PDA

View Full Version : what classes would I run an FZR 400 in as a newbie?

davy4575
January 15th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Ive always loved these bikes and am thinkin about using one as a race bike. What class(es) would best suit that size bike for an amature? IE: Do I end up running with modern 600's or is there a class for idiots on older small light bikes :D

rybo
January 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Davy,

I raced a FZR400 for a bunch of years in the MRA. There are a few classes it works "ok" in.

As a novice racer technically you're limited to the following classes:

Novice GTU
Novice GTO
Amateur GTU
Amateur GTO
Endurance
Sportsman

The bike will do OK in LW endurance and sportsman, but be seriously outclassed by the 600's in the other classes.

If you talk with our new rider director he may allow you to race it in some of the other classes where it actually works a little better. The bike is legal in the following expert classes:

Lightweight GP
Modern Vintage GTU
Modern Vintage GTO

I had pretty good luck in the vintage classes with mine. The LW class is also a pretty good class for the bike.

One thing to remember about racing here is the altitude. We lose about 10% of the HP available to the bikes just by having less air. That makes a bike that's underpowered to begin with even more underpowered here. I loved racing my 400, it's one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned, but it's hard to be fully competitive one one.

Welcome to the club, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Scott

N1K
January 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Are we still gonna have sportsman? I thought superstreet was taking its place

dragos13
January 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Superstreet is an additional class, and is not substituting sportsman or any other current class.

Sportsman will still be available to licensed riders that are running slower then the cutoff time.

N1K
January 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Oh ok

oldtimer
January 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Great bike!

JWinter
January 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
A 400 would be really good in LWT GP, LWT End, and Vintage U. Plus there is an allowance for over bore in those lwt classes (565cc I think).If you are a newbie to racing don't be to worried about being competitive right away. Developing your technique is more important and as you develop your skills then worry about being competitive. Rybo is fast and that can be attributed to the fact that he did race a small bike for so long.

Remember racing is to be fun! Don't get caught up with bigger or more power is better. You have to crawl before you can walk.

Welcome to a whole new world,

Jeff