PDA

View Full Version : Problems with recent election

The GECCO
November 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hello All,

It recently came to my and Tony's attention that there is a potential problem with the recent election. Namely, that ballots were sent out in error to people who signed up for a one-day license. Technically, only people who sign up for a full-season license or an associate membership are eligible to vote. Given how close the race for VP of Rules and Tech was it is important to find out if anyone voted that shouldn't have, and if invalidating those votes would change the outcome of the election.

Friday afternoon I picked up all the ballots and tally sheets from Jen. I asked both Jen and Tony to go through their respective records and get me lists of people who only had one-day licenses. I then went through all of the ballots to check them all against the corrected member lists. I invalidated three ballots from people who only had one-day licenses.

Invalidating these ballots did not change the outcome of any of the races.

Since we are only talking about three ballots, any race decided by more than three votes couldn't possibly be effected. The only race decided by three or less votes was VP of Rules and Tech. After the recount Bart McKiernan won by a single vote over Ben Fox.

I know that members may have a problem with the fact that I did this recount by myself, and I apologize for that. For the record, I will say that I voted for Ben (no offense, Bart!) so I would have no motivation to wrongly declare that Bart is still the winner. As always, per the Colorado Non-Profit Corporation Act, ANY active member of the organization has the right to see and inspect the ballots so anyone is free to check my work and I would take no offense. I will return the ballots to Jen at the "Board Transition" meeting in December.

So, once again, congratulations to the 2010 MRA Board of Directors!