

Next question is i would like to have some 1 on 1 time with a skilled or experienced rider before i take my MRA classes in April. how much ruffly is this going to cost me and what suggestions do you guys have on who i should ask?

Last i would like any advice, suggestions or tips anyone could offer. Did i miss anything or leave something out that i need to get on right away before its to late. I'm hoping i can buy the transponder with the bike next Friday. I will get suit, boots, gloves, new helmet, back protector soon. I'm going to start going to all meetings and I'm going to volunteer to work at the awards dinner/show to try and get to know some of you and get used to spending my weekends with yea! Thanks for any and all help. Sorry this is so long "did i mention i was excited" :lol:

dragos13
January 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the MRA!

It sounds like you have everything pretty well lined up. I have a couple suggestions:

Try to get sponsorship. Whether you are going for large companies or local bike shops, start applying. Even if you land 10-20% off for your OEM parts, thats better then nothing when you find yourself in the middle of a rebuild.

Find some other solo riders and pit together. Figure things out as a small group or team, its alot better then doing it on your own. Of course if that isn't possible, you can always ask just about anyone it the pits for help. This club knows how important new riders are plus we all start in your spot at one point.

Save up money and start setting it aside if possible. You might come into a major repair or something like that. Plus racing will almost always cost more then what you imagine. You can try to cover every detail but unexpected expenses are just part of the game.

I hope that helps you out. I'm sure others will post up soon to address your other questions. If I can help anymore let me know.

oldtimer
January 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Congrats on deciding to go racing this year, you're going to love it! I think you're being smart by working the banquet and coming to meetings, you're going to make so many contacts by doing so.

To answer your question I recommend Performance Cycle on Broadway for suits, they have a large in house selection. www.performancecycleco.com

Getting riding instruction is the best way to progress, here are some suggestions for you. For sure we'll see you at one of the New Racer Schools in April.

MRA New Racer Schools
www.mra-racing.org
MRA hot line # 303-530-5678

Chicane Track Days
www.ChicaneTrackDays.com

Vanmar Motorcycle School Mark Schellinger
303-944-0334

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School
www.rickyorlando.com

Go4It Racing Schools Mike Pettiford
www.go4itservices.com

Jason Pridmore’s STAR school
www.starmotorcycle.com

High Plains Raceway Lapping Days
www.highplainsraceway.com
Track hot line # 303-769-4771

Pueblo Motorsports Park Track Days
www.pueblomotorsportspark.net
Track hot line # 719-547-7721

IMI Motorsports track time
www.imimotorsports.com
Track hot line # 303-286-1813

Also know that all of us Rider Reps are happy to ride with you at the track. We'll work with anyone who needs help and offer tips. Look for my number at the track #145 Wyeth Jackson. The other Rider Reps are Casey Dragos #901, Jeff Brown #277, Jim Wilson #28, any of us will help you.

See you at the banquet!

Wyeth

vort3xr6
January 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I am in the same boat as you except I have a done a few more track days and mock races. I am picking up some parts for the bike tomorrow and then I will be set up for racing next year. I just need to find somebody to pit with cause I don't have a generator. Although the huge trailer I will be using may have one.

T Baggins
January 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Faster Motosports had a decent selection of suits last time I was in there.

T Baggins
January 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10048

used always costs less...

Throttleroller277
January 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Most Suit manufactures have a sizing chart, to help you get a proper fit, you'll need someones help measuring your dimensions.

Also keep in mind that most all of them fit different, even though they say the same size on the tag. So, if an Alpinestars suit fits you great, don't go ordering a Spidi suit of the same size without trying one on first.

And yes, if you see myself or the other Rider Reps that Wyeth mentioned above, we'll glad help you out on or off track.

~Jeff Brown AKA "Brownie", #277

LordLosh
January 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
OK I'm going to go to some local shops and try some on to see what size fits me. Now next question is where can i get a transponder????? Also what you guys think of these leathers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Leather-Racing-Suit-MST-90-US-42_W0QQitemZ390144902501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApparel _Merchandise?hash=item5ad672c565

Price is nice but I'm afraid i will get what i pay for and end up paying the bill with my skin. say's
Top quality leather (grade A)1.1-1.2mm but i dono wants the specs on say an apline suit?

