PDA

View Full Version : superbike tail legal for supersport?

toptier
December 20th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Is a superbike tail supersport legal?

joe859
December 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
The rule book says:
k. Seat, seat base, and associated bodywork.

1. These may be replaced with parts similar in appearance to the original stock parts.

So,a superbike tail with a seat pad would fit this description. Bart would have to chime in here, since he has the final word.

toptier
December 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
that is exactly why I was asking.

T Baggins
December 21st, 2009, 08:33 AM
"similar in appearance" is the difference. this has come up in the past, and most often the tail is disallowed. why not run with a "supersport" style and be sure?

dragos13
December 28th, 2009, 07:16 AM
In 2008 I ran a superbike tail in the supersport classes with no issues. The way the rules are set up, its impossible for the VP of Tech to inspect every supersport bike for infractions, so you will pass there. Instead, this is left up to the riders to protest when needed.

I had no problem because I wasn't taking points from any of the fast guys since I wasn't in the top 5 anyways. Now, if you find yourself battling for points, and someone wants to use the rulebook to get you off the grid and claim your spot then it will have to be protested. At that time, you might find yourself getting fined or loosing points.

I swore by the superbike tail until last season. I then ran a normal supersport tail with stock seat, just to be sure no one could take my season away based on a protest. Like tony said, be safe and run the standard tail and seat. Just the fact that its called a "superbike" tail could make for a good arguement as to why its illegal.

Im my opinion, the superbike tail with foam padding does resemble stock in appearance but you could likewise argue its definitely not the same.