PDA

View Full Version : Need to know if people would do this?

PremiumBlend
December 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
My cousins and family are close to the Bandimere family... I know people want to practice their launches but I'm assuming you really don't get to do that very often. I was brainstorming, would people be interested in doing "Test and Tunes" on Wed nights?

I would just like to get a round number of people who would find this appealing. It's $30 and you can race your bike from 4-9pm... and between that time you can race until you can't hold yourself up anymore or your bike blows up.

I ran my 04 600RR up there and after about 8 or 9 launches I was literally shaving full tenths off of my 60 foot times. I ended up doing a personal best on that bike (w/o a wheelie bar or lowered) of 11.78 @ 117mph. It was a blast and I can't wait to do it again.

All of our race bikes will pass Bandimere's tech just fine, the only thing we might get dinged on is not having "chain guards". Other than that, good to go.

I'm HOPING if there is enough interest we can work out some sort of deal with Sporty to donate $XX proceeds to the MRA on Wed "Test and Tune" nights.

So what do you think? Say "I" if you would be interested... and if it is something worth looking at next season.

mtrain
December 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Personally, I would want to work on launches at one of the tracks we normally run, cause you could work on turning left and right too.

Mtrain.

Moto-Mania
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
I live close enough to hear the Pro Nationals from my deck.
Sounds like fun.
How's your clutch holding up?

PremiumBlend
December 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I live close enough to hear the Pro Nationals from my deck.
Sounds like fun.
How's your clutch holding up?

Held up great, stock clutch with just over 12,000 on the ODO when I was racing.

hcr25
December 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Im not sure about drag racing but I heard the new management at PPIR will let you run the banks if you want. :shock:

dragos13
December 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Im not sure about drag racing but I heard the new management at PPIR will let you run the banks if you want. :shock:

LMAO and with no air fence :shock: now we are talking RACING!

PremiumBlend
December 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
I just figure it's something different, maybe the club can benefit somehow and finally it's fairly close for most people b/c it's here in the metro area. I know I would love to go to PPIR but it's just a little to far away for me.

JimWilson29
December 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
I just figure it's something different, maybe the club can benefit somehow and finally it's fairly close for most people b/c it's here in the metro area.

How would the club benefit by running Wed night test and tune at Bandimere?

rybo
December 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Jim,

I'm HOPING if there is enough interest we can work out some sort of deal with Sporty to donate $XX proceeds to the MRA on Wed "Test and Tune" nights.

I would call this unlikely, but I don't have the relationship with the track to know. The current economy leaves tracks scrambling for every dollar they can earn. As such I think it would be highly unlikely that they would use the proceeds to support a race organization that cannot utilize their facility.

That being said, drag racing is a good way to hone your launch skills. An example would be watching Nick Ienatsch holeshot the grid from the last row at HPR on our last race weekend. He has a lot of racing experience, but also a ton of bike drag racing experience. I'd say it's valuable to go and practice this skill.

Scott

JimWilson29
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Jim,

I would call this unlikely, but I don't have the relationship with the track to know. The current economy leaves tracks scrambling for every dollar they can earn. As such I think it would be highly unlikely that they would use the proceeds to support a race organization that cannot utilize their facility.

That being said, drag racing is a good way to hone your launch skills. An example would be watching Nick Ienatsch holeshot the grid from the last row at HPR on our last race weekend. He has a lot of racing experience, but also a ton of bike drag racing experience. I'd say it's valuable to go and practice this skill.

Scott

Scott, I read that in his first post and I questioned the same thing you did. I am not questioning how test and tune can help a roadracer with their launch skills since I have gone to bandimere for that exact reason.

PremiumBlend
December 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Jim,

Scott

The reason I ask for peoples interest in this idea was because my thought would be if we consistently bring X number of riders monthly then of the $30 on race entries that day, maybe a $1 or so could be donated to the MRA. (This is just a very rough idea, which would have to obviously be refined as I am simply throwing numbers out there with no real factual attendance numbers to calculate)

It's just a thought, but as Scott said if you really want a solid way of testing your launch skills this is it. Not only does it tell you your 60ft times, but your 300ft times and your over all 1/4 time obviously. It just gives you an opportunity to really experiment with your RPM range, launch technique, etc.