LordLosh
January 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah and Tire warmers? Are these something at my riding skill level will notice or even need this year?? If so do you think id be alright if i just ran them off a power converter from my truck?

marty
January 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
i would say the two places you want to spend the $ will be quality tires and quality gear. those leather MAY be fine, but i would prefer to go tumbling at 100mph in leathers that are name brand and have shown a large commitment to rider safety over several years. rs tai chi, alpinestars, spdi, etc are all great brands. if you want something more custom, i would hit up nate butler

as an aside, it isn't required, but i also prefer to wear a chest protector also. i like the knox and impact armor systems the best

i don't run warmers on my 125, but on a 600 i would think most folks would say they are a must. eric cromer ran his off his truck last year and he seemed to fair okay out on the grids :D

JMO

LordLosh
January 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Great one more thing to my list. anyone know of any good deals? Also this would be a good armor choice right?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/643/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Vest.aspx

It just does not say CE Certified so i dont know? So should i just go with one of the alpine star vest's?

marty
January 18th, 2010, 07:03 PM
check out these guy's site. they have lots of video with safety gear, leathers, armor, etc. nice guys to deal with also. as for vests, i tried the dianese full upper torso and it held up great though 10 or so crashes. it was just a bit of work to get in and out of my gear between races.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

loujr
January 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
http://stores.303cycles.com/StoreFront.boks

The guys at 303 are good and local. Hit them up see what they can do for you. Always have taken care of me, super fast, and great prices.

GSXRScott
January 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Also what you guys think of these leathers?

I think the suit I have for sale is cheaper, tougher and is gaurenteed to make you look more attractive to the opposite sex. :)

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh401/GSXRScott/GPX2520Scuff2.jpg

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh401/GSXRScott/GPX1.jpg

T Baggins
January 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Great one more thing to my list. anyone know of any good deals? Also this would be a good armor choice right?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/643/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Vest.aspx

It just does not say CE Certified so i dont know? So should i just go with one of the alpine star vest's?

I got my tire warmers from Tenn2Cycle http://www.tenn2cycles.com/ don't know if there is a local distributor though.

Understanding that cost is always a consideration - buy the best protective gear you can find/afford. Also, whenever possible buy from local shops or vendors. They support the MRA, and will stand behind the product. Or buy used from another racer. Generally speaking you'll save money and get good information and possibly a new friend out of the deal.

Desmodromico
January 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
As mentioned make sure you do a little digging on who might be willing to provide some sponsorship before you lay down a bunch of dough. Saving 15-25% on gear and parts makes it a lot easier and allows you to get quality stuff.

I regret paying as much as I did for lots of parts or tweaks, but I never regret buying good gear. Go to the max for your budget there and stay with proven name-brand stuff, your arse is worth more than fleabay!!

GSXRScott
January 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
There's probably been a meelion threads on this but how do you go about getting sponsorship when you dont have any races under your belt? I've been told by a few CCS guys that you really need to have a season or two to put on your resume in order to get sponsorship.

Throttleroller277
January 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
There's probably been a meelion threads on this but how do you go about getting sponsorship when you dont have any races under your belt? I've been told by a few CCS guys that you really need to have a season or two to put on your resume in order to get sponsorship.

You can at least start by Putting together a little something about yourself, past accomplishments, your goals, how you can represent them or their product, season schedule, etc.....

Give me a call if you'd like and I can you some ideas. 303-210-0425

dragos13
January 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
You can definitely obtain sponsors your novice year. I think I had more sponsors my novice year then any year since then.

The main concept, as Brownie mentioned, is how can you market their product. There are many ways to do this so just get creative and be proactive. Talk about the amount of racers you will see on the race weekends, hand out fliers in the pits, put stickers on your bike and truck, reference their company on forums like the CSC and MRA.

Sometimes, the newer racers are the ones that take time to promote products where as some fast experts get sponsorship because they are on podium. You dont have to be the fastest guy or have years of experience to land deals. Get your resume together, talk about how you can get "THEIR" name in the heads of other potential customers. Be creative and get on the ball now. Many companies have already stopped accepting resumes for the 2010 season but you can still try. There is nothing to loose, and anyone who says you can't do it as a first year novice either doesn't know or just hasn't tried.

