PDA

View Full Version : Generator question

glenngsxr
December 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
My dad just bought a generator and he wants to put a pipe on it to quiet it down a bit. Any ideas? Do he use a 2 stroke type pipe or a small 4 stroke type pipe? Any help appreciated.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
December 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
My dad just bought a generator and he wants to put a pipe on it to quiet it down a bit.
What kind of generator is it? Keep in mind a lot of generator noise can come from things other than the exhaust - like the fan, intake, various metal surfaces (that are vibrating), etc.

Jon
December 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I would be surprised if it didn't originally come with a pipe (I assume you mean muffler) in the first place. But then again if he bought it from someone in the MRA it was probably removed for the performance gains they thought they might realize :?
I would go online and find the company who originally produced it, plug in the year, make and model and order a replacement muffler. Then once that's done go through and tighten every nut and bolt on it.
Loud generators will drive you and your neighbors nuts and though there still a few companies out there that produce socially unexceptable ones most have become more quite.

Jon
December 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Another fix that's used quite often is to just get a really long extension cord and put it in your neighbors yard :lol:

jplracing
December 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Another fix that's used quite often is to just get a really long extension cord and put it in your neighbors yard :lol:

Glenn...just put it next to Jon's trailer on race day...he will be forever grateful!

Tornado
December 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Just buy a Honda!!!! :D :D

Throttleroller277
December 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM

Glenn...just put it next to Jon's trailer on race day...he will be forever grateful!

Just put it in Shane Turpin's pit :shock: 8)

PremiumBlend
December 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm

Try that maybe...

glenngsxr
December 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Its a 7500 watt Honda. Brand new. It's not too loud, like some I have heard, but he wants to put some kind of muffler on there to quiet it down some more.

Jon
December 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Build a large enclosed box with a vent window and then put it next to someone else's trailer.
There is a reason I bring a large pair of cutters to the track and they AIN'T for safety wire.
Seriously he could for not much more had a Honda EU series generator. They can be used for powering a pit, a house and can even been taken camping. They last forever and are much much greatly appreciated by neighboring campers when camping, workers when working and racers when racing. Northern Tool will split payments up on CC so that you can pay for it over time interest free. I can't for the life of me figure out why there's so much noise in this overly noisy world already.
Once you guys have children, have been around enough noise for about twenty more years you and your hearing will maybe understand. Until then I will continue to sing the praises of QUITE GENERATORS. I just sold another one to Marty Hester and I'm parking next to him this year!

Tornado
December 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am trying to remember the last time I wanted QUIET!! and went to a race track for it. :lol: :lol:

rybo
December 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is QUITE an interesting thread about QUIET generators... :lol:

Mark Schellinger
December 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Right... whenever Shane wants quite he goes and gets his quite wife Dawn.

Wow that is quiet a bike Shane has for sale.

Hmm a little peace and quite for Shane.

Is "quite" some kinda slang for the word "quiet",
must be Utah slang.

Shane next time at the Yamaha school I tell you to be quiet,
I hope you know QUITE what I mean.

Shane have I told you lately "I'm quite in love with ya"

xoxo

marty
December 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I just sold another one to Marty Hester and I'm parking next to him this year!

jon don't forget what bikes i run, even my friends don't like to pit next to me :lol: :lol:

thanks again for the gen set, at least it won't make huge clouds of smoke and be noisy as all hell :twisted:

Tornado
December 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Sorry I am such a UTARD!!!! :oops: :oops:

longrider
December 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Its a 7500 watt Honda. Brand new. It's not too loud, like some I have heard, but he wants to put some kind of muffler on there to quiet it down some more.

A new Honda is going to be as well muffled as is possible. It must be one of the industrial/commercial models which do have a fair amount of mechanical noise. Your only real option would be a housing but if you build one rather than buy it be very careful with having enough ventilation, this usually requires an exhaust fan over one of teh vents. Without this you can very easily cook your generator

Throttleroller277
December 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Mine is a yamaha 3000. Every bit as quiet as the Honda. I have had both. Either way they are worth the money if you can swing it....

turbohoje
December 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
hahah i like the "extension cords are cheaper than pipes" idea. thats pretty funny.

i was messing around with putting my r6 slip on thing on a genny once, it made a little bit of a diff.

you could prbly hacksaw a car muffler off something in the junkyard/parking lot and have some success with that. i dont know how difficult it is to weld a flange to make it bolt up to the genny tho.