Jon
December 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I've actually tried this on Wed nights twice this summer and it's great fun waiting in the sun. The first time they nailed me for going over a 130 without full leathers, actually they informed me that I was going 139 MPH in the quarter mile. Then I went back two weeks later and they sent me back home after two runs saying I needed a lanyard or some shit cause I went over 150 MPH. I was going to go back but I fugured they's tell me i needed a parachute the next time. I was going faster with every run and they were asking for more and more sh^t every other. At thirty dollars a shot I was getting two or three runs before they sent me home. But damn that was fun, I'd go back but I don't have a parachute.

PremiumBlend
December 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've actually tried this on Wed nights twice this summer and it's great fun waiting in the sun. The first time they nailed me for going over a 130 without full leathers, actually they informed me that I was going 139 MPH in the quarter mile. Then I went back two weeks later and they sent me back home after two runs saying I needed a lanyard or some shit cause I went over 150 MPH. I was going to go back but I fugured they's tell me i needed a parachute the next time. I was going faster with every run and they were asking for more and more sh^t every other. At thirty dollars a shot I was getting two or three runs before they sent me home. But damn that was fun, I'd go back but I don't have a parachute.

What are you running b/c that's fast!? Were you in the low 10's... b/c that MPH usually puts riders in the 10's, even high 9's sometimes.

Oh, and I think anything over 150mph requires an engine kill lanyard. Same as jet skis/snow mobiles.

PremiumBlend
December 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Bandimere's handbook:

http://www.bandimere.com/pdfs/2009RacerHandbook.pdf

racedk6
December 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM

Get a heft bag and some string and you are set :)

Jon
December 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
2008 1098 R

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
December 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
2008 1098 R
http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/jiggy.gif Buck fiddy!! http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/rock.gif

Moto-Mania
December 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Jon, you crack me up, man.
Hope you decide to "un-retire" and race again next year.

chrobis
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm game - I have a friend who has run his Miata up there (his first time he got beaten by a pickup truck...)

If we had enough of a showing we might be able to turn this into another meet-n-greet opportunity for our club.

PremiumBlend
December 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I made this a poll. (Should have from the start) If you select other, please discuss why you put "other" so I can get your input to try and incorporate as many ideas as possible.

Thanks Everyone.

T Baggins
December 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I like the idea, and know that Mark-E-Mark used to do this back in the day to help with his launches (and dragracing is fun in it's own special way...).

I voted "other"

But, I wouldn't participate because:

It's way too damn far from my house.

TZ-250's aren't exactly quality drag-racing steeds.

PremiumBlend
December 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I like the idea, and know that Mark-E-Mark used to do this back in the day to help with his launches (and dragracing is fun in it's own special way...).

I voted "other"

But, I wouldn't participate because:

It's way too damn far from my house.

TZ-250's aren't exactly quality drag-racing steeds.

You do live in the sticks. Never had to pack a lunch to get somewhere that far away. :)

N1K
December 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'd go. Would like a pratice day at the track doing starts more though.

racedk6
December 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
entering more class during the race season give you plenty of practice launching :shock:

Also at trackdays in the past at Pueblo I have practiced my launches in the "hot pit lane". Dont know if I was technically allowed to but I wasnt the only one.

PremiumBlend
December 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
If we had enough of a showing we might be able to turn this into another meet-n-greet opportunity for our club.

I'm kind of going for this as well. I figure most people who love going fast and turning wrenches would be very interested in the MRA. Maybe if enough people are interested we could go and start setting up an MRA tent and what not... just to get the word out a little bit more.

Besides, drag racers are good people. I raced for a while up at Bandimere with my 67' Chevelle in high school, just like the MRA anyone up at the track will lend a hand and ask nothing in return.

NossLou
December 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
anyone know if the PMI(pueblo) races are scheduled on a drag night? Kicked myself in the butt not participating last year....