Shoot me a PM as well if you need more help then Brownie can offer (which is unlikely as he is the one who got me started my novice year) 8)

LordLosh
January 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I just want to focus on my riding then promoting, Although I would take tire sponsorship or discount :) i think i got just about everything in line. still not 100% on transponder or Suit. But I'm going to go try some suits on this weekend to give me a starting point on at least where in general with most suits i will be, because I'm kinda of a fat kid trapped in a small frame. then i will check for some used ones. So here is what i got so far vs what i need PLEASE tell me if I'm forgetting something Thanks
Have
• Trailer with ramp, straps and fire extinguisher
• 2007 gsxr600 bike needs tires frame slider and my race number on it
• Boots going to try and buy Gripped used boots if they fit
• Back protector/chest armor
• Helmet
• Gauntlet Style Gloves
• Tools
• Stands for bike
Still Need
• Good Suit
• Tire warmers “Got a guy that has them for sale, just don’t know if I got the money right now”
• Transponder
• Tires for bike “I think I have some need to check with you guys 1st tho”
• Battery tender
• Good fuel tanks for race/mix fuel

marty
January 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I just want to focus on my riding then promoting, Although I would take tire sponsorship or discount :) i think i got just about everything in line. still not 100% on transponder or Suit. But I'm going to go try some suits on this weekend to give me a starting point on at least where in general with most suits i will be, because I'm kinda of a fat kid trapped in a small frame. then i will check for some used ones. So here is what i got so far vs what i need PLEASE tell me if I'm forgetting something Thanks
Have
• Helmet
• Gauntlet Style Gloves
• Tools
• Stands for bike
Still Need
• Good Suit
• Tire warmers “Got a guy that has them for sale, just don’t know if I got the money right now”
• Transponder
• Battery tender

get a canopy and something to tie it down. many of the sporting goods store sell a warranty, you will want to buy one because the wind will definitely destroy one or two throughout the year

safety wire and some wire, zip ties and duct tape are a must

tequila-it will help you make friends after the races

generator for your tire warmers and a good extension cord

tire guage and air tank

not necessary but some sleeved under armor helps get the leathers off and on easier

i'm sure there are others but that is a quick list

dave.gallant
January 19th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Here are some money saving tips:

Don't run race gas. It is a waste of $ at first.

Don't touch the motor of your bike. It is fast enough(!).

Run every single race you are legal for. Seat time is worth more than its weight in gold.

Bring more water and gatorade than you think you need.

Most importantly, remember to HAVE FUN. It will feel hectic at first, so slow down and remember to enjoy yourself. :)

LordLosh
January 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah on the race fuel thing i'm going to get the bike re mapped so i can actually put the regular fuel in it. I might mix or add some treatment to it just so i know the fuel is good.

LordLosh
January 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Have
• Helmet
• Gauntlet Style Gloves
• Tools
• Stands for bike
Still Need
• Good Suit
• Transponder
• Battery tender

get a canopy and something to tie it down. many of the sporting goods store sell a warranty, you will want to buy one because the wind will definitely destroy one or two throughout the year

safety wire and some wire, zip ties and duct tape are a must

tequila-it will help you make friends after the races

generator for your tire warmers and a good extension cord

tire guage and air tank

not necessary but some sleeved under armor helps get the leathers off and on easier

i'm sure there are others but that is a quick list

I gave up drinking this year to save money for this, but i got a very large bottle of crown I'd be happy to share with some of you guys

sikwitit
February 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
What up!! go to performance and try some suits on. When you get fit, buy the suit online. Sportbiketrackdear.com is a dope site. Great website, easy to go through. Anyway, my name is Wesley by the way. You can always pit with me and my boy Nik. We can help you out on whatever you want to know.

wEs

sikwitit
February 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Oh and STG also has great Michelin prices

LordLosh
February 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Got an SG1 Suit for 430 bucks fits perfect. got some SP-2 gloves and a bonic S-2 jacket with back protector. May be a little much on shoulder protection. Very hard to get that on with suit kinda hinders my movement too. Oh and a AFX 1000 helmet. My stuff is a little miss matched color wise but i don't really care I'm their to race not win a fashion award. Got most of my stuff from sport bike track gear . com great site i must agree.
I just took my bike to Faster and told them to Fix everything and put some tires on so we will see how the tires i get work.

LordLosh
February 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah and thanks Wes i guess i will kinda need to pit with some one this year to show me the ropes

CaneZach
February 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Losh, I wish I had seen your thread. I'm selling an SG-1 with somewhere between 600 and 900 miles on it. I would've tossed in a used once back protector as well. If you want, we can pit together this year and learn together.

Scored51
February 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Oh yeah and Tire warmers? Are these something at my riding skill level will notice or even need this year?? If so do you think id be alright if i just ran them off a power converter from my truck?

Welcome LordLosh. I haven't seen anyone else attack this question in two pages and I don't want you possibly left stranded at the end of the day. The need for tire warmers can vary dependent on tire manufacturer. The Michelins do warm up quickly, but the Bridgestones seem to require a preheat. This may also be something you can grow into because of the attention it will require to sort out when to turn them on/off in order to hit a slightly shifting raceday schedule due to the things that come up or fall down during the day. I would also argue that as a beginner the grand you're going to drop on setting up tire warmers could be better spent on training, lapping days, or even instruction. The last could even teach you why you needed the warmers. :)

As for running warmers off an inverter, I don't know of anyone who is currently doing so. The warmers will use around 1000 watts of power which is roughly 10 amps/hour. I doubt that your truck will have the capacity while idling to sufficiently charge it's own battery, handle this additional load, and other items you may need to plug in during the raceday. Therefore, you'll probably need another battery source other than the vehicle's primary one. The other big issue you'll need to answer for this is the quality of the inverter. If you can get by with a modified sine wave unit, cool - but you won't be able to run any electronic devices. If you need a pure sine wave inverter it will be cheaper to buy a generator and make noise like the rest of us. The good news is that if you do find a buddy to pit with, you'll be able to run a few sets of warmer off his generator! Problem solved.

The reason racers use a generator is because it works. Hope this helps.

The GECCO
February 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
As much as I agree with Chris that seat time and instruction are money WELL spent, sacrificing tire warmers to do so is a fine line. The NEED for tire warmers from a speed perspective may not be there initially, but the warmers can easily pay for themselves by preventing a crash that is simply the result of cold tires.

Oh, and bag the inverter idea. 1000 watts is a very conservative estimate of warmer draw, I'm betting that 1500-1800 is more realistic. An inverter this size is as much or more than the cost of a 2500 watt generator. Also, as Chris said, an idling vehicle won't provide sufficient power, plus you run the risk of burning up your alternator in the process.

polar x
February 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Since Jon has not been here to throw out the SILENCE is golden banner, I will.
BUY A QUITE GENERATOR. Honda, Yamaha...something that is quite so as not to disturb your neighbors. Everyone will love you for it, the generator will last a longtime and you will be able to hear the announcements for your races. :wink:

vort3xr6
February 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
I searched the brand name but could not find quite generators.

JK! I agree. Or get a 50 foot extension and put the generator next to someone else.

polar x
February 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I searched the brand name but could not find quite generators.

JK! I agree. Or get a 50 foot extension and put the generator next to someone else.

Yup, thats my way of dealing with it to....only because I had one before Jon started his one man war on noise....lol If I ever replace it, it will be with a quite one.
Welcome to the club. 8)

LordLosh
February 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Well i bought a generator but my funds did not allow for a quite one. I got a 50ft extension cord though lol. I appreciate all the help guys. I cant really afford anything else right now but tire warmers are on the list. I think really all i need is tire warmers and a transponder. But i have no money left over from everything that i already got. My bike is at faster getting more work done and the cost on its going to be pretty high considering everything they did so yeah i gotta save. I do plan on taking some classes some time during the year if funds allow, after i go through class and have a race or two under my belt.

random hero
February 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Just stumbled across this thread, I'll give my 2 cents.
A) Get to know your bike very well, learn how to do the maintenance on it, go over and over parts and functions of things.... Get to know it well, because at the track, stuff will go wrong and your SOL taking it to a shop to get fixed.

B) How much track time/track experience do you have? I found going from trackdays, to novice races could be overwhelming. You've got 30-60 bikes lined up, people who's adrenaline is running 10000mph, guys who are damn fast riding with you... It can be overwhelming if you've not been around it a whole lot, you can get sucked into things quick.

C) Don't spend $1 on performance parts, none of those fancy parts will help you go faster. If you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket, get to a lapping day at HPR, it's all about seat-time, seat-time, seat-time. EDIT..... If your bike doesn't already have it, buy a Brembo brake master, that's 1 thing that can, and will make your life easier in more ways than 1.

I've been in your shoes, rode with ama champions at trackdays, and found myself shitting my pants in novice races... that being said, it's such a fun thing, I'm looking very forward to racing this year... My advice would be don't get sucked into buying parts, or having to have the "best" of everything. Reality is your going to crash that bike in the process of getting faster... Seat time, some good instruction will be your best friend right now. Get a day or two in before the season starts on that bike for sure, you will be completely overwhelmed showing up to your first race weekend, learning everything PLUS the bike. I made that very mistake last year, 6 laps into the first race weekend I left in an ambulance w/a broken shoulder, missed the rest of the year.

Lastly, find some good people to pit with. Coming from the CMRA, these guys have been fantastic so far. Very friendly and eager to help... I'd be more than happy to pit with you and help anyway I can... shoot me an email if you'd like: wuckert135@gmail